PDA

View Full Version : Stealth AirTime jump cue

Karatemom
05-10-2003, 02:08 PM
I got an Air Time for an early Mother's Day present and haven't a clue how to use it, LOL. Chris will be giving me some tips later on when we venture out to the ph, but was wondering if there were any suggestions anyone could give me about jumping balls at different distances. I've not been so successful at jumping balls in the past.

TIA,

Heide

05-10-2003, 02:53 PM
mom, i wish i could help, but i really suck at jumping on pooltables, i find it easier to just masse the shot then to jump the ball, maybe one day i'll master it.

ceebee
05-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Jumping with the Cue Ball is about CUE TIP SPEED. Where you hit the Cue Ball (left, right, high or low) & what elevated angle you employ is certainly important too.... but speed is the key. Visualize yourself POPPING the Cue Ball up & over the barrier...

One element to consider is where will the Cue ball be when it hits the object ball. A good formulae is 50% of the first distance that Cue Ball is in the air & %50% of the remaning distances...i.e. 3ft, 1 1/2 FT, 9 inches, 4 1/2 inches & so on. That will help you keep the Cue Ball on the table.

Some JUMP Cues now come with a phenolic tip which helps a great deal... a 45" JUMP Cue also helps with the extra length... but shy away from weight.

jjinfla
05-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi Karatemom, Tell Chris that I still have my Stealth Air Temp Jump Q but don't use it too much. Never did get the hang of it. But here is a site that will help you learn what to do. bunjeejump.com/2k_changes/bunjee_instructions_2K.htm (http://bunjeejump.com/2k_changes/bunjee_instructions_2K.htm)

Hope that helps. And the next time Dr. Q is on trick shots watch what he can do with his little jumper. Jake

Sid_Vicious
05-10-2003, 07:55 PM
I found that I needed a bakelite retrofit on my Stealth to get it to jump. I know that other players on here jumps with the factory tip, but I tried many upgrades in tips and was at the point of quitting on the Stealth until I finally said to myself, "Just spend the 20 and try the bakelite, Lucasi tip, else you'll never know this cue's potential." Believe me when I say that I tried a lot or tips, including a phenolic, and the thang just didn't jump for me. I'm fairly sure you know much of my history with mine, my Lucasi jumping "all over" the Stealth, and the Lucasi HAS the bakelite tip. Heidi, IF YOU DO DECIDE TO CHANGE, do yourself a favor and get a bakelite installed. It makes it easy.

As far as technique, use the dart stroke, and grip the jumper right about the joint of the shaft and the butt(don't use the extension.) Vizualize the contact point of the CB at 1 to 2 tips above the equator, square your feet, then aim like you are hitting the OB at the same angle and same contact point as the CB. I used to try to see the OB contact point like the usual, regular stroke aim point, pinpoint at the equator, but this I found different when jumping. If we lived closer I'd be happy to work with you, but this ought to get you a good start. The bakelite was my personal magic addition to the Stealth to keep me wanting to keep it. It was the difference between daylight and dark for me. Just try this a bit and see what you get, start jumping shallow, soon I bet you'll be crowding one balls width on whole ball jumps...sid

Scott Lee
05-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Heide...I have been using and selling the Stealth Air Jumper for the past 14 months. It is THE definitive jump cue out there, and does NOT need a different tip, imo (sorry sid)! The technique to use it is quite similar to stroking through the CB on any other shot. IMO, speed is NOT the crucial factor...comfort with the timing of your swingspeed is. Most people I run across who have a hard time jumping (with any cue, let alone the Stealth), are simply trying too hard! You can jump using your normal grip, with a 30-45 degree elevation...or you can use the "dart-style" grip, with a higher degree elevation of the cue, for short, close-up jumps. The real key is a very loose grip, and a throwing motion. You need very little swing speed to jump a full ball, 6 inches from the CB...and
even less when you are a foot or more away from the OB. Use the light weight of the jump cue to your advantage. I'll be happy to give you a short lesson next month, when I come through the Quad Cities, on my way to Chicago. BTW, Happy Mother's Day!

Scott

Karatemom
05-11-2003, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> I'll be happy to give you a short lesson next month, when I come through the Quad Cities, on my way to Chicago. BTW, Happy Mother's Day!

Scott <hr /></blockquote> You're on!

Heide

stickman
05-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Heide, take Scott's advice and help. I spent one night at the poolhall with a friend who is a good jumper, and was immediately jumping with mine. It's all in the technique. I haven't used mine for quite a while. I've been playing APA mostly and haven't been carrying my jumper for that reason. I did jump a ball in practice last Thurs. night WITH MY SHOOTING CUE! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (Only because I learned how with the Stealth) If I can make it work, anyone should be able to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif No offense Sid /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif