PDA

View Full Version : magnetic chalk holders!

05-07-2003, 10:25 PM
does it bother anyone else that all the magnetic chalk holders have just that tiny little hole and you cant go from side to side with the chalk???

Popcorn
05-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Seems like you could make something yourself, better then some of the stuff they sell. Some Europeans have sort of a little pouch on their belt they carry the chalk in. I thought these were kind of cool.

Rod
05-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Funny I was going to post about chalk holders myself.
In the recent thread about cue accessories I noticed many of you have chalk holders. Does it bother anyone just having that thing attached to you? I guess not but it would bother me. Reminds me of one of those pocket protectors. LOL Spiderman's was last seen going down the crapper. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif At any rate I'll play with blue or green or mix. I don't have a favorite peice of chalk. Not only that but I don't mind walking around before I shoot. It gives me a better opportunity to survey the table. I have heard many times here that you'all do survey the table, don't you?

One thing about many pool players, they either need a pool cue to hold on to or a peice of chalk to grind or a tip to fiddle with. I guess that's because they think, or at least hope they'll get another shot. Well either that or it's a security blanket. Who knows, I just thought it was interesting. BTW I won't hold it against you if you do own one. Spidey still likes me, don't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod

pooldaddy9
05-08-2003, 04:22 AM
I made one, one time using velcro which made it no different from regular chalk. I do now use one that snaps in. Didn't like it to start with but now I am lost without it. I was the same way when I first used a glove.Now sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.It's what you get use to.

bluewolf
05-08-2003, 04:56 AM
ww likes the magnetic one. I have the clip on one that you have to pull out the string to chalk the cue but do not like it very much.

At valley forge I found something I liked better. It is a stick, with a short piece of string attached to the leather chalk holder. One can have the stick in pocket with the chalk holder hanging out or stuff the whole thing in your pocket which is what I do. But then i am a blue jeans and tee shirt type person.

I guess if I was at a tournament with dress codes , I would have to use the clip on one, so is a good thing I have both of them.

btw, we had the type with the little hole in it at first. There are many that have the whole thing open so that all of the chalk is exposed.

Laura

pooltchr
05-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Not all of them are like that. I have one called the ultimate chalk holder. The magnet clips to my belt, and the chalk is held by a metal spring type holder that pinches two sides of the chalk. No cover over the top of the chalk, and no hole in the plastic to deal with. It works great, and I can chalk up without drilling through the middle of the chalk.

WaltVA
05-08-2003, 06:14 AM
I got tired of picking up my chalk every time I sat down and knocked it of that magnetic holder; got one with a stronger magnet, that pulled the metal bases off the chalk holder; tried the holder that hung out, with a small bead chain to the tip-pic that went in your pocket; finally went back to my old standby of putting my cube of chalk in my left hip pocket. Works fine, and I've gotten used to having blue handkerchiefs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Walt in VA

Brady_Behrman
05-08-2003, 06:19 AM
www.tip-pik.com (http://www.tip-pik.com)

http://www.tip-pik.com/supershadow22J3.jpg

cheesemouse
05-08-2003, 06:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reminds me of one of those pocket protectors. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL.....I was trying to think of something that would discribe how I really felt about these magnetic chalk holder thingee's and couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't seem insulting to those that use them...your pocket protector analogy perfectly attaches the PONDEXTER connection I was looking for...hehehe....I'm glad your the one who will have to take the heat for being sooooo narrow minded...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know that very fine poolplayers use them but I will give anyone of them the breaks the first time out.....LOL...I know this is a biased thinking and I can live with the flaw.....LOL

P.S.
I did once super glue a piece of chalk to a hackey-sack...LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
05-08-2003, 06:33 AM
I just take the cover of the cube off and don't use it. Karen uses the chalk pouch. I was thinking the same thing Rod. Chalk holders are to pool geeks like pocket protectors are to electronic geeks. I tried keeping the chalk in my left hand, even when shooting, like I have seen some players do, but it is not comfortable for me. And since I don't always chalk up on every shot I keep forgetting to pick up the chalk so the chalk holder is handy. But usually the chalk on the table is too far worn down, or not what I like to use. Jake

