PDA

View Full Version : My airline cue case carrier

SPetty
05-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Just had to brag and show off a little... Look at this neat cue case carrier that we made:

http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/case.jpg

It's a six inch schedule 40 pvc pipe with the bottom end cap glued on, and the top end held on by a steel rod and a few pins. It's wrapped in duct tape so that when they break it, it'll still stay together. There's a bit of firm foam inside at each end.

A couple of dog collars are pop-riveted in place to hold the shoulder strap.

Too cool, eh?

(No response necessary - it just turned out a little better than I expected...) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
05-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Oh I need to respond!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Break it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Well it's just in the nick of time.

BTW I had a peice of 12" pvc about a yard long. If I'd only known then what I do now! I could have made one and charged my buddies storage on the fight up and back! LOL Well another money making scheme went right past me.

I have one suggestion. You might want to reconsider the quick clip in favor of a small lock. Reason being the chain might get snagged and you'd loose the pin and chain and----. JAT
Otherwise pretty kool. The dogs didn't need a collar anyway.

Rod

Rich R.
05-08-2003, 04:07 AM
Rod has a good idea, about a lock.
You wouldn't want the contents of this case to disapear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2003, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ....It's wrapped in duct tape so that when they break it, it'll still stay together....<hr /></blockquote>

LOL Oh and they will

I just love the way the red and blue collars bring out the grey of the duct tape /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually that is pretty cool. Hopefully I will need to borrow it this August for APA in Vegas /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was also thinking padlocks in lieu of pins.

Rip
05-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Nifty idea SPetty. You've obviously been spending too much time around CCB's very own 'Mr. Gadget', aka Spiderman /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
I look forward to seeing you and your well protected cues tomorrow.
Rip

Fran Crimi
05-08-2003, 06:51 AM
I travel a lot with my cues and here's what I've learned about that:

It seems that with each trip I take, particularly lately, security around luggage is getting tighter and tighter, particularly since the war began. If you check a piece of luggage that is not a suitcase, it's more likely than not that security will open the case to inspect the contents. Doesn't matter what the scanner shows, they will open it. The problem is that they'll open it in the back somewhere long after you're gone, so if you have it locked, they will break the lock. If they can't break the lock, they'll break the cover or do whatever they have to do to get it open. After they inspect the contents (and you hope they won't "borrow" anything), they'll close it in whatever makeshift way they can.

I've found that the best way to transport your cues is to wrap them in bubble wrap and in heavy towels and put them in your suitcase. They don't consider suitcases to be suspicious looking and they will just proceed through the scanner. I've been traveling with my cues in my suitcase (and carrying-on my empty cue case) since 9-11 and haven't had one problem. But I've seen people with special cases for their cues have problems.

Fran

Barbara
05-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Last year before we came out, we bought some new luggage specifically so I could pack my cues within.

The only problems I encountered were with getting extra insurance on them. I maxxed out the limit to $5000. Little did I know that the one luggage case was supposed to be specially tagged and hand carried to the airplane. Plus, upon arrival I was supposed to pick it up in a special area, not with the other luggage.

This never happened on either flight, and I found out about this after our trip home.

So if you are going to get extra insurance on your cues, make sure you know what the airline's procedure is in handling that case.

Hey Susan! Have fun and don't forget to visit that one Pro that's playing!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Fran Crimi
05-08-2003, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Last year before we came out, we bought some new luggage specifically so I could pack my cues within.

The only problems I encountered were with getting extra insurance on them. I maxxed out the limit to $5000. Little did I know that the one luggage case was supposed to be specially tagged and hand carried to the airplane. Plus, upon arrival I was supposed to pick it up in a special area, not with the other luggage.

This never happened on either flight, and I found out about this after our trip home.

So if you are going to get extra insurance on your cues, make sure you know what the airline's procedure is in handling that case.

Hey Susan! Have fun and don't forget to visit that one Pro that's playing!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara, I can see how adding extra insurance could be a problem. It's like putting a red flag on your case. I bet that now with the heightened security they'd open the case for sure.

I've flown some 50,000 miles since 9-11 and nothing's happened. (I shouldn't jinx myself like this! LOL)

Fran

Popcorn
05-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I thought that myself when I saw that case. Is there any option where you can submit it for inspection in front of you? There has been a lot of theft with airline luggage. I haven't traveled in a while by air but I don't want someone messing with my cue. I like what you are doing, it makes more sense.

