PDA

View Full Version : My Teams 1st VNEA state Tournement

GreenLion
05-08-2003, 07:55 PM
This is my 1st post in here so i hope i sound ok.2 yrs ago i joined the VNEA(Valley National 8 Ball League Association)and i have really enjoyed it.StarLite Night Club is our teams sponser.This Yr our team made 1st place and we were invited to the state 8ball tournament in Canton,Ohio /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifIt was an experience ill never forget!They had close to 100 tables in that place!We did not do as well as we had hoped cuase we were eliminated the 1st night.We are a good bunch of shooters its just that not knowing what to expect and all that pressure effected some of us.1 of the guys on my team said that not knowing how good the person is he was playing made him a bit nervous at the table.On league nights we play using a Handicaped system so you kinda know what your up agianst.Up there there was no handicap at all.Even though we did not do as well as hoped we still had fun and besides theres always next time and when that time comes agian alot of us will know what to expect.Lets see why i was up there i got a Jacket with a label on it that says Pool Shark hehe.I got a shirt that says(Coed Naked Billiards Get felt on the table)hehe.I got some nice things for my family.I cant wait to go back hopefully next yr.I just wanted to share my experience with you all.

Rod
05-08-2003, 08:13 PM
New surroundings like that can mess with your game and confidence. You sure have the right attitude though. You all will be better next year plus you'll know what to expect.

Read this thread if you haven't allready. It's about playing the nationals in Vegas. There was a little dis-agreement but there is a parallel there. Vegas might have 200 or more tables.

Get ready for next year and thanks for the story.

Rod

GreenLion
05-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Thx Rod for replying /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gifI cant find that post your talking about.Im probaly just looking over it.200 Tables....wow that something.

wolfdancer
05-08-2003, 09:24 PM
240 last year, with 7000 players (went down to watch)don't know if I could make a ball down there....last year the team from Spain, on their fifth try won it all. how good was the pool?? Mostly one inning games...one mistake, and you're out...no 3 strike rule

Rod
05-08-2003, 09:29 PM
OOPS sorry, here is the link. http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=76357&page= 0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

GreenLion
05-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Some of us on the team were less affected by the pressure.I won 6 of the 8 games i played up there.I dont really want to answer for anyone else cuase i feel its not my place.We were eliminated on our second match unfortunatly but thats how it goes sometimes.I was fairly confident i could play well in fact i was antsy waiting for my match.I did have buterfly in my stomach on the beginning of my matches.Once i won 2 my nerves were better and my rythem got pretty fast.the 2 games i lost were due to just missing 1 ball.One miss i never got back to the table.So i had basically had to run or come out with a safty on those other games.my second game in my second match was a safty fight.It saftys finaly ended when i left him just enough room to make 1 of his striped balls.He went for it and hit the point of the side pocket.after that i ran all my solid balls right down to the 8,But i could not easily make the 8 cuase i snookerd myself behind 1 of his striped balls.I was really upset about that cuase i worked hard to get the opening to run the table only to end up like that.Here a diagram of what i left myself with.START(
%A[2\6%B[4\6%C[1\3%D[7\3%E[2\6%F[4\7%G[6\7%HE4Z0%I[3\7%J[3\6
%K[1\8%L[4\8%M[3\3%N[4\8%O`8Q9%Pb1P0%WF1Y2%Xa1P2%[E3Z6%\E2Y0
%]C6C6%^E0[2
)END
The arrows show what i wanted to do(Cross Bank it which was a foolish choice on my part)
Heres what happened when i tried to cross bank itSTART(
%K[1\8%L[4\8%M[3\3%N[4\8%O`8Q9%Pb1P0%Wr4[0%XC1Z4%[E0Z8%\E0Z2
%]C9Z7%^E0[2
)END
Heres what i should have done in my opinion:
START(
%A[2\6%B[4\6%C[1\3%D[7\3%E[2\6%F[4\7%G[6\7%HE3Z2%I[3\7%J[3\6
%K[1\8%L[4\8%M[3\3%NW8D4%O`8Q9%Pb1P0%Wr4[0%XT1U5%[E8Z1%\s1S7
%]r5S4%^b3P1%eB4b5
)END
I probaly would have made it that way.Oh well it was a learning experiance.

Rod
05-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Why are you banking that ball? Even that close a downward stroke with the cue will jump a small fraction (which is all you need) of the stripe ball and pocket the 8 straight in. Either that or a slightly elevated cue with low left to swerve the c/b around the stripe. If you could hit the side of the 8 ball either of the above works very well.

Rod

Aboo
05-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Is there a specifc elevation of the cue, or a rule to follow when trying to jump the edges of balls like that? I have seen 7's in my league do that, but I can never get the cue off the table.
The curve is what I would have tried. Sometimes I can make it curve, sometimes I hit it to hard and it skates on me /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Either way, he'd of probably ended up shooting over the rail to pot one of his balls.

cheesemouse
05-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Aboo,

Here's an easy way to find out what your elevation should be for jumping edges, it is slightly different for everyone so you have to practice this in order to feel comfortable doing it in a game:

START(
%Ak7R9%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%Hr3D9%I L7O4%Ji4R0
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Ph9U9
)END

Notice that the 1 & 10 are close enough together that the cb will not pass between them. You can start out by placing them where the cb will nearly pass but not quite then line the cb straight in on the 8-ball, elevate your cue some and fire it in with center english; just mess around with distances and gaps, you'll get the feel for the elevation and force needed for the shot real fast. This called jumping the gap or the edges.....

Rod
05-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Aboo,
Keep in mind to make this shot the aim line is only changed a tiny fraction. You'll notice from where the c/b starts it's only a few thousands of an inch. Look at this closely and you'll see what I mean. Distance to the o/b is to your advantage.
START(
%K[1\8%L[4\8%M[3\3%N[4\8%O`8Q9%Pb1P0%Q_4P1%UG0Y4%Va3P1%WF1Y2
%Xa1P2%[E3Z6%\E2Y0%]C6C6%^E0[2
)END

If you can jump over a quarter laying flat (which you easily can) where the A point is you can make the 8 ball. Remember he could see the edge of the 8 ball.

Extending the line from the edge of the balls shows it even better. Remember your not making the 8 ball with the center of the c/b because it's about a 15 degree cut.
START(
%K[1\8%L[4\8%M[3\3%N[4\8%O`8Q9%Pb1P0%UF9Y5%Vk9M6%WF1Y2%Xa1P2
%[E3Z6%\E2Y0%]C6C6%^E0[2
)END

Elevate the cue around 30+ degrees, with a straight downward medium stroke. Put a dime in front of the c/b same distance as the diagram. Once you know you can clear that easily put down a nickle or quarter. Then put down 2 Quarters or a match book etc. Note as stack gets higher the cue needs more elevation and a bit firmer stroke. In the begining you might want to increase the distance by a c/b's width each time. You'll learn it doesn't take a lot of force and develope the technique.

The swerve shot doesn't need as much elevation or force. It's a combination of cue angle, speed and english. Use low left and med slow speed. If it curves to much you need more speed and/or less cue angle. If it does not curve enough you need less speed and/or more cue angle. Keep the english consistant and use speed and/or cue angle to adjust the curve. It takes time but with a little experimenting you'll have the basic idea pretty quick.

Rod

GreenLion
05-09-2003, 10:26 AM
I though of doing a masse up there but i had douts go thru my mind of actually pulling it off.I dont know why i choose to cross bank it like i did except i let me emotions control my game on that shot so my other options were not realized.We also had a 60sec shot clock so that was on my mind 2.If it were monday league night i would have gone for the masse.

Aboo
05-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Rod & Mr. Mouse,
This post got educational in a hurry /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You guys both gave me a lot of good info, thank you. I will add this in practice this weekend and see if I can start pulling some of these out.

One question. When hitting that jump shot, the cue-tip has to hit below center on the cue-ball from whatever angle I'm hitting down on it, correct?

Rod
05-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Center or below is ok. Using the shot Cheese set up if you use low you can draw the ball back! Start out easy get the feel. Just pretend the balls are not even there. People don't realize on any downward stroke the c/b spends a lot less time on the table. You've allready done this countless times and never even knew it! LOL

Rod