Fred Agnir
05-08-2003, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JWHTA:</font><hr> does it bother anyone else that all the magnetic chalk holders have just that tiny little hole and you cant go from side to side with the chalk??? <hr /></blockquote>I think you're using it wrong. Just a guess, but the other chalk holders with the little hole, the hole is just there so that you can separate the two halves easier. I have two magnetic chalk holders. One has the little hole. Just take that half off.

http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=25-950

If the other half doesn't hold the chalk well (no interference), wrap some masking tape around it. Usually just one pass will do it.

Fred

Fred Agnir
05-08-2003, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Does it bother anyone just having that thing attached to you? I guess not but it would bother me. <hr /></blockquote>Here's an RSB post from '98

Name: Fred Agnir
Date: Friday, October 9, 1998 at 08:05:55

Because of on-line virtual peer pressure, I purchased one of those clip on magnetic chalk holders, vowing never to place chalk on the rails again. I used this handy device last night for the first time during league play. Here are the results:
1) Knocked off of holder: 6-times.
2) Then stepped on chalk: 3-times.
3) Hit with cue stick: Everytime (until I switched sides).
4)Hit with hand (and turned fingers blue): Every other time.
5)Left on rail: 3-times. :-o
6)Used to mark pocket (APA): 1-time.
7)Lost chalk at bar while ordering Guinness: 1-time.
8)Ridiculed for all of the above: Countless times. :-(
Maybe I need to try the chalk-on-a-rope?

-- Fred Agnir --

Note: I've sinced graduated to the chalk-on-a-rope.

Fred

Rip
05-08-2003, 07:01 AM
A mysterious noise was reported this morning near the Las Vegas Strip. At first report it was thought to be some type of insect noise, possibly an invasion of gargantuan crickets. It was then reported there was no need for alarm, as it's simply the sound of the first few hundred of the 8000 BCA folks arriving, clicking their magnetic chalk em'ups as they prepare for the tournament.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifRip /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

05-08-2003, 07:36 AM
WELL, personally i dont use chalk holders, i will either put put a piece of chalk in my back pocket or when am at the poolhall i'll just make sure the chalk is either full or alteast a lil bit used, other than that i dont worry about where the chalk is &amp; if i'll lose it.

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 07:54 AM
OK, I'll admit it, I'm a pool nerd and an equipment freak ta'boot. I used the magnetic holders for years. Abandoned the little box that holds the chalk cube and just contact cemented a 1" flat washer to the bottom of the chalk. Works great. Still didn't like the "knock-off" factor, so switched to floridafreds.com pool-pocket about two years ago. Just a small pouch with a tongue that loops over your belt and attaches to itself with velcro. Works great (unless you wear your shirt outside your pants). Never have tried chalk-on-a-rope, but have friends (it could happen) that swear by them. I like the pouch.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

bluewolf
05-08-2003, 09:03 AM
I like my leather one that fits right in my pocket. I have brown or tan chalk. I like that color. I do not like the blue at the ph. It is boring to me. WW likes the green. That is boring to me too. The red is pretty but it makes a mess.

So i stick with my pocket holder and my tan or brown chalk LOL

Laura

05-08-2003, 01:29 PM
The best reason to use a chalk holder is, in my experience, to make sure that you get a good piece of chalk-- I once miscued during a tournament only to find that I'd chalked up with wet chalk... Since then I've used a chalk holder of some type or kept the chalk in my pocket whenever I'm in a game that might tempt someone to get an edge by spitting in the chalk.

That being said, I like the Tip Pik holder pictured above or the velcro chalk holders better than the magnetic ones.