Paul_Mon
05-08-2003, 07:48 AM
What you've made is very simialr to what can be purchased for fishing poles. Last month I went to the Bahamas for a week and I always bring my surf casting gear with me. Usually I put it into my golf bag which goes into a clam shell type case. This year I did not bring my clubs so the largest pole I could bring (a 2 piece ultra light) went into my suitcase inside of a cardboard drawing tube. Imagine my surprise when Air Trans allowed a passenger on my flight to carry on a two piece surf casting rod!!! I just don't know what is allowed and what isn't. This guy had the poles sticking out the top of his backpack.

Paul Mon

9 Ball Girl
05-08-2003, 07:52 AM
I just bought one of those Joe Porper Traveling Cases for my cuecase, and I hope I don't have a problem come September when I fly down to Virginia. It is true that they do open things back there. Before my ex became a Captain, he used to work "back there" with the luggage. They treat them like crap and they do open up things. Tony R. told me that when he flew to Vegas last year (I think it was Vegas), he didn't have a traveling case for his cues but he still had to check them in. Upon arrival in Vegas, he opened his cue case to see that the cues were not in the slots where he had them. I think he's since gotten one of those traveling cases and he hasn't had a problem. Lara told me last year that she too uses the Joe Porper travel case and she didn't have a problem when she flew to Vegas last year.

I don't really care if they stop me to have to open my bags, but I'm sure like Fran said they'll still try to open things up back there. Inquiring minds want to know.

Fran Crimi
05-08-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I thought that myself when I saw that case. Is there any option where you can submit it for inspection in front of you? There has been a lot of theft with airline luggage. I haven't traveled in a while by air but I don't want someone messing with my cue. I like what you are doing, it makes more sense.

<hr /></blockquote>

Apparently, they can check it again in the back even if they inspect it in front of you. I watched them suggest to a player to remove the padlocks because most likely someone in the back will want to check it.

I guess you just have to keep your fingers crossed that nothing will happen to your luggage. I figure the more ordinary it looks, the less likely it will attract someone's attention.

Another thing is don't be late for your flight. The computer will tag you as being suspicious and they'll have to open your luggage in front of you and take every single thing out and inspect it, including your underwear. That happened to me once. Luckily they held the plane for me but they didn't have to.

Fran

Eric.
05-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Not to be the pessimist, but it looks like a pipe bomb!

I mean, it's a great idea but you know how it is with Homeland Security...

Neat idea either way.

Eric

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Rich:

Unfortuantely, the FAA says that we aren't allowed to lock luggage anymore. Not sure that's a major point for these specialty cue carriers, since it would be pretty easy to "disappear" the whole thing and open it at your liesure.

I have a case, within a case, within a case arrangement. Cue goes into my hard tube-type case, which fits into the foam cut-out in a marine-grade aluminum case (takedown shotgun case), which in turn is covered with a black ballistic nylon case. Overkill, but hey, it's my cue - you all understand.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

05-08-2003, 10:06 AM
damn, am glad i read this post, i'll be flying down to atlanta in a few weeks for our family reunion, and i was just going to take my cue in the same case that i carry it to the ph in, But now that i know all of this am buying one of those cue traveling cases. Man i know if i went on a flight and my cue did'nt show up when i got off the plane untouched. am suing someone. i really dont agree with homeland security, it's giving the gov to much right to just invade in our privacy.

and fran for you to have gone throught all of that because you were late, now that would have pissed me off. Their honestly just taking things to far.

Aboo
05-08-2003, 10:33 AM
You seem very knowledgable on this subject, so I'll ask you..
What happens if you just try and carry-on your cues? I used to fly to a LOT of tradeshows for work, and I would put ALL my luggage in a carry-on bag. (3-4 days worth of clothes basically) After I had my luggage lost 3 flights in a ROW.

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 10:46 AM
I know this was directed at Fran, but it's ground ball, so I hope she won't mind my responding. It's simple, they will either turn you away (best case) or confiscate your cue (worst case - you can't get it back). The FAA now deems cues weapons and they are treated accordingly. You CANNOT carry on. Sorry. This is a pain.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Barbara
05-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Fran,

I debated about getting the extra insurance and raising that red flag the whole week prior to Vegas last year. But this was also when you could lock your bag, too. Now that you can't, I'm just as happy not to be traveling with my cues. Besides, I rationalized getting the extra insurance and raising that flag to it being in their best interest to not lose my bag or any of the contents inside. After all, I could probably show the counterperson a $100 cue with fake inlays, tell them I was insuring it for $5000, and what are the odds of them knowing that it's only a $100 cue?

It was definitely a 9.5 on the sphincter factor scale last year. I'm sorry I won't be there this year, but just as glad not to go through the worries again.

Barbara~~~will miss her Vegas buddies /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Aboo
05-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Gah! As weapons! Holy crap...
They should hold it in the cockpit, if someone tries to hi-jack the plane they could use it to defend themselves, otherwise, they could give it back to me as I'm leaving the plane! LOL

Thanks for the response sir. Maybe next trip I'll see if I can smuggle it on board in the sole of my shoe....
*shakes head*

CrispyFish
05-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Would it be better to mail a cue? More expensive, certainly, but you can insure it and pack it in whatever you want to protect it.

pooltchr
05-08-2003, 11:11 AM
It may seem silly, but you obviously haven't been in some of the bars we play in down here. Cues really can be used as weapons, although it seems to make more sense to grab a house cue when things get hot and heavy.

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 11:11 AM
I have shipped a cue, on occasion, but I think it's too expensive to do on a regular basis (I travel about 14 times a year for business and usually a couple more for pleasure). I used FedEx regular overnight (I wanted it in their "system" as short a time as possible - uncontrolled environment, but that's just me)and insured it for $1500 and it cost around $40. Since then I have been told that UPS may be the better alternative due to less hassles if a claim has to be made (God forbid!). I'm going to try the "travel cue" route. A three-piecer that can be packed in a 24" bag. Doesn't stand out, less to carry.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

9 Ball Girl
05-08-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>But this was also when you could lock your bag, too<hr /></blockquote>When you say lock, do you mean that they are no longer letting you use the little locks that come with suitcases when you buy them? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Aboo
05-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Heh, believe me, I understand the potential and I'm definitely NOT saying it's silly, in a bar. But removing a cue from your case, putting it together, or not, and using it to hi-jack a plane seems a little far-fetched, don't you think?
There are just SO many other things that can be used in the same manner. God forbid they don't use sporks on the plane... someone might hi-jack the plane with a plastic fork...

I just think it's going a little over the top. It would be extremely difficult to weild even the butt end of a cue effectively as a weapon in the close confines of an airplane anyway.

05-08-2003, 11:26 AM
lol, but i agree aboo

Paul_Mon
05-08-2003, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> When you say lock, do you mean that they are no longer letting you use the little locks that come with suitcases when you buy them? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

That's right. If they are locked you risk having your lock cut off. Recently my luggage was inspected upon my return from the Bahamas. Inside my suitcase was a note stating that it had been randomly checked. While I did not lock the suitcase when I retrieved it at the final destination the zipper pulls were tyrwapped together.

Paul Mon

9 Ball Girl
05-08-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> That's right. If they are locked you risk having your lock cut off. Recently my luggage was inspected upon my return from the Bahamas. Inside my suitcase was a note stating that it had been randomly checked. While I did not lock the suitcase when I retrieved it at the final destination the zipper pulls were tyrwapped together.

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>Now that sucks. If they make you open up your bag in front of them, then they should put a sticky on it or something to let whoever "back there" know that it's already been inspected. I don't think I like the idea of someone manhandling my private stuff. It's bad enough when last year I flew down to Virginia and they made me change my clothes because my skirt was too short to board the plane. Some sort of dresscode. For God's sake!

But I've also noticed that with carryon luggage, I used to be able to carry it on the plane with me and store it in the overhead. Last time I flew, although it was carryon luggage, they took it and put it in with the rest of the checked baggage in the belly of the plane. The only thing was that the carryon stuff had a green label indicating so. I thought maybe they could do that with the poolcues.

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2003, 12:45 PM
I vote for 9BG to post a pic of herself in that skirt for us to make our own decision if it is too short. Any seconds??? ;-) sid

05-08-2003, 12:47 PM
lol

pooltchr
05-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Sid, I like the way you think!!! LOL

Fran Crimi
05-08-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr>
and fran for you to have gone throught all of that because you were late, now that would have pissed me off. Their honestly just taking things to far. <hr /></blockquote>

You know, the funny thing was that I wasn't really late. I was really early, and the agent suggested that another flight was about to leave and would I like to take that one instead. I said sure and after she made the transfer, she said "Oops. The computer says you're late for this flight so we're going to have to search your bag." Go figure.

Fran

Rod
05-08-2003, 01:39 PM
What? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Sometimes you try to do the right thing and-------

SpiderMan
05-08-2003, 02:40 PM
One of the players in my BCA league makes and sells those. Not sure how much business he gets. He sells the 4" version for about $89, I think: http://www.shipacue.com

SpiderMan

ceebee
05-10-2003, 03:27 PM
hey there SPetty... nice idea. I opted for something similar myself.. I then decided, after the New Orleans BCA Theft debaucle..., that money can help keep your goods safe too. I ship my Beautiful Pechauer, my Predator Break Cue along with my Custom Jump cue, in my InStroke case, &amp; insure it for $4000... it gets there everytime, in my PVC Case. Sometimes I kinda wish they would come up missing, so I could go shopping!