PDA

View Full Version : Help: Olhausen VS. Brunswick tables... opinions ?

Snyder1
05-10-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm remodeling my downstairs as we speak in preparation for a table. The two dealers in my area are Brunswick & Olhausen. I've heard pro & cons for each, but would love to hear anything at all from those who have played on, and have formed opinions about either, as this is a major investment. Thanks VERY much for your help ...

John (PS - I've read in the archives that many suggest scouring the want ads & finding an older well built table ... in the rural area I live this is not an option, so I'll be buying new.)

dg-in-centralpa
05-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Are you looking for a bar box or a 9 footer? Call Shay's Vending, if you want a bar box. They have decent tables at a decent price. I got mine there years ago. If you want a 9 foot, check with Wambold Billiards in Akron.

05-10-2003, 03:23 PM
IMO, both are great tables, but I give the edge to Brunswick, although they tend to be a bit pricey for comparable tables. I bought an 8' Brunswick Avalon for Christmas, and I love it. I've always been a Brunswick fan, and their furniture grade tables are beautiful.

If you prefer pro or commercial style to furniture style, a new GC IV is nice but pricey -- I would probably lean toward a Diamond Pro if I were buying a 9' pro-style table. This is an exceptional table that is growing increasingly popular among top players, and is available *with* a beautiful matching light kit for about what I paid for my 8' Avalon alone (and around half what a new GC IV costs). At one time, don't know if this has changed recently, you could order a Diamond Pro direct from the factory and they would bring it out and install it themselves. Don't recall the wait time, IIRC they waited until they had a few in the general region to install. I'm thinking the Pro with light will be my next table, but it'll have to wait until I have a new house with a larger pool room.

DSAPOLIS
05-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Both are great companies that make great products. You cannot lose either way. I'd lean towards the Olhausen, but that's becuase I have had more experience dealing with that company.

pooldaddy9
05-11-2003, 04:24 AM
I've had both and you couldn't go wrong with either one. I do kinda favor the Brunswick. I guess which ever one you can get the best price on.

Snyder1
05-12-2003, 09:06 AM
... appreciate your help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

John

05-12-2003, 09:11 AM
i have a brunswick gold crown 4, and i love it, but i'll say that i have learned this over the years, it's better to have a drop pocket table at home than ball return. Theirs been to many times i've accidentally knocked the chalk into the pocket, but other than that i love the table, and i use simons 860, when it comes time for a change, am going to switch to simons 300, whewww. But it's a hell of a table.
my friend just bought a table from " SEARS " for about 17 or 1800, but it's a nice mahogny table with drop pockets, and it actually had a real slate, i thinks it's and 8ft. but it's nice. man i need drop pockets bad.

ladybilliards
05-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Both are great tables, I just purchased an Olhausen because their "furniture" style matches my living room furniture. Gold Growns are great but it just wouldn't match our comtemporary style. I don't know what accessories you get with Brunswick but with my table, I get a deluxe accessory kit which inclues, Aramith Premium balls, two-piece wall rack to match table, 4 cues (one piece Cuetecs!)bridge, short cue, chalk and delivery, set-up and lifetime guarantee on rails, bumpers, slate...all for $5700. 9footer, Simonis, - style, Waterfall. Still waiting..delivery is set for 5/24!

lb

tateuts
05-13-2003, 01:22 PM
I have an Olhausen at home - it's about 10 years old. Overall, I like it, but here's what I don't like: 1) It came with 5" pockets. These are buckets and are ridiculous. I had them shimmed to 4 1/2" and they're fine 2) My table didn't come with levelers (you shim it under each leg) - again, not good 3)One of the slate pieces has a slight bow in it. This was not apparent with the thick cloth that came with the table, but it was when I had it changed out to Simonis 860. If you are a serious player, get the Simonis - it makes a world of difference. 4) The leather pockets are stapled and come loose easily.

What I do like about the Olhausen is that it's nice looking
and the rails play very well. Also, for home, definitely get the drop pockets (quieter) and I suggest putting the table in a room where you can close the doors and play as late as you want.

regards,

Chris