PDA

View Full Version : Crack Cocaine

05-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Does smoking crack give people lung cancer? I'm a high school juniour and want to make sure tthere are no dangers before i smoke it for the twentieth time.

CherylNYC

05-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Oops sorry... I thought I was on different internet board. No wonder it coouldn;t find my username.

Rod
05-08-2003, 11:03 PM
A Three year reaserch shows it doesn't, however it also shows no one lived the full three years.

nAz
05-09-2003, 12:55 AM
what the name of the other board?
I want to hang out with you and get lung cancer /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
05-09-2003, 07:44 AM
I am assuming that this was meant to be humorous, but really it isnt. I would like to share this story with you. The story is all true.

I used to be friends with someone years ago. We hadnt seen each other in about 24 years, but started dating. What I did not know was that she had a major crack cocaine problem. I only realized it too late. I did everything I possibly could to get her out of this mess. Drug treatment, cutting the money supply, nothing seemed to help.

So, I tried dragging her out of a crack house by force once. Thought this would get her attention, but didnt. What it did get me was slammed against a wall by five dope dealers. One of them held a 9mm handgun point blank in my face and another held a large buther knife to my throat with the tip edge of the blade pressed firmly enough against to draw blood.

I figured I could handle myself if trouble arose, since I had several years under my belt as a bouncer. I was very wrong. They threw me back outside, she did not come along. She chose to stay. I was determined to try to save her from this crap, so I literally kicked their door in again. I had tore it completely from the door frame the first time. The second time I kicked it in, they threw a pretty good beating on me.

I was not able to rescue this friend from this terrible addiction. I have seen up close and first hand the devastation this drug causes. It is not a joke. Hopefully those that posted and responded read this and will realize what I am trying to get across.

Kato
05-09-2003, 08:02 AM
I have several friends that have not made it back from that side and I'm happy I never went. This post does not make me happy.

Kato

heater451
05-09-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>. . .What it did get me was slammed against a wall by five dope dealers. One of them held a 9mm handgun point blank in my face and another held a large buther knife to my throat with the tip edge of the blade pressed firmly enough against to draw blood.

I figured I could handle myself if trouble arose, since I had several years under my belt as a bouncer. I was very wrong. They threw me back outside, . . .they threw a pretty good beating on me.<hr /></blockquote>Five-to-One odds, plus weapons. . . .Ralph, that's not a winning plan.

Sorry that you couldn't help your friend. Addictions, regardless of drug choice, are a nasty problem. I've seen friends who had their usage urges pretty much 'under control', in that they were users in moderation, but there's usually no "cold turkey" quitting--could be the type of drugs, may just be the personalities.

I've also seen "casual" users of cocaine who weren't hooked on it specifically, but had other, full addictions instead, like alcohol.

I've always been a proponent of a, "choose your own damage" lifestyle, but I know at some point the choice to use isn't really a choice anymore.

Until some extreme action (and punishment) is handed down for illegal drug dealing, I doubt much will be effective in 'curing' addicts. As for alcohol and nicotine, I don't know what to say.

=====================

Ralph S.
05-09-2003, 08:47 AM
Youre right Heater, them aint too good of odds. I can pretty much hold my own or come out on top when its 2 or 3 against 1. Ask CincyTom, you would dam near need a wrecking ball to take me down LOL. There is an old saying that "discretion is the better part of valor". I didnt pay attention to it and paid in another way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hopster
05-09-2003, 10:00 AM
The area in Queens that i grew up in, in the 60,s and early 70,s was loaded with dope shooters then we all watched the coke epidemic start , then the crack wave. Not to sound insensitive but to me they want to do that s###, they get what they deserve. I seen too many people die from it and cause so many others misery that i have zero pity left for any of them.
I tried to help a few people get off it also but when that needle or that pipe calls, theres not much you can do to stop them. As an alcoholic who stopped drinking i pretty much know what im talking about in that area.
Ralph, you tried to do the right thing and youre lucky they didnt clip you and roll you up in a carpet but that pipe is a tremendous force to be reckoned with.
Myself, im all in favor of capital punishment for drug dealers cause no matter how you look at it, theyre dealing in death. How many people OD alone isnt even a factor i consider. How about how many people commit murders to get the stuff, how many children have died or been sold or thrown down garbage chutes ? How many innocent bystanders have gotten killed by these animals ?
That may not be the answer but its a hell of a start.

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheryl:</font><hr> Does smoking crack give people lung cancer? I'm a high school juniour and want to make sure tthere are no dangers before i smoke it for the twentieth time.

CherylNYC <hr /></blockquote>

I know a person very well who did cocaine for a certain amount of time. This person has permanent very bad hand tremors due to neurological damage and is convince is not as smart as he/she once was. This person further stated that friends had worse permanent damage.

