PDA

View Full Version : Price / Performace Cue

05-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Price / Performance Best Cue
I know that asking what the best cue is, is a never ending question but which cue has the best price / performance rating. Obviously a $5000 Cue is going to look and perform better then a $20 Cue which cue do you think meets the two in the middle the best?

05-08-2003, 10:13 PM
i haven't been here in that long, but i'll tell ya this.

" Check the archives "

stickman
05-08-2003, 11:22 PM
As with tips and shaft diameters, best cue is a matter of personal preference. LOL Try some differnet cues and see what feels best to you. I can tell you this much though: The highest priced cue is not necessarily the best playing cue. I know several excellent players that use a sneaky pete and can shoot just as good with them as they could with an expensive, ornate cue. With many of the higher priced cues, what you are getting for the additional money is fancy inlays and exotic woods. They won't necessarily shoot any better than a well constructed plain Jane. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheesemouse
05-09-2003, 04:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jawathan:</font><hr> Price / Performance Best Cue
I know that asking what the best cue is, is a never ending question but which cue has the best price / performance rating. Obviously a $5000 Cue is going to look and perform better then a $20 Cue which cue do you think meets the two in the middle the best?
<hr /></blockquote>

Jawathan,
The good hit if a cue is not directly portortional to the price. I once got caught in a bizzard in Biilings Mont. I found a poolhall and spent the night playing with a house cue. After a couple hours I was convinced this cue was a magic wand. I tried to buy it from the desk man but he wouldn't do it without the OK of his manager who wasn't there. The next morning when the roads cleared I stopped by the place to try again to purchase the cue but the place was still closed and I had to get on the highway...I still wish I would have waited around. I was wiiling to pay enough to replace this cue many times over. The hit was unbelieveable and it was probably a $10 house cue....sorry for rambling on but just an example price vs hit.....as far as what is the best middle ground cue for the money I would have to say the low end Preditor.

Ralph S.
05-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Try the Genuine line from McDermott. Great cue for around $150 bucks.

Aboo
05-09-2003, 10:24 AM
I think the key is finding one that you enjoy playing with and sticking to it. Consistency is key /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There was a thread not to long ago that had a link to a site about Efren Reyes... he played with a 10.00 cue, in big tournys and for big money, for years and refused to sell it. And he is, arguably, the best 9-ball player in the world. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
05-09-2003, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jawathan:</font><hr> Obviously a $5000 Cue is going to look and perform better then a $20 Cue. Which cue do you think meets the two in the middle the best? <hr /></blockquote>Take the geometric mean to find it's cost.

sqrt($20*$5000) = $316

Try a Predator Sneaky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Exactly! I very seldom show up anywhere without personal equipment but there's been times I have come across a house cue that I've wanted to buy. EVERY once in a while you will find those types of cues, so if you have the chance, try sticks people are trying to sell and just maybe one will(without a salesperson pitch) jump up and play for you. Buy that cue...sid

Rod
05-09-2003, 06:33 PM
What's a bizzard? Or did you mean buzzard? LOL

cheesemouse
05-09-2003, 08:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What's a bizzard? Or did you mean buzzard? LOL <hr /></blockquote>

LOL...I type fast and I shot fast.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

eg8r
05-09-2003, 11:09 PM
I guess you already knew the answer to your question, however I have not seen it asked this way. IMHO there is no performance factor. At the lowest level, we are talking about a piece of wood. I am in no way trying to belittle any cuemakers or the work.

As far as price, I think you could spend as much as you want and get a quality product.

From what I have seen in the past, the group of people here that will answer you play with custom or "high end" production cues. By high end production I am referring to Schons, Predators, etc. I would suggest your first cue be an inexpensive one because you might not keep it long. I also suggest you shoot around with a bunch of different cues and see what you like. A custom cue I think would be the best choice. You could go with a sneaky pete and it would be a bit more affordable. I would suggest this only if you already knew what you wanted in a cue. Most new buyers have no idea what to look for in a cue.

I hope this helps,

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
05-10-2003, 07:49 AM
I once bought a Mali with wrap and even came with the case for $80 brand new back in 1996 for a friend, and I'll tell ya that cue fit the answer to the perfrom/value rating. I liked that hit. I'm not trying to sell a Mali, just selling Ed's opinion that buying something like that for low dollars and THEN taking time in finding what you will enjoy in a more elaborate cue is perfect sense for anyone basically beginning. Thing is that the good players will come into any PH they chose, grab one of the average to beat up looking house cues and eventually fleece all of the local's best shortstops, them with all of their high dollar cues.

sid