Rod
05-08-2003, 01:37 PM
That was my thinking to Cheese, great minds think alike! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Really the chalk holder thing is more related to league. I can understand why considering where they may have to play sometimes. It still wasn't enough for my own special holder but then were all different. I've probably played with the worst chalk in the world, but then my opponent played with the same. It still didn't make us even. LOL

Rod

cycopath
05-08-2003, 01:46 PM
T-shirt breast pocket = my chalk holder.

SpiderMan
05-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Everyone I know leaves off the little one-hole cover, just uses the holder and the magnet.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2003, 04:06 PM
I didn't think you were supposed to keep that piece with the hole in it on the holder,,,I remove mine entirely and put it in the pouch until I fold up for the day...sid

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2003, 04:18 PM
I've used magnetic holders for many years, and what you'll find out is that there are good ones and not so good ones. Basically though you have to sand down the metal base of the chalk holder so you get a flush connection with the magnet, then it is hard to knock off. In fact, you'll find that you have to slide the chalk holder off when retrieving it for use, once you get the flush condition. Some of the cheap designs are needing some tweaking, that's all. They are relatively cheap, the string doesn't break and I never flushed one down the toilet!

Attach a tip pik onto it, what's THAT for? The chalk is used for the grip, the pik is nothing but a tip killer. The pik is a good candidate for the toilet now that I think anbout it ;-) Sid

Deeman
05-09-2003, 09:09 AM
I know I will catch hell for this but I always kinda felt like a chalk holder was a little like a pocket protector that identified the carrier as an obsessed sort of person. I did have a silver one once that a friend gave me (no relation to the Color of Money thing) and I always felt like Little Lord Faunterroy when holding it. I did learn to shoot with the piece in my bridge hand while shooting but that seems to worry too many people ( I don't know why!).

I do stick an extra cube in my pocket in case the ones on the table disappear or they are using something bewsides Masters.

cycopath
05-09-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr>I did have a silver one once that a friend gave me (no relation to the Color of Money thing) and I always felt like Little Lord Faunterroy when holding it.<hr /></blockquote>LOL! Now that's funny.

05-09-2003, 12:26 PM
if you leave the top off of the chalk holder how does it hold the chalk???

Scott Lee
05-09-2003, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cassady:</font><hr> The best reason to use a chalk holder is, in my experience, to make sure that you get a good piece of chalk-- I once miscued during a tournament only to find that I'd chalked up with wet chalk... Since then I've used a chalk holder of some type or kept the chalk in my pocket whenever I'm in a game that might tempt someone to get an edge by spitting in the chalk.
<hr /></blockquote>

No offense, but if you looked at your tip when you chalked it (which, admittedly many players do NOT, but SHOULD), that could never happen. I have seen players miscue, chalk up, but not look and miss covering the miscue...and then miscue AGAIN, because they hit the exact same spot on the tip. When chalking, make sure you chalk the edge of the tip! This is where you need chalk the most. As part of my lessons, I teach people how to correctly chalk their cues!
It's often amazing how many people pay so little attention to how they chalk...let alone how often!

Scott Lee

SpiderMan
05-09-2003, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JWHTA:</font><hr> if you leave the top off of the chalk holder how does it hold the chalk??? <hr /></blockquote>

The chalk cube is usually a press fit inside the bottom piece. If not, put a little tape around the outside of the chalk cube to make it "bigger".

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Ain't it the truth! I have a very good friend/player(better'n me) who will swipe the tip once, maybe twice but not inspect the tip. Maybe this chalking process will happen again 3-5 shots latter and eventually the miscue will occur. What's happens then you ask? Out comes the tip mauler out of the pouch and he goes to sawing the tip down to "spank it into submission"....sid~~~gotta a sore tongue from having to bite it so often and not saying "WELL CHALK THE THING, AIN'T THAT POOR LEATHER'S FAULT!"

bell
05-09-2003, 08:13 PM
I wear a vest. The vest pocket works fine.