PDA

View Full Version : Changing tips right before tourney play

Ralph S.
05-08-2003, 07:30 AM
A good aquaintence of mine who is also one of the leading local players got into a discussion about changing tips before a tournament. I was the one who had the tip changed. I got rid of the Lepro and went with a Talisman medium on the advice of the cue guy who is also at the top of the food chain around here. I have never played with a layered tip until now. The first guy says it is very bad to change like that because your not used to the way the tip will play. I thought otherwise as did the cue repair guy.

I played very well and actually like the way the talisman plays. I was just wondering what everyone else here might think about changing tips before a tourney, particularly to a brand you had previously never played with before.

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2003, 07:54 AM
I'll probably be in the minority here, but I like a new tip before any outing, tournaments included. If anything, I have instant success with a fresh, new tip. I really don't go for all of the ittsy-bitsy reasons many people have for maintaining their edge, and losing a worn tip by replacing it with a new one is a positive experience(imo.) BUT if it's in a players head that they are in tune with the old tip and will miss a shot after losing it, then don't change it. It's a mental thing though, just as it is mental that I play better with something new until the newness wears off...sid

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 07:58 AM
Just as a side note, Busta had the tip on his cue changed (don't know the brands involved) just before the Ocean State Open. It obviously didn't bother him, since he won it!

Adios,

Pizza Bob

9 Ball Girl
05-08-2003, 08:06 AM
I had my tip on my Viking change from the LePro to a Moori right before play 2 weeks ago. Didn't bother me at all and it hits great!

Fred Agnir
05-08-2003, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Just as a side note, Busta had the tip on his cue changed (don't know the brands involved) just before the Ocean State Open. <hr /></blockquote>I'm guessing that he carries his own pre-smashed and pre-treated tips.

Fred

SpiderMan
05-08-2003, 02:50 PM
I prefer not to make equipment changes immediately before an important event. Each year I take my team to 'Vegas, and I plan my last tip change to occur a couple of months prior. Having a familiar feel of my cue and tip speeds my adjustment to the unfamiliar tables and surroundings, it's like an anchor from which to fish.

SpiderMan

Rod
05-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Ralph,
I'd never play with an unknown tip before a tournament. I'd play with another shaft even if I did not like the tip as well. Just recently (in the last year or so) I have found tips that I like. I will change to the same brand, in this case. In other cases I have to play with them for a while until there broken in. They usually are to soft and don't feel right until there compressed a little. In the case of a lepro you never know what hardness your getting.

Rod

Ralph S.
05-08-2003, 04:33 PM
The guy that wasnt too keen on the idea pretty much listed the same reasons as you Spiderman. As to Fred,s response, I am not sure if he carries his own extras with him.

TalismanTony
05-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi Ralph,

I think that if you are changing to a new brand of tip (like changing from LePRO to Talisman - good choice by the way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) it would probably be better to change a week or so before an important tourney so as to feel completely used to your cue with the new tip. If you are replacing your old tip with a new one of the same brand then you should probably give yourself a few hours of play to let the tip settle, before the big game.

Kind regards,