PDA

View Full Version : Another Pool Hall Junkies Movie Review

Chris in NC
05-10-2003, 03:10 PM
I was recently loaned a copy of Pool Hall Junkies, and have watched it twice in the past 24 hours. It's clearly not a first rate movie and pretty easy to see why it likely won't ever be extensively marketed and shown in theaters. However, for a pool lover it's a pretty darn good fix!

I would say it's alot like Color of Money, but not quite as polished with not quite as good an acting cast - with a few exceptions. The star, Mars Callahan is very likeable (very much like Tom Cruise was in The Color of Money).

I would say that if you'r'e a passionate pool player like I assume most of us on this board are, as long as your expectations for this movie aren't too high you'll enjoy it. Incidentally, following the initial letdown after watching the movie the first time, I found that I enjoyed it much more the second time around!

Yeah, it's corny, but there are some great lines and the music was great. Certainly worth seeing for a pool player.

05-10-2003, 03:57 PM
I saw it myself recently, so I'll toss out my $0.02 review as well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree that it's no Oscar winner, definitely gets a bit corny at times (did anybody else get sick of that "it was {insