PDA

View Full Version : CAN ANYONE CHANGE WEIGHT ON A SCHON?

05-09-2003, 08:44 PM
JUST PURCHASED THIS SCHON FROM FIVE STAR BILLIARDS AKA CUES FOR LESS ON LINE..
MY QUESTION IS: SHOULD JUST ANYONE BE TAKING A PART THIER NEW $631.00 CUE?

FROM JOHN THOMAS BERTONE(PRESIDENT)

GEORGE,
Check it to see if it was changed to 20oz. I can send you a weight bolt to
bring it to a 20oz.

Please let me know.
-John

E-MAIL I SENT EARLIER TODAY 5/9/03

JOHN.
JUST RECIEVED MY SCHON CUE FROM UPS. LOOKS GREAT,HAVE NOT ROLLED IT YET ON A TABLE BUT WILL DO THAT THIS AFTERNOON. MY CONCERN IS THAT WHEN I PUT THIS ON LAYAWAY ON APRIL 9,2003 I EXPECTED TO BE ABLE TO HANDLE THINGS ON THE INTERNET,AND EVEN ASKED ABOUT MAKING EARLY PAYMENTS BEFORE I ORDERED IT.OVER THE INTERNET..THEN FOUND OUT THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE PAYMENTS OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL ON YOUR WEB-SITE AND FINALLY FOUND THE TELEPHONE NUMBER TO CALL, WHICH BRINGS ME TO THE MATTER I AM SURE YOU ARE NOT AWARE OF..I WAS GIVEN VERY VAGUE INFORMATION AND WAS GIVEN THE IMPRESSION THAT YOUR STAFF DID NOT WANT TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS! KIND OF LIKE "DON'T BOTHER ME" ATTITUDE..I WOULD ALSO E-MAIL MY QUESTIONS AND RECIEVE NO RESPONSE..AFTER MAKING A PAYMENT OVER THE PHONE, I SENT AN E-MAIL ASKING FOR SOME TYPE OF RECIEPT FOR THE PAYMENT, I DID GET ONE AFTER A COUPLE OF SENT E-MAILS AND IT ALSO INCLUDED THE MESSAGE "NO NEED TO REMIND US ABOUT ABOUT THE .20 ON THE PRICE GUARANTEE". IF I HAD KNOWN I WOULD GET THIS TREATMENT FROM A BUSINESS I WOULD HAVE SHOPPED ELSE WHERE..I PRAY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CUE SO I WILL NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOUR STAFF AGAIN..AND I WILL NOT MENTION YOUR SITE TO FRIENDS LOOKING FOR POOL RELATED ITEMS,(SORRY)..WOULD SOME COMPENSATION TO ME HELP..I AM SURE IT WOULD..BUT I AM NOT ASKING OR BEGGING FOR ANY..I HAVE FOUND THAT IT IS JUST GOOD BUSINESS TO KEEP EVEN ONE CUSTOMER HAPPY.! YOUR ACE STAFF ALSO SENT ME THE WRONG CUE STICK WIEGHT THAT I ORDERED I PURCHASED A 20 OZ CX-03 AND RECIEVED A 19 OZ CX-O3..THIS WAS CONFIRMED BY "YOUR STAFF" LEAVING THE CUE IN THE ORIGINAL BUBBLE WRAP FROM CueSTIX INTENATIONAL WHICH STATES IT IS A 19 0Z. AND I ALSO HAVE THE INVOICE#129190A I GUESS YOUR CUSTOMER #39277 AND REFERENCE #107/BERTONE AND YOUR PAYMENT TO CUESTIX IS DUE ON 05/16/03 OF $473 WITH THE $6.12 SHIPPING AND HANDLING FOR TOTAL OF $479.12..OH! YOU ACE STAFF LEFT THAT INVOICE IN THERE ALSO..OH ONE MORE THING..I ALSO HAD TO MAKE A PHONE CALL TO FIND OUT HOW MANY BUX I HAD AND WAS TOLD TO GO LOOK ON THE WEB-SITE..I SAID IT HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED IN A FEW WEEKS..AND SHE SAID "OH"..AND SHE WOULD NOT TELL ME HOW TO USE THE BUX..OH WELL..

HAVE A NICE DAY,
GEORGE

Popcorn
05-09-2003, 11:23 PM
On many cues the final weight is achieved with the pin in the butt, nothing unusual about that. The invoice you found seems like a normal mark up, they don't sell stuff for cost. Tell him to send you the screw and swap it out. If everything else about the cue is OK you should be happy. I would not get too bent out of shape about it.

WaltVA
05-09-2003, 11:30 PM
The title of your post asks "CAN anyone change the weight on a Schon?" The answer is yes. If the cue you got weighs 19 oz. and you want to keep it but change the weight to 20 oz., you can get the 20 oz. weight bolt mentioned in the e-mail and change it yourself by using a 9/64 Allen wrench to remove the screw which holds the rubber bumper in the buttcap. Twist out the bumper carefully and you'll see a large flathead bolt with a wide screw slot in it. Use a wide bladed screwdriver to remove this and replace it with the new one and reassemble. (You may want to weigh the cue first to see what the actual weight is now.)

Your second question, "Should just anyone be taking apart their new $631 cue?" plus the e-mails you quoted indicate you aren't happy with the service you got. I don't know if you SHOULD change the weight bolt yourself or not; that's up to you. Good luck whatever you decide - I've got three older Schons and love them all. They're great cues, IMO.

Walt in VA

05-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Yes, as Walt and Popcorn said, you can easily do it yourself if they send you the weight bolt. But weigh the cue first because they could have swapped out the bolt already without removing it from the original bubblewrap. It's really no big deal, but it does sound like you're not happy with their service, in which case you have a right to complain.

And just a friendly reminder: please don't post in all caps. It makes posts much harder on the eyes to read and is a basic violation of 'net etiquette.

arn3
05-10-2003, 02:06 PM
if you only add weight by changing the weight bolt in the butt, the cue balance will change. to maintain or change the balance, you also have to change the length of the joint screw.

if you want to add 1 oz to your cue by changing only the weight bolt, your cue will become VERY butt heavy. i would suggest .5oz bigger joint screw and .5oz heavier weight bolt.

about 5 quarters = 1oz. if you want to test 1oz more at the butt, tape 5 quarters to the butt and play that way for a while. if you don't like it, then changing ONLY the weight bolt is not the way to go.

Popcorn
05-10-2003, 07:09 PM
That is the way it would have been done had the cue come as 20 ounces in the first place, so what is the differance? So much of the mass of the cue is in the butt, that adding a small amount of weight to the butt changes the balance very little.

arn3
05-10-2003, 08:57 PM
it's about 1" balance shift per 1oz added or subtracted,,,which is a lot to me(for instance, there's a big diff between 18" and 19" balance points). but it all depends on where the balance was in the first place. if it was butt heavy in the first place, then yeah, you wouldn't notice as much.

from 19oz to 20oz is huge, and if you like your balance point around 19" or 19.5", then going back to 18 is very noticable.

maybe schon just adds weight and doesn't care about a particular balance (in which case, you would be right),,,,or maybe they adjust the balance with each weight spec. some cuemakers go for the same balance point with all their cues, irregardless of weight.

most important is what the player likes. and if he doesn't care then it makes no difference. that's why MUSKY should test it himself.

Popcorn
05-10-2003, 09:16 PM
You can't order a cue from Schon and specify the balance point. If you order a certain model cue 20 ounces and they have one sitting there that is a 19. They will change the butt pin and send you the cue. We just suggested he do it himself, since that is all that would have happened in the first place.