Also, crack, is more addictive than cocaine and equally addictive as heroine. Not something to get hooked on and it is easy to get hookd on it.I personally am associated with a group of persons who got off drugs. Of those, the crack addicts had the worst time getting off of it, even worse than the heroine addicts.

Stop while you still can.

laura

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 11:39 AM
It goes so deep.

My son was very in love with a girl. She had gone through treatment and kicked the heroine habit for several years. Then she started using. He tried and tried to get her to quit. He tried to get her off for 8 months to no avail. He had to break up with her because he said that every night he feared he would get that call that she was dead do to od or other related death. People have the same problem with crack, if not worse.

I have seen people get off of it but it is extremely hard and requires a very strong support group and in some cases contact with that support system around the clock for a period of time, then daily contact with the support system for a very long time.

Then there are certain times of relapse. If the person makes it a year clean, they commonly relapse at 3 yrs , 5 yrs. I personally had two friends relapse after 7 years clean. The disease is always there waiting and an addict who has been fortunate to become clean requires that support system for the rest of their life.

Laura

nAz
05-09-2003, 11:41 AM
i smoked crack a few times i can see why its addictive, but its not my cup of tea. i perfer Shrooms.. lets talk about shrooms /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hopster
05-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Then there are certain times of relapse. If the person makes it a year clean, they commonly relapse at 3 yrs , 5 yrs. I personally had two friends relapse after 7 years clean. The disease is always there waiting and an addict who has been fortunate to become clean requires that support system for the rest of their life. &lt;--Bluwolf

Not necessarily so. When i tried to get cleaned up it didnt go right away, took me 3 years to get it right. I tried the A.A. thing for almost 2 years and all i ever got from them was a headache. Now im not knocking them cause they do great work, they just werent for me. So come jan of 94 i put it down and aint picked it up since and i did it entirely alone, almost 10 years now. Its up to the individual how much they want it. It can be done, im the proof.

wolfdancer
05-09-2003, 09:30 PM
that's funny!!!!!!
"Got a mean old lady, named of Cocaine Sady, and..."
Dr. Hook (cover of the rolling stone)

bluewolf
05-10-2003, 04:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> Then there are certain times of relapse. If the person makes it a year clean, they commonly relapse at 3 yrs , 5 yrs. I personally had two friends relapse after 7 years clean. The disease is always there waiting and an addict who has been fortunate to become clean requires that support system for the rest of their life. &lt;--Bluwolf

Not necessarily so. When i tried to get cleaned up it didnt go right away, took me 3 years to get it right. I tried the A.A. thing for almost 2 years and all i ever got from them was a headache. Now im not knocking them cause they do great work, they just werent for me. So come jan of 94 i put it down and aint picked it up since and i did it entirely alone, almost 10 years now. Its up to the individual how much they want it. It can be done, im the proof.
<hr /></blockquote>

After being in AA and NA for 12 years , this is what I have observed:

Sometimes a person, especially a person in their late teens and early twenties would come into the program because they had gotten into some kind of trouble because they were abusing drugs and/or alcohol or a family member was an alkie and the kid saw similar patterns in themselves and came into the program.

Now I have seen kids in both categories come in the programs for 2-3 years. They were clean during that time and got some tools for becoming healthy adults. Then they quit coming, did the usual succesful stuff regarding carreer, family etc. Some never drank again, a few have a drink rarely. i do not think these kids were really addicts. I think that they were abusing substances for whatever reason and in the program got the tools they needed to evaluate their own issues and become emotionally healthy.

If you were able to put it down, even if it took you three years to get it right, imo, you were not a true alkie but a heaavy drinker or drug abuser or you are a rare exception. Sometimes it is hard to tell. You can put two people side by side who are both heavy drinkers. One is an alcoholic and the other a heavy drinker who could get off of it on their own if they chose.

Imo these kids were not true 'addicts' but were abusing the substances as many young people do in their stage of experimentation.

Most scientists are now saying that in almost all cases, addiction is a genetic trait. If you can imagine a lock and a key. Now the lock can only be opened by one key. Without the key in it, it just sits there and does nothing.

many experts think that addiction is much like that. The person is predisposed to addiction of a particular substance and when they pick it up, the key is in the lock.

While hard to tell, there is a difference between substance abusers and true alcoholics/addicts and there is no test for it. So sometimes if a person thinks they have a problem, they go to the meetings.

I new a kid who shot heroine for six months on a regular basis, several times weekly if not daily. One day he decided that that was not what he wanted for his life and he put it down. He went through the physical withdrawal, never took it again, and would not let anyone into his house who took it. This kid did not go through the intense cravings that many true addicts do. I do not think he was a true 'addict' [although he was taking and abusing a highly addictive drug ]because he was able to just put it down without any support.

On to me. There is no addiction, no alcoholism in my family. I was drinking about 3 drinks a day. One day I noticed that I craved it and I stopped and went to AA. Maybe I was not a true alcoholic but I have not drunk anything since then,12 years ago, because I do not want to take a chance. At that time, I was at a low period of my life and needed something. I also switched to NA. In my town, the NA folks are much more down to earth and open about what is really going on with them.There I met true friends who would stick with you through thick and thin and even though I have not gone to NA regularly for several years, I consider these people some of my best friends.

