PDA

View Full Version : My Fundamentals

GreenLion
05-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Tonight during my practice i noticed that my forearm was moving as i followed thru and this was cuasing all kinds of problems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gifAfter working on it i was able to inprove it by working on my rythem but it still effecting me on and off.Im probaly just having an off day.Does anybody know any exercises i could do to improve it further?

bluewolf
05-10-2003, 05:10 AM
I would post Scott Lee and get a lesson from him or someone else near you who is experienced and can evaluate your stroke.

A good stoke is crucial to pool. I have been fortunate to have good instruction and so i have a good stroke and all around fundamentals. After that, imo, it is a matter of practice and shooting a bunch of balls.

For instance, I have been playing pool regularly for 8 months or so.I have good fundamentals due to good instruction and practicing the things I was taught. I shoot pretty decent for the time I have played regularly.

There is a time factor. Pool is a complex game and I think it takes time to be really good.I do not know how long you have been playing or how regularly, but in my case, it is just a matter of time and experience or lack thereof.

Now I play in a league and watch all kinds of players. I have seen some who were just natural atheletes get pretty decent without a good stroke. It seems though, that they reach a plateau, at least 95% or so of them, that they cannot get past without good stroke etc. Those with similar talent AND a good stroke seem to get to get better players because there are not poor fundamentals holding them back.

Now, back in august, when I was just starting to play pool regularly, I had a lesson from Scott Lee, who travels all over the place. My stroke was terrible and it took him 4 hours to get it half way decent. BUT, if you take a 2 hour lesson from him (the lesson is videotaped) and I have watched it. I also practiced my stroke for months went to a pool school with someone named Randy G last october. Then this last month i saw scott lee again. he was very pleased with how much my stroke has improved and also said my stance etc were good too.

So I strongly feel that if one has the fundamentals and is willing to practice a lot, then it is just a matter of getting expereince.

Laura

cheesemouse
05-10-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> Tonight during my practice i noticed that my forearm was moving as i followed thru and this was cuasing all kinds of problems. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gifAfter working on it i was able to inprove it by working on my rythem but it still effecting me on and off.Im probaly just having an off day.Does anybody know any exercises i could do to improve it further? <hr /></blockquote>

First things first...I think you have a basic misunderstanding of the fundamentals...Watch some poolplayer, any poolplayer.....all their forearms move. It is a basic requirement of the stroke......Geez /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-10-2003, 08:10 AM
You're talking stroke refinement, right? There's ONE drill you can use, and that ONE will fix your problem if you stick with it and don't quit. Kinnister's #1 shot from his video. You're setting up a long straight in shot into one of the corner pockets, and the total requirement is that you stroke the CB true enough to make the OB in the corner, then after the CB is contacts the OB, the CB rotates 1/2 turn and replaces the exact spot the OB was in. If the CB goes off to the side in any way, you missed, it has to roll that half turn forward. This drill is much more fun and effective if you have a camcorder and your own table. You'll see yourself raising up, maybe twisting your wrist, dropping a shoulder...many little quirks to refine to get your stroke made perfect.

That's the only drill you need for your question(IMO.) Lots of patience after that...sid

eg8r
05-10-2003, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First things first...I think you have a basic misunderstanding of the fundamentals...Watch some poolplayer, any poolplayer.....all their forearms move. It is a basic requirement of the stroke <hr /></blockquote> I am guessing he is talking about the forearm moving to the side. I at times notice that my arm will swing in towards my body when I shoot the ball pretty hard.

I suggest you work on shooting the cb up and down the table trying to get cb to come back to the tip of the cue. It will obviously not always come straight back, but you should notice if it continually comes back to one side or the other.

eg8r

GreenLion
05-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Your right Eg8r my forarms moving to the side cuasing my stick to sway left on the follow through.Sorry for the confusion,I sometimes have a hard time putting things into words.Very rarly do i have alot of error in my stroke and when i do its usually do to my wrists or forearm moving to the side.I was just surprised that this had accured and thought maybe there an exercise i can do everyday to prevent it from happening agian.Normally when i have a problem i go thru my Byerns Billiards book and check every 1 of the fundamentals he lists.Eg8r you mentioned hitting the cueball to the far rail and back to your tip.I think that a great check for your stroke especially if you do it with CB on the rail.I usually do the before i practice any shots.Sid i have not tried your suggestion but will do so tonight.Sounds good!1 of my favorite practice ruetines is pocketing all 15 ball without the CB touching a rail.Thats a very unforgiving practice game to play.Thx for everyones responses and sorry for the incorrect wording

eg8r
05-10-2003, 11:06 AM
I would recommend meeting up with Scott Lee, he has some great drills for you to practice to make sure you are hitting the cb where you think you are.

On the shot I told you before, you should try it and vary the speed that you are hitting the cue ball. You will be surprised how hard it is to get the cb to come straight back when you use a break speed shot.

eg8r

GreenLion
05-10-2003, 11:13 AM
How can i contact Scott Lee?I live in Lancaster,Ohio

WaltVA
05-10-2003, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> How can i contact Scott Lee?I live in Lancaster,Ohio <hr /></blockquote>
Check the User List here; click on his name and you'll get his home page with his e-mail address. You can contact him for his travel schedule and see when he'll be in your neck of the woods. HTH

Walt in VA

cheesemouse
05-10-2003, 12:46 PM
Greenlion,
Sorry for the critcal post. I hadn't had my morning coffee and my dog had made a mess which I'd stepped in......LOL....Welcome to the board.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hopster
05-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Sorry for the critcal post. I hadn't had my morning coffee and my dog had made a mess which I'd stepped in.....&lt;--Cheese

You better go out and make a bet on something, it might be a lucky sign !! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

05-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Going to an instructor is not a bad idea, but in the meantime, try moving your back or "grip" hand back a couple of inches. It sounds like your set up is to narrow...(the distance between the grip and bridge hand)

When your "grip" hand is to far forward, your arm runs out of room to pendulum. In order to "finish" the stroke, you end up manipulating the cue by twisting your wrist sideways or some other funky junk.....

