PDA

View Full Version : 9yrs old

05-08-2003, 08:50 AM
last week, i was at the poolhall, after i had just left another poolhall, so me and a friend went up to my reg ph. Now i look throught the window but i thought i was just seeing things, but when i walked in the door, oh [censored] a 9yr old lil boy was playing 1p and winning, he was beating grown men like they stole something, so later on about 45min later i look back over to see who was in the ph, and this lil guy is play 3cb, now am damn near speachless. eventually i was like the hell with this, i want to play this guy. so we play and am talking to him and his dad. Come to find out that he's been shooting since he was 7 and loves to play 1p, LOL. So were playing 1p and the 1st 2 games i beat'em and the last 2 he bet me, i was in total shock. but his stroke, eyes, shot selection was on the money. i'd say this kid is going to be beating his friends out of their lunch money by the time he's 15.

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Was this poolroom in Jersey? Off I-295, exit 47? Sharky's? If so, the kid was written up in Inside Pool about a year or so ago. I've seen the kid, but never seen him play - supposed to be awesome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

05-08-2003, 09:23 AM
naw, this was at mosconi's poolhall here in philly, right off 95

Aboo
05-08-2003, 10:44 AM
I have a 5 year old that loves to play pool with me. I would be VERY interested in ideas to help a child this young have fun and learn good fundementals at the same time.

I am having trouble finding something large enough for him to stand on, but not to heavy to drag around our pool room. Right now, he's using a milk crate, but it makes balancing scary when he's shooting anything that's not close to the rail /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Pizza Bob
05-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Loree Jon's dad built a raised "track" around the table for her to stand on. I would suppose an adult could reach over it. Just a thought.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

05-08-2003, 10:52 AM
i really dont know what to tell you, i have a 2yr old son, who i have to hide my cues from, he's always getting my shaft trying to stroke. but just recently i bought him a kiddie pool table from sears, and that's just about where he spends his time at, besides eating and riding shotgun with me. the funny thing is though, i would have never expected him to like pool so much at 2yrs old. the crate sounds good to me as long as it's the long one.

Aboo
05-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking something along the lines of a mobile hot-tub step sort of thing.

It's funny watching him lay his head side-ways over the cue and shoot with a cupped hand bridge... but I KNOW it's not good for him in the long term /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Aboo
05-08-2003, 11:02 AM
I bought my son a shortened cue from the billiards shop here in town. It's just a miniature version of a house cue. So he has his own. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cole (my sons name) like's to play, but he gets frustrated and angry when the ball doesn't go where he thinks it should.
But, he can beat his mom 2 out of 5 times in 8ball.
When I play him, I give him ball in hand on every ball but the 8-ball. But he doesn't like getting weight, so sometimes refuses to take it! lol

Kato
05-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Then we all need to watch out for Christ Cass. Chris says he's got his stroke and "gets it". Guess I'm in a lot of trouble.LOL

Kato~~~kids, go figure.

Popcorn
05-08-2003, 11:27 AM
It will be sooner then that. Some kids really pick up the game quick. I used to give Dennis Hatch the 7-ball he was about 15. In less then a year we were playing even, in less then another year I needed the 7-ball to have any chance.

arn3
05-08-2003, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr> ....i'd say this kid is going to be beating his friends out of their lunch money by the time he's 15. <hr /></blockquote>
nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Perk
05-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Maybe get an executive table? for the young ones.

Karatemom
05-09-2003, 07:34 PM
When our son was small, we sat him on a chair and let him shoot from there. If he wanted it moved, he moved it, LOL. He shot most of his shots from the rail. This turned out to be a good thing, because he's quite good at them now.

He also shot sidearm as a youngster, but has since grown into a regular stance. He's still a bit short for his age, but doesn't shoot sidearm anymore. He just grew out of it.

Heide

snipershot
05-10-2003, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Loree Jon's dad built a raised "track" around the table for her to stand on.
Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>

When Nick Varner was 4 years old, his dad tied a coke crate to his pants so Nick could drag it around as he shot, I guess that's why Nick won all those world championships! LOL