PDA

View Full Version : Confidence and pool

bluewolf
05-08-2003, 04:46 AM
In my early matches, I lost many. After I lost the first two, I became very down on myself, had a defeatest attitude and lost somemore. So, when I went into the playoffs last session, in which I beat the good sl4 with my spot, I had 13 matches and 5 wins. This session has been better and I have won more due to confidence I think, but have been definately playing catch up for early losses.

I eventually overcame this for the most part. I do catch myself slip from time to time. When faced with a low percentage shot, my brain would say 'that one is hard, I do not know if I can make it, but will try'. Very predictably I would miss that shot. I have found that many shots which seemed hard really were good shots for me, and should be high percent for me, but were not because of that organ between my ears.

It is funny. I have made almost every shot on the table at sometime. I think this means the capability is there but lack of expereince and not knowing exactly how I made that shot. While some of it is skill or lack of, I beleive that not making some of those shots more often was an attitude and lack of confidence in my ability.

That is why scott has questions,ending with being certain one has the correct aim, stance etc and that the ball is going into the hole.

We have playoffs tonight. We feel that we will play a certain team. ww will play a 7. There is a 5 who is a good shot and probably the best safety player in our league who is not a 7. ww was looking at our team and thinks I would have the best chance to beat him. Now, I would have a huge spot 5-2 race, but i still find that amusing. Our 4s would not beat him. Our five would not beat him because he literally tears his opponents apart with safety, guile and good shooting. They literally fold. I hope that I do get to play him. He is a very good person, I like to play a good player to play my best. It would be an honor and a challenge to play him. Now I am not being egotistical or unrealistic. I am not huffed up and saying 'I will beat him'. What I now think it that no matter how good the opponent is, a person has to go into that match believing that they will win, in order to play their very best and to have that chance.

Who knows? I saw a 7 get beat by a 3 because it was 7-2 race and the 7 who rarely scratches, scratched twice. LOL

That is why I now have this mantra "I see the shot, I see the pot". This, I say during my preshot. It is not thinking, but rather blocking out thinking. it makes me believe that I will make the shot. This does not mean that I always make the shot. But there is one important thing in all of that.

I believe

Kind of wonder if others use ways to maintain confidence and what they are.

Laura

05-08-2003, 07:15 AM
laura, cofidence is your game, if your not confident in what your doing then your almost sure to lose each and everytime, learn to respect your self, your shot, your thoughts.

Also i never fear any other player no matter how good they are, simply because i know that i'd just better not miss. Besides when am shooting all i focus on is the table. I've beat players that are damn good, and the reason other people wont play them is because they know they'll lose, i dont know if i will lose but i do know i'll shoot my ass off and do it without fear.

as i said in a previous post, get rid of your fears. and shoot that damn shot with CONFIDENCE, otherwise dont shoot.

NO FEAR = 1000% CONFIDENCE.

bluewolf
05-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks. Like I said. I hope I get to play this guy or somebody real good, so I can play my best pool!!!!

Last session in the playoffs, we had this strong 4 to play, who a few weeks later became a 5. Our 5 had already played another 5. Our 4 was not strong enough to beat him in a dead even race. Our good three did not have enough of a spot. So I was put on him as a dump. They and me too were so shocked when I beat him.So you are right and I have said it so many times ' a thing is only impossible until someone does it'.

Getting ready to hit the table. Am pretty excited about tonight. I hope I get to play.!!!!!

Laura

Aboo
05-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Good luck tonight! We have our last match before play-offs tonight. If we take 4+ points from this team, we'll have a shot at the play-offs. If they take that many from us, they'll have a shot :P
I'm nervous as hell, and excited too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know the team well and know the match-ups I want. There is only one person on their team can spoil our party I think. He's a 6 and I'll prolly have to play him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't wait!

bluewolf
05-08-2003, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> Good luck tonight! We have our last match before play-offs tonight. If we take 4+ points from this team, we'll have a shot at the play-offs. If they take that many from us, they'll have a shot :P
I'm nervous as hell, and excited too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know the team well and know the match-ups I want. There is only one person on their team can spoil our party I think. He's a 6 and I'll prolly have to play him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can't wait! <hr /></blockquote>

Good luck to you too.. Tonight there will be two matchups. The two winners play on saturday. That winner plays the no one team next thurs to decide who gets to compete at that prevegas tournament in baltimore. I dont think we have quite the team for vegas,but you never can tell and it certainly would be fun to go to Baltimore.

Depending on who we play, if anyone gets used as a dump, it will probably be me. I would like that because i like playing good players.One thing, it seems the lower players just have a mess all over the table, if that makes sense.Balls everywhere, no strategy, keep making more clusters for me to try, and I mean the operative word is try, to break up.

Laura

Aboo
05-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Well, we won, but not by enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The team we were trying to catch scored to many points (against the no. 1 team /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) So even if we had taken 4 instead of 3 it wouldn't have been enough. I won my match 3-1 against a 5, Our 5 smoked a 6 to win his match and our other 4 beat a 2.
Our 7 was off and lost vs a 6, 4 games to none /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif and Our 3 BARELY lost to one of their 4's, that was a good match /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was fun night, and the pool hall is giving all the league players free pool from 7-9 on league nights till the next session starts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How did your evening turn out bluewolf?

Icon of Sin
05-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Im guessing your Playoffs are at teh Green Room Tonite right? If so, I'll be there as well, our team made it also. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Aboo
05-09-2003, 09:14 AM
No, no play-offs for my team, and I play in Kansas City, MO.
No Green room there that I know of /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Or did you mean to reply to bluewolf?

SpiderMan
05-09-2003, 09:48 AM
How about a post-game report on how the matches went? Did you get to play the 5? Who played who, how did it go each match?

SpiderMan

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 12:06 PM
We lost.

We have a new team already for next time. One guy our five announced he was going to start his own team. ww said he and I would Join the new team. Our good four and our three went with us. Then ww recruited a strong 5 and a good six. All this was done in about 5 minutes.

I did not realize how much the way the previous team had affected me. Everybody on this new team is very good at their designated APA rank. I feel that this big load has been lifted off of me.

Now I am looking forward to next session. I have known all of the players for a long time.

Laura

Aboo
05-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Well, bummer about losing /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif But congrats on the new team /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If anyone knows a good 2 or 3 (APA handicap) that's looking for a team in the Kansas City, MO area, let me know /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> How about a post-game report on how the matches went? Did you get to play the 5? Who played who, how did it go each match?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Our four played their four and we lost
Our five played their six and lost
Our four played another four and lost

In the first match, the girl was a very good shooter, but did not know much shape and very little safety play. I think she is able to win most all the time at 4 level just based on her shooting. However our guy knew safe and even though he was not shooting as well, it made it a closer race than it would have been otherwize. She was really starting to crumple due to the safety games,(safety players do have that effect on run and gun players who arent expereinced imo) but still she won, but it was close.

Second match was our five. he shot well. The six was a good shooter too and played quite a number of safes. Since our guy is not much of a safety skill person, with the shooting abilities being even, that tipped the balance in favor of their six.Also our guy gets very flustered when playing safety players even when he is a better shooter, so he also scratched on the eight twice.

Then our four played their four. She is by far a better shooter and is a good banker too. It seemed to me that he was a plodder and got her off her pace, and she started to frustrate, scratched on the eight twice. Clueless about what caused the scratches.

Since it stopped at 3 matches , ww and I did not get to play. Also it was not the team we were expecting that has the 5 that is good on safes and is a good shooter too.

Laura

05-11-2003, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>

That is why I now have this mantra "I see the shot, I see the pot".

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

I say that too.