What I got from NA was that I learned the true meaning of friendship, I learned to not be ashamed of anything I have done or experieenced in the past, and I learned some tools to be a healthy adult. Nothing against AA, but most young persons with alkie problems went to NA due to the fact that more young people were there and the environment was better and less clicky.

Now, when a person has been in one of those programs, there is a certain style of speaking or sharing, as you well know. Sometimes when I have spoken or written in other atmospheres, I have forgotten that amongst non-program people that the words spoken mean somethimg else, resulting in motives attributed to me that I did not have.

So anyway, I think that there are addictss and there are abusers. My statements of course referred to the 'true' addict not to everyone who walks through the doors of AA or NA

Laura

Hopster
05-10-2003, 12:42 PM
If you were able to put it down, even if it took you three years to get it right, imo, you were not a true alkie but a heaavy drinker or drug abuser or you are a rare exception. Sometimes it is hard to tell. You can put two people side by side who are both heavy drinkers. One is an alcoholic and the other a heavy drinker who could get off of it on their own if they chose. &lt;--Bluwolf

I used to get this from a lot of the AA crowd, they are of the mindset that if you dont do it their way it cant be done or as you said, the person wasnt a true alky.
Trust me, i was as bad as they came, over 20 years worth, the last 6 were real bad. Not no 3-4 drinks a day, hell that was just an appetizer. Im talking stone drunk 6 days a week, no lie. I just opened my own eyes and saw what i became, that and the doc gave me some news that wasnt the best.
It can be done, you got to want it bad enough, nothing else matters.
Thats all i got to say about this.

bluewolf
05-11-2003, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> I used to get this from a lot of the AA crowd, they are of the mindset that if you dont do it their way it cant be done or as you said, the person wasnt a true alky.
Trust me, i was as bad as they came, over 20 years worth, the last 6 were real bad. Not no 3-4 drinks a day, hell that was just an appetizer. Im talking stone drunk 6 days a week, no lie. I just opened my own eyes and saw what i became, that and the doc gave me some news that wasnt the best.
It can be done, you got to want it bad enough, nothing else matters.
Thats all i got to say about this.
<hr /></blockquote>

I spent one year in AA and the rest of it in NA. There were some similarities of course, and some differences.

Yeah there is that 'my way is the highway' type mentality and have seen some leave for that reason.One of my friends was addicted to injectable drugs when she came into NA. She became disinchanted with the people more than anything and stopped going. After a time, maybe a year, she picked up but there was a happy ending. She decided after a short bout with alcohol and pot, that it was not where she wanted to be nor did it benefit her in anyway, and became clean again, this time on her own.

Now ocassionally I will go to a meeting but, although i do here good stuff, I mostly like seeing my friends, so I guess my motivation is more social than need, at this point.

You are fortunate that you were able to put it down. It sounds like it was hard work on your part.

What did I get out of it? Got more from the 12 steps from actually needing them to stay clean.

Laura

Aboo
05-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Hopster, I'm in agreement with you. Everyone is different. Some folks NEED the community to help them kick the habit, others have the will power to do it on their own.
In BOTH cases, the motivation MUST be there for the individual. If the addict doesn't WANT to quit, they won't. No matter how many, or what type of programs they are put through.

Don't let ANYONE make you think your accomplishment was any less than what it was. Taking an extreme addiction, and kicking it in the teeth with mental toughness and will-power.

I smoked 2+ packs of Marlbro Reds a day, for 12 years. One day, my doctor told me I had to quit or I'd go blind. I left the pack I had on me, and my Bic in his office and never bought another cigarette. I can count the number of cigarettes I've smoked since then on just over one hand. That was almost three years ago.
I'm PROUD of that accomplishment. If someone told me I wasn't addicted I'd either laugh in their face or tell them to piss off, depending on the mood I was in at the time.

Be proud of your accomplishments and don't let anyone be-little them, or you.

Hopster
05-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I smoked 2+ packs of Marlbro Reds a day, for 12 years. One day, my doctor told me I had to quit or I'd go blind. I left the pack I had on me, and my Bic in his office and never bought another cigarette.&lt;--Aboo

Good for you brother, thats the way to do it. no patches, no pills, no nothing. You CAN use those things but to me its like having a mental crutch if you know what i mean. Its like "Yeah i quit but the patch is what helped me"
To me there would be no real feeling of accomplishment there, ya know ?
I been smoking marlboro reds for about 25 years or so. I know im gonna quit sooner or later but the thing is i dont want to right now.
What do i know ? lol

bluewolf
05-15-2003, 03:10 AM
wtg aboo. I have heard that nicotine is more addictive than nicotine.

Laura