PDA

View Full Version : Couple newbie questions..

PeterP
05-09-2003, 11:49 AM
What should I look for in a used table, and where do I find someone to install it? How much does it cost to have a table moved and/or installed? What kind of things can be done to recondition the table and how do you tell if it's needed? What's a "recover"? Is that just replacing the cloth? Is a "recover" usually done when you buy a used table? Thanks..

Aboo
05-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Well, I received a used table about 6 months ago. However, I moved, installed and re-felted it myself. With the help of a friend who is knowledgable about the felting.
I wouldn't recommend it though!

As far as "things to be done", I would say this.
You will definitely need new felt, and possibly rails as well, depending on how old the table is.
Felt can cost as little as 50 bucks (eBay - self installed) or as much as 300.00+ if you get Simoins (sp?) installed by a dealer.

Folks swear by Simoins, but I don't think I've ever played on it.

dg-in-centralpa
05-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Check with your local person who services the jukeboxes, cigarette machines, and pool tables. I got my table used from one of these people and it is fine. When I got it I got 4 new house sticks, new cloth, they delivered and set it up as well. They will also be able to do the cloth for you.

05-09-2003, 02:21 PM
You sound like me 6 months ago! If you're getting it used from a dealer, they will probably include moving, installation, and refelting. Recovering is putting on new felt. If you're buying it used from an private seller then you will most likely pay for felt, moving, and installing which I think cost around $300. Talk to your local pool shop and they'll move it etc. I think that if the felt on the table is still in good condition then it can be salvaged and reused. Anyone else know this?

KevinT
05-09-2003, 02:59 PM
We just got a new(to us) table this week. It is an 8 foot, made by American, which is now out of business. It came from Jay Orner and Sons Billiards in Indianapolis. The total came to $1,060. Included delivery, installation, new cloth(I believe it is Championship), and all new accessories. They sold it new 15 or 20 years ago and it was hardly used. It is a really nice table, has one inch slate. We are almost 90 miles away, but delivery didn't cost that much because they are usually in Terre Haute once a week, and we are only 16 miles away. If you find a used table, there is probably a dealer somewhere nearby that could install it for you. I can't give you much advice on the price of installation, though, since everything we got came for one price. Good luck in your hunt for a new table!

WaltVA
05-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Check with the pool halls in your area and get the name of the best table mechanic they use. He will often know of tables for sale, and can help you evaluate them and advise cost for needed work.

One thing - if you recover, use good quality cloth. The cost difference is minimal, and the difference in play/durability is well worth it. Simonis or felt is a matter of preference, but avoid the cheap "economy" felt.

Walt in VA

bluewolf
05-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Our table was easy to put up and ww did an excellent job of putting the cloth back on when we moved it.

The slate was very heavy to move lift etc. Dont recommend it unless you have a strong back and someone fairly strong to help you.

Our table was an 8ft with 3 pieces of one inch slate. Gosh each peice felt like 200 pounds. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

05-10-2003, 01:52 AM
i recently had my table moved and it cost $300 to move and refelt and they did a good job. just to give you an estimate of what it might cost.

L.S. Dennis
05-10-2003, 07:38 AM
When I was a lot younger and before I got my first table an owner of a billiard room told me "always get the biggest white elephant of a table that your room will allow, and never call the cloth felt, because there is no such thing as FELT on a pool table!"

Years later I did end up getting a 41/2 x 9 table for my house and have never used the word felt since. I did the moving myself with the help of a friend but as other's have mentioned definetly get some estimates from billiard establisnments in your area. I wouldn't advise trying to do it yourself unless you really know what you're doing and definetely spend a little extra and get good cloth when they set it up.

WaltVA
05-10-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr>and never call the cloth felt, because there is no such thing as FELT on a pool table!"

<hr /></blockquote>
You're absolutely right! I should have taken the time to type "worsted (Simonis-type) or napped cloth." Thanks for pointing it out.

Walt in VA