PDA

View Full Version : Pool Table on ebay $250,000?!?!?

UWPoolGod
05-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Geezuz. I know there are people around with that type of cash to blow, but come on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3607478714&category=21 213

Cueless Joey
05-08-2003, 03:36 PM
They're smoking crack.
This table wouldn't sell for half that price.

dg-in-centralpa
05-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Nice looking table and interesting history. But not for that amount of money. Think of how many original Balabushkas I could buy for that money? I wish I had some of what they are smoking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Aboo
05-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Well, yes that is a LOT of money for a "pool table".
But, if, and that is a BIG IF for that kind of money for ANYTHING on eBay is safe...
That appears to be an awesome collectors item.

And if you were Bill Gates or John D. Rockafelor esque' that would be one really really really cool conversation piece to put in your pool room /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Is someone gave me 2,000,000,000,000 dollars... I would buy it without thinking twice! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
05-09-2003, 11:43 AM
From the pictures, the wood working in that table appears to be of a very high quality. Although that is an amazing amount to spend on a pool table, it is not outrageous for a high quality antique. Barring an expert opinion, I would say, it may be worth the price, but what do I know? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That table probably belongs in a museum.

NH_Steve
05-09-2003, 07:50 PM
That table has been on eBay at least twice before over the last couple of years, IIRC. Pretty impressive, but the demand doesn't seem to be there for it at that kind of price...

Fran Crimi
05-10-2003, 06:09 AM
This is the part that makes me suspicious:

"The Dorfelder company is still in business specializing in piano cabinetry. They have the records on making this table, the only billiard table they ever made; however, I have not been able to communicate with them as I don't speak German."

C'mon...if someone's going to try to sell a table for 250k, you'd think they would do the legwork to have the original documents copied and translated to find out why the table was made and for whom instead of all the speculation.

My guess is that they do know that information and it was probably made for some European aristocrat, nobody special, and they would rather that someone buys into the speculation that it was once owned by Grant, maybe because it's origin isn't all that interesting.

Fran

Deeman
05-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Fran,

I agree. Many of us speak German so doing a little "leg work" for $250K seems a minor thing. The Germans are notorious for keeping detailed records on things they manufacture so I'm sure they have all the detail you would want. Like you said, maybe they don't want to hear it. Since American Express probably won't approve a purchase like that for me, I'll just have to let the eventual buyer beware. However, I think it will be a cold day in Eisenach before they get that much for it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snipershot
05-10-2003, 08:11 PM
That is one nice table, now if I can only get my hands on $250,000+ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

05-11-2003, 08:33 AM
i noticed the table is being shown at Blatt's Billiards in NYC. they are certainly on the up and up but to me absurdly overpriced on some things..namely common Brunswick models. from what i've heard they do about the best restoraion work in the world. according to TomBrooklyn they also have the table(an unusual stainless steel flash gordon looking thing) i had asked about on this message board previously..for $35,000!
what strikes me as odd is not only the price point but the lack of documentation from Blatt's as they could dig it up as good as anyone. strange too as one would think such a price would have more direct historical signifigance. i doubt any of Mark Twain's verified tables would fetch near that.
hmmm. anyway, for other very high end tables to lose sleep over, check out blattbilliards.com. i like a few of their more modern designs. now if i had a hundred million dollars or so i still couldn't justify such a purchase, a Brunswick Centennial would make me happier than a table that pricey.
best regards,
^v^

L.S. Dennis
05-11-2003, 11:31 AM
I don't know about this pool table but I do remember a pool cue that sold for $103,000. Several years back. If my memory serves me right, it was made by a cue maker up in Alaska and was called the "Celtic" or something like that.

Scott Lee
05-11-2003, 11:56 AM
That would be Thomas Wayne, but the cue didn't actually sell for that much...closer to half of that. However, the cue itself, is very imaginatively created, and even the chinese would find it hard to duplicate. The main thing about Wayne's cue, imo, is it is not made to play with... only to look at. At least Cognoscenti, Gina, Schick, and other high end cues are made to be played with, not hung on a wall.

Scott Lee

05-11-2003, 04:45 PM
i think i'll buy it

but the bank thinks otherwise

TomBrooklyn
05-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Your skepticism is well founded Fran. An expert I talked to who is familiar with that table said it is probably worth about $75,000. unless the owner can document that it was owned by Grant and/or some other famous persons. By the way, Blatt is not selling that table, they are just storing it. Blatt doesn't sell anything on eBay.