Try widening the gap...and while your at it check your bridge length...a "touch" longer bridge length will probably give you "smoother" shots and more action on the cue ball......

Just something to try....RC

05-11-2003, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> For instance, I have been playing pool regularly for 8 months or so.I have good fundamentals due to good instruction and practicing the things I was taught. I shoot pretty decent for the time I have played regularly.
Laura <hr /></blockquote>

I've been playing about the same amount of time and have excellent fundamentals too.

Scott Lee
05-11-2003, 12:15 PM
GreenLion...Check your private messages!

Scott Lee

GreenLion
05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
thx for the info! WaltVA /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GreenLion
05-11-2003, 08:52 PM
No Problem about the post cheese.I have 4 dogs and 6 cats so i know the feeling.Thx for welcoming me to the Board /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GreenLion
05-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Richard i tried your suggestion and i dont think that was the problem but thx for the suggestion.While trying your suggestion i think i ran across the problem though.My forearm was to far away from my body.So to solve that i relax my forearm so that it (brushed) up agianst my shirt.Im now hitting the CB very good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GreenLion
05-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Thx to everyone for directing me toward Scott Lee.As you can see above he has contacted me and is going to be in my neck of the woods late next month /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifI did find the problem with my forearm but theres areas of my game where perfessional instruction would benefit it greatly.

bluewolf
05-12-2003, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote YappingWolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> For instance, I have been playing pool regularly for 8 months or so.I have good fundamentals due to good instruction and practicing the things I was taught. I shoot pretty decent for the time I have played regularly.
Laura <hr /></blockquote>

I've been playing about the same amount of time and have excellent fundamentals too. <hr /></blockquote>

That is wonderful yapping wolf. My problem is not my stroke or alignment. It is lack of expereience, lack of time on the table. I know a good stroke is key, but I have heard you have to hit a million balls to be really goood. At that rate, maybe I can be half way decent in 20 years. My potting skills sure leave a lot to be desired. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw- i do shoot decent for the time I have played but that is not saying much when compared to those who have been in the game for 20-30 years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

dave
05-12-2003, 08:41 AM
This drill is as old as the hills but it works, and this is why it has been around so long. Get a small coke bottle (8oz.) and set it up on it's side on your table (you can still find them around the holidays). The opening in the bottle is your target (it's almost exactly the same height as the center of the cue ball). Bridge so that your stroke goes in and out of the bottle opening without touching the sides of the neck of the bottle. If there is any stroke flaw or loose bridge it will show immediately. You'll correct that stroke pretty quick this way. It's old and it's corny but it works.

dave
05-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Another, is to set up a ball on the foot spot. Aim to pocket the ball in a far corner (no cue ball is used here). Hit center ball and follow all the way through with your tip finishing on the cloth. Now look at the foot spot. You should be finishing your stroke with your shaft aligned and centered directly over the foot spot. Repeat until there isn't even a slight deviation of the alignment of that shaft over the spot. This is another old, standard drill. Shoot a whole rack of balls this way.

bluewolf
05-12-2003, 12:37 PM
I would have a good player look at you stroke the ball. If your overall stroke is good, scott or randy could give you specifics, maybe it is alignment. Sometimes my stroke has done funny things like lower arm going out because I was off in my alignment.

Laura

GreenLion
05-12-2003, 04:19 PM
You may be right about my alignment.I dont check that too often cuase i guess i just take it for granted.Ill watch that more carefuly for now on.Thx BlueWolf
Thx to everyone for suggesting diff drills to work on as well

GreenLion
05-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Ive tried all the drills mentioned but ive spent more time on the pop bottle drill and it has made me much more aware of what my mussles are doing during the stroking process.During a practice game ill take a shot which hopefully i make then i stroke in and out of the pop bottle 10 times then i continue with next shot.The reason i do it this way is cuase i stroke perfect alot more then if i would happen to stroke poorly.I feel i may be more accurate then i was. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
05-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Sounds like you found something that works. i think a stroke is 'muscle memory'. Once you learn how to do it, if you keep doing it that way, you cannot do it wrong.

After my lesson with scott, I was so into what he taught me about the stroke. I literally walked around without dropping my elbow and bring my lower arm to that 'home' position.

Another instructor tried to teach me how to do power shots. I really tried, but no matter how much i tried, I could not drop that elbow.

Anyway, this is a long way of saying that in finding a method that gives you stroke, over time, you will have to use that pop bottle less and less.

Congratulations!!

Laura

GreenLion
05-14-2003, 11:05 PM
After doing that pop bottle drill a few times i found out very quickly that i was dropping my elbow and it had little to do with my forearm eing to far from my body.I always feel better when i find a problem then fix it cuase if i happen to have that problem agian ill know whats cuasing it.Im now keeping a List of all my problems and how i solved them so that i never forget it.

bluewolf
05-15-2003, 03:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> After doing that pop bottle drill a few times i found out very quickly that i was dropping my elbow and it had little to do with my forearm eing to far from my body.I always feel better when i find a problem then fix it cuase if i happen to have that problem agian ill know whats cuasing it.Im now keeping a List of all my problems and how i solved them so that i never forget it. <hr /></blockquote>

It is good that you are realizing these things. My apa 7 hubbie taught me how to stroke a ball and I thought I was doing okay...until Scott Lee got ahold of me. Then I found out what a really good stroke was.

Laura