PDA

View Full Version : # of chalks on the table

UWPoolGod
05-09-2003, 09:48 AM
I always have found that two chalks on the table is very adequate for chalking purposes. One usually stays toward the other side of the table, and one next to you shooting. Any more than two and a couple always get bunched up next to one another so whats the point of there being more at that area. I just hate when playing in a bar and the other guy has 7 or 8 on the table, you start moving chalks every shot. I remove any over two before any match so I don't lose any concentration by moving chalks.

your thoughts?

Todd

9 Ball Girl
05-09-2003, 10:12 AM
I totally agree with you. Two pieces of chalk is enough. I keep one at one half of the table and the other at the other half of the table. And I move 'em around so that they're always where they belong. Depending on who I'm playing with, when I want to chalk up, I'll either have 1 or none left, or 8!

Wally_in_Cincy
05-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Of those 7 or 8 at least 6 are usually worn out /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I grab 'em and throw them in the trash just to make sure.

UWPoolGod
05-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I know what you mean, even if you set them somewhere to the side, the pesky little buggers keep sneaking onto the table.

Todd <--- gonna patent a chalk trap to catch em in the act

Rod
05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
All I need is two. Like you say the rest is just clutter.

cheesemouse
05-09-2003, 11:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I always have found that two chalks on the table is very adequate for chalking purposes. One usually stays toward the other side of the table, and one next to you shooting. Any more than two and a couple always get bunched up next to one another so whats the point of there being more at that area. I just hate when playing in a bar and the other guy has 7 or 8 on the table, you start moving chalks every shot. I remove any over two before any match so I don't lose any concentration by moving chalks.

your thoughts?

Todd <hr /></blockquote>

This is my preference also but be careful getting rid of the extra's. Once while playing in the Valley Nationals, there were eight of us left in the Masters 9-ball, it was late and I thought I had played my last match for the day when they called one more match. I was behind about 15 brandy/soda's. I walked up to the table and my opponent was there hitting balls. He was wearing high water pants and goofey looking...LOL...I looked down at the table and there were three chalks. One of them looked like a chipmonk had been chewing on it so I put my shaft on it and wing nutted it about ninety yards off into the distance. Well, of course, it was this guys personal chalk he'd had for a couple years....the guy completely lost it. I thought it was funny. It must have been the brandy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The guy just couldn't get it back together and I smoked his high water butt.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was a lesson in phychology(sp), now I will do the same thing in a heart beat....hehehehe...

stickman
05-09-2003, 11:11 AM
I don't need any chalk on the table. I carry my own in my left pocket, along with my Willard dime shape scuffer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif However, if for some reason I didn't have my own cue and chalk with me, two would be more than adequate.

Rod
05-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Jim,
Sometimes I might have on a light colored pair of shorts. LOL

MarkUrsel
05-09-2003, 12:49 PM
I just simply gotta have 3. One for each side. Or something like that. I could just be being difficult too.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
05-09-2003, 12:53 PM
I only use one and take it with me from shot to shot, when im done i take it with me. "take with you what you bring to the table" 3C billiard habbit /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
05-09-2003, 01:08 PM
1 is optimal, 2 is livable, 3 almost puts me in a home, 4 means I can't play at all and I start accidentally putting off to the side or in the trash can. I've been on tables with 8 chalks and I'm just amazed. Too many choices.

Kato~~~has some issues.

OnePocketChamp
05-10-2003, 07:14 AM
The number of chalks on the table makes no diference to me, as I always bring my own chalk with me. It's always new or slightly used and I hold it in my bridge hand as I shoot (been doing this for over 20 years). Can't stand to use chalk that is deeply used and will usually throw that chalk in the trash.

bluewolf
05-10-2003, 07:29 AM
WW likes at least three and preferably four. It gets on my last nerve. When I go to our table to practice, I find chalks on the cloth, in the pockets and sometimes on the floor.

Two is enough in my opinion. And on a home table, I think that they should be taken off of the table at the end of the practice session.

Laura

snipershot
05-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Yeah two is plenty, I've seen up to 10 chalks on the table at once /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif me and my opponent just looked at each other and laughed, at home I always keep two chalks on my table on one each long rail, this is more than sufficient.

Chris in NC
05-10-2003, 03:52 PM
2 pieces on the table is perfectly fine if they are both in good condition AND if your opponent doesn't choose to take one with him after he misses and exits the table. As a room owner I'm very spoiled as I only play with new or nearly new chalk, a brushed table and cleanly polished balls every time I play.

We throw our chalk away when (by some player's standards and preferences) it's just getting broken in and perfect. Actually one of our customers who works in a restaurant with a few coin-ops takes our discarded pieces - as its like a brand new piece compared to what I guess they're used to. It just goes to show you can't please everyone.

Isn't it amazing how when there are 3 or more pieces on the table how often they usually end up all together in the same spot? - Chris in NC

05-10-2003, 04:43 PM
man i know how you feel, but as for me, i just try to keep it to 2 or 3, and mostly new pieces. I hate those pieces of chalk that are so deep, that you end up chalking up your tip &amp; ferrule at the same time. and yes it does amaze me how people seem to get 5 or more pieces of chalk on the table &amp; to add to that i'll be damn'd if they dont always end all sitting together on one of the rails. am still stuck on that one.

Patrick
05-18-2003, 03:16 AM
You should only use 1 chalk for consistency.
With 2 players playing you use 2 chalks of course, 1 for each player.

Patrick

HalSmith
05-18-2003, 05:11 AM
Ihave the same habit Vet. I alway carry my own piece of chalk with me as I move about the table. When I'm done shooting I put it in my pocket or just hold it . I know , my hands get to looking like chalk and I have tried to break this habit ,but next thing I know , I have that chalk in my hands again. I also use a new piece every day or two. Keep On Chalking.---Smitty