PDA

View Full Version : What's the women's high run record?

poolmouse
05-10-2003, 10:41 AM
OK...I asked Jean Balukus and she said her high run is 136. Jeanette Lee's high run at Amsterdam Billiards in NYC is 158. Is Jeanette Lee's high run the record? I can't seem to find any more info on this after a Google search and after asking everyone I know who tours.

Poolmouse

L.S. Dennis
05-10-2003, 11:17 AM
I don't know what the current record on a standard 4 1/2 x 9
is, but I don remember hearing about Dorothy Wise's 85 ball run on an old 5 x 10 foot table.

Interesting subject though,

Hopster
05-10-2003, 12:55 PM
I don't know what the current record on a standard 4 1/2 x 9
is, but I don remember hearing about Dorothy Wise's 85 ball run on an old 5 x 10 foot table. <--LS Dennis

A run of 85 by ANYBODY on a 5x10 impresses me. I miss that old one i used to play on, shame there arent none of them left anymore.

arn3
05-10-2003, 02:00 PM
in theory, anything on a 5x10 should be more difficult over the long haul, because there are bound to be a few shots that would be tougher than on a 4.5x9.

but in a well played 14.1 game, all the shots should be easy and played in the front half of the table anyway. and since i have been told that a high run on an 8 foot table is harder because all the balls are more congested, then i would think the same holds for a 9' versus a 10'.

the table looks easier if one SWITCHES from the 10'er to 9'er, however i think if you play ONLY on one or the other, you get used to either.

Chris in NC
05-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Jeanette's and Jean's high runs both came in practice sessions or in a private game. Ewa Laurance holds the women's U.S. Open 14.1 record for a high run - I think about 70 balls. As far as witnessed practice sessions, I heard that Line Kjoersvik also has surpassed the century mark for high runs. - Chris in NC

arn3
05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
i think it was 116.

jasmine O. has already done 120. most of the gals don't even bother playing 14.1. it wouldn't surprise me in the least if allison has only played the game to prep for the 14.1 tournament a few years ago.

jeanette LOVES 14.1

L.S. Dennis
05-10-2003, 11:58 PM
That congested theory of the 8 foot table vs the larger table is just that, theory!

Ask anyone who's done a lot of playing on 8 foot and 9 foot tables and they'll tell you the bigger table is going to be tougher every time. If I'm not mistaken Mosconi's 526 ball run came on an 8 foot table. Curious he never came close to that (at least not reasonably close) when he played on the larger tables!

Just some observations,

mickey2
05-11-2003, 01:19 AM
As fare as I remember Jasmin was also shooting over 80 during competition and was playing an avg. around 8 in the league.

nAz
05-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Hey PoolMouse were you @ H.O.F. Billiards last thursday night?

Popcorn
05-11-2003, 10:09 AM
From my experience a 4 1/2 x 9 is the easiest to play 14.1 on. There are several factors that come into play on the tables. On a 4 x 8 for instance, it is easier to make break shots. If you get into a problem on the break shot, you seem to be able to get to the rack and open it with less trouble. The rack is the same size yet the table is narrower and shorter. You can cut a ball into the side pocket if you have to and go all the way to the head rail and back and hit the rack. Even going two and three rails, the rack seems to present a much bigger target getting you into the next rack to continue the run. Having said that, once the rack is cracked, it does seem more congested. A 4 1/2 x 9 to me seems like the perfect table, a little more of room and all shots are manageable. A 5 x 10, forget it, especially if it is a little tough. You have to save break shots differently, if you are short like me, you may end up shooting some break shots with the bridge. Break shots like off the bottom rail, you can easily go around the rack missing the breakup, same with anything off two or three rails. It will expose every weakness you have. This shot always scared me to death,

START(
%AQ5M6%PL1Z6

)END
The side pocket seems so far away, from that angle.

This one will kill you if you have to make it for the cash, It will look a mile away.

START(
%AH8Z2%Pb1D9

)END

A spot shot seems twice as hard on the 5 x 10. The extra room does not help at all. It is amazing (to me anyway) how just that little extra size makes the game so much harder. Like I said, it will expose your every weakness. You would think it would make no difference in position play, but it does. Say you want to cut a ball in and go to a rail and come out, it is harder to get exactly where you want because you are going farther. Going to the end rail and back down table requires real control, if you are off angle at all, by the time the cue ball gets back it is not even close to where you wanted it. I am just speaking for myself of course, but I think the 4 1/2 9. was a real boost for the game. It allows average players to enjoy the game, yet is still very challenging to the pro player. I am very open to disagreement, on any of this, because I have heard a lot of older players who would not agree with me. Hell, I think the bar table is the greatest thing to ever come along in the sport. It has brought the game to more people then anything else. Want to put somebody in the BCA hall of fame? Find the guy that invented the coin operated table, he all but saved the sport. All of this is in my opinion of course.

Popcorn
05-11-2003, 12:59 PM
You may be thinking or Ruth McGinnis, her high run was 85 on a 5 x10. According to records she had a high run in competition of 125. Also according to players that knew her and saw her play back then, she had many hundred + runs although not found in any records. With few women to play against, she often played in mens tournaments with success. You only find records of world championship tournaments still around, but in places like Philly and NY, hundreds of tournaments were played with top players competing. According to the BCA she only lost 29 out of 1532 exhibition matches played, a pretty amazing record. By the way, she did not get into the BCA hall of fame till 1997 if you can believe that, 23 years after her death. It is easy for people to forget the past and just see what is currently in front of them.

NBC-BOB
05-13-2003, 01:02 PM
I remember back in the early 90's watching Ewa run I think it was 68 balls for the women's high run.The 14-1 tournament was sponsored by Blatt billiards.

L.S. Dennis
06-29-2003, 10:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> I don't know what the current record on a standard 4 1/2 x 9
is, but I don remember hearing about Dorothy Wise's 85 ball run on an old 5 x 10 foot table. &lt;--LS Dennis

A run of 85 by ANYBODY on a 5x10 impresses me. I miss that old one i used to play on, shame there arent none of them left anymore.

<hr /></blockquote>
Does any manufacturer still make the old 5x10 style table??

Hopster
06-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Does any manufacturer still make the old 5x10 style table?? &lt;--L.S. Dennis

Good question, i asked if anyone saw any of them around anymore and someone said in Chicago there are still a few around but as far as a manufacturer goes, i dont know. Im sure you could order one custom if you had the cash.
But it seems to me the manufacturers want to make the 4x8,s and the 4 1/2 x 9,s with big pockets cause the public doesnt want to take the time to master the game that a 5x 10 entails. Does that theory make sense ?

L.S. Dennis
06-30-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>

Good question, i asked if anyone saw any of them around anymore and someone said in Chicago there are still a few around but as far as a manufacturer goes, i dont know. Im sure you could order one custom if you had the cash.
But it seems to me the manufacturers want to make the 4x8,s and the 4 1/2 x 9,s with big pockets cause the public doesnt want to take the time to master the game that a 5x 10 entails. Does that theory make sense ? <hr /></blockquote>

Hopster,

What you say makes excellent sense. I'm sure that the market for one of those old things would be almost non existent (unfortunately). The smaller tables with the bigger pockets are much more marketable to be sure.

Guess I'm just old fashion, I loved those old 5x10's!