PDA

View Full Version : Predator 314 Shaft Cue

05-08-2003, 09:19 PM
I am interested in getting a new cue and then I started reading about this Predator 314 shaft and thought why donít I have that? Why doesnít everyone have that? By reading all the information that I did it would make it seem that this shaft is so technologically advanced that everyone would have one and that there is no down side to them. Does anyone know some of the cons of these shafts, from reading the information of the Internet everyone should have one of these. I would like to know if my cue would fit onto this but I donít know how to measure the joint, can someone tell me how I would find out, itís a shamrock 19 oz cue if that helps anyÖ Also just another thing do all predator cues come with the 314 shaft?

pooldaddy9
05-08-2003, 09:32 PM
I don't know about everyone having one, but I do have one and like it very much. You can contact Preditor and they can fit your stick with one.

05-08-2003, 10:19 PM
preds hit great, but their not all their cracked up to be, a pred feels no different than my meucci or any other good cue that i have shot with. personally i dont like preds, just entirely to much hype. but to each it's own.

05-08-2003, 11:28 PM
i have played with the predator, and i hate to say it, but it wasn't that great. i liked a meucci red dot a lot more, and dont get me started on the black dot, they are really nice. thats what i hope to get, but till then, i just get to do a few shots here and there with my friends black dot.

go meucci!

ras314
05-08-2003, 11:30 PM
I think all predator cues come with the 314 shaft and the uni-lock joint.

My reason for getting one was to get the same defelection without having to rotate the cue to the same point every shot. They have been called "the most expensive gimmic in Pool". Guess I like them, now own two SPW and a 314 shaft for my Balabuska.

Check their web site and email any questions to them. I found their response to be fast and useful.

www.predatorcues.com/english/ (http://www.predatorcues.com/english/)

Carlton31698
05-09-2003, 07:11 AM
I was scared to buy one when they first came out because I didnít think a shaft that was spliced together would hold up. I must say I was wrong; one of my buddies has one that he has abused. It is still in good shape, and it retained the same hit after years of use. I personally donít like the way it shoots; I like a different taper on my shafts.

Try one out if you like the hit youíll be happy. The shafts hold up very well. Buy one because you like the hit not because everyone tells you it hits great.

jjinfla
05-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Gee, another new poster who wants to promote Predator. Do you live in the Orlando Area perhaps?

pooltchr
05-09-2003, 08:24 AM
I think they have a good hit, but so do a lot of shafts that aren't anywhere as expensive. One problem I have seen is if they need repair work beyond replacing a tip. Once the ferrule comes off, I have seen several of them split along the splice, and if that happens, you have a very expensive piece of firewood.

Deeman
05-09-2003, 08:57 AM
I am not familiar with a Shamrock Cue but most cues have a 5/16 diameter screw. The threads will probably be coarse (14 threads per inch) or fine (18 threads per inch). If you have a micrometer you can measure the thread diameter pretty easy. If it is 5/16 inch, that will measure .3125" on the micrometer. Some may even be 3/8's or .375 inch. You will need a thread gage or good eyes and a scale to see how many threads per inch you have. The quick connect joints are another thing altogether but Predator can match any of them. I think. I have a couple of the 314's for my Schon but have only hit them a few times. I didn't see much advantage but for some it may be the right thing. I guess I have used the same correction for English for so many years, it's difficult for me to adjust to less.

05-09-2003, 10:46 AM
no i live in sacramento ca, and have no realtion to predator, but i just was doing some research on the internet about them and what you find really makes that 314 shaft sound like the best thing in the world. But i don't know i have never used one so thats why i was trying to see what kind of user response i would get from people who do use them or have used them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

05-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Good luck finding a Predator shaft right now, unless it's stale inventory.

I just ordered a 314 shaft from Meuller's last week, along with some other stuff. The rest of the order came in, but no shaft. I called today to check on it, and was told they're on backorder, and "nobody can get them" because Predator is having a materials shortage at the moment and can't produce them fast enough. I was told not to expect mine before June... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

smfsrca
05-09-2003, 12:13 PM
The "Shamrock" cue is a line from McDermott.
You can contact McDemott to find out more about your cue.
Or, in the Sacramento area, you might drop by the pro shop or the cue repair shop at Hard Times on Garfield.
Steve in CA

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Lots of good cues and lots of good custom cues too.

I have a custom cue and a predator sneaky pete. For the price, less than 300, I think it hits good, but just find one you like.

Laura

SpiderMan
05-09-2003, 12:38 PM
If you are fishing for bad experiences with Predator shafts in order to moderate the rave reviews, send private messages to Rackmup and Spetty on this forum. They have both had more than their share of problems with Predators.

SpiderMan

phil in sofla
05-09-2003, 05:09 PM
The radial spline construction is patented, so anyone else using the design would be sued by Predator, or else they'd have to arrange ahead of time to pay royalties to use the design, if Predator would allow that.

And there is no doubt the shafts are pricey. Dennis Searing is a local highly regarded cue maker, and his shafts by themselves are highly prized by locals (and Buddy Hall, for that matter!), and they aren't but half the cost of the 314.

But the Predator cues, with the shafts included, aren't exorbinantly expensive, maybe 20-30% more than a cue not including that shaft, and between those who have the cues and those just with the shafts, the number of pro players said to be shooting with these shafts is about 50% or something like that, meaning that these great players find the shaft to their liking.

Cosmetically and physically, the shafts may not match your cue exactly. My stock Helmstedter shaft has a ring above the joint to match the ring below the joint on the butt; my Predator doesn't. And sometimes, and in my case, the shaft isn't exactly the same diameter across as the butt part of the joint, so it isn't a completely smooth feel across the joint, as a matched butt and shaft would be (and as I'm sure a complete Predator would also be). That doesn't bother me, since I don't stroke to where the joint gets into my bridging, so I never feel this mismatch when shooting.

And then there's the question of the hit. Everyone who has hit with my cue says it hits solid, and they like it, but then, every baby is cute when you talk to their mothers! Evidently, some percentage of people just don't like how it feels on the hit, and/or how it minimizes deflection, if they're used to what they've had.a

I've gotten used to the Predator minimized deflection for 2 years now, and I recommend that to everyone. Some other experts, Grady Matthews and Joe Porper, say the claims of very much lower deflection are accurate, and recommend people get the cue.

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr> preds hit great, but their not all their cracked up to be, a pred feels no different than my meucci or any other good cue that i have shot with. personally i dont like preds, just entirely to much hype. but to each it's own. <hr /></blockquote>

Personally I like the hit of a Blackheart, but that is a custom cue and each one is one of a kind.

Aa far as production cues go, I have the sneaky pete pred. It shoots just fine. i did have a little weight taken out though to get it less backheavy.

Laura

Ken
05-10-2003, 06:42 AM
The radial spline construction is indeed patented however the copy protection under the patent has run out long ago. Predator's more recent patent which includes the spline design does not convey any copy protection on the spliced shaft due to a previous patent for which the copy protection has run out.

There are some who will insist that the design is not patented but they are not making the distinction between a patent whose protection has run out and a device that no one has patented.

The ferrule and accompanying system are protected by a recent patent by Predator, however, similar designs are being produced by others without legal action from Predator (as far as I know). There probably are minor design differences in the "copies" which would make it difficult to determine if there is indeed any infringement involved.
KenCT

Kato
05-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Ah Predator, the great debate. Do I have a horror story? Nope. Do I play with Predator? Nope, not any more.

About 2 years ago I decided to make a switch Predator and purchased a SP. It was solid but something was wrong I thought. I messed around with the weight bolt, messed around with tips, messed around with my grip. I sold that cue after deciding I needed a steel joint so I bought an SLP. Nice cue, people like it, I don't really care for it. I also have a Predator shaft for my Helmstetter 97-10. I had a new collar put on it and silver rings to match the play cue, oh well, don't use it.

I haven't had any problems with the shafts and I think it's a well made product. I never got used to the deflection (or lack thereof) and couldn't make the proper adjustments.

Kato