PDA

View Full Version : Tips Question

05-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Hello I just went into the local cue repair place around me (Jointed Cue) to get a new tip and I really didnít know anything about a tip, I still had the one that came with the cue on it. They asked me if I wanted a soft medium or hard, come someone please explain to me what the difference is between these types of tips. Also I started doing some research about cues on the Internet and found that there are many different brands of cues, however they didnít ask me what brand I wanted, could somebody provide some insight on the different brands of tips. To go along with the tip question I read that you can have your cue ďshavedĒ down to a smaller around to less then the 13mm, what difference would that make If you went to a 12, and on the opposite end if you had something made with a 14?

05-08-2003, 10:16 PM
ok, as for the tips, personally use a moori tip, le pro is a piece of [censored], but their are plenty of good tips on the market, as for the rest of your post. " Check the archives "

stickman
05-08-2003, 11:10 PM
I suggest that you try different tips. Personally, I don't care for a soft tip. They require too much maintenance for my tastes. When I used a soft tip, I was constantly grooming it, reshaping, removing the mushroom, and picking it to hold chalk after it glazed over. Some people like a soft tip, different strokes for different folks. Properly cared for, a soft tip does provide good grip. LePros come on many sticks, they are very inexpensive. Medium and hard tips require less maintenance,(don't need reshaping as often, or don't mushroom as bad.) I shoot a hard tip and like the solid hit, and the reduced maintenance. I found that I had to learn to hit the cueball closer to the center to keep from miscuing, but found that I could still get all the draw, follow or english that I needed. I really like the Talisman water buffalo tip. It is a layered tip that is fairly hard, requires little, to no maintenance, and has good grip. The downside of it is that it is best installed professionally. You can put one on yourself, but it takes great care to do it correctly. There is no place close to have this done where I live. I have a Talisman water buffalo on one stick and a Sumo non-layered water buffalo on another stick. The Sumo is easy to install, but IMO not quite the tip the Talisman is. (Doesn't grip as well as the Talisman) I guess I will have to take the time to install another Talisman some time, or take it somewhere and have it done. Many people like the Moori layered tips, but I haven't tried one myself. They are a little pricey, and also require great care in installation or have it professionally done. Again, my best advice is to try some different tips and see what you like best.

Stick diameters: I have a 12mm and a 13mm. I think you will find that most people use a 13mm or 12.75mm (12.75 is mostly Predator) for 8ball and 9ball play. I prefer my 13 for these games. As with tips, this is a matter of personal preference. I like to use my 12mm for snooker. Some people use even smaller diameter sticks for snooker.

Hope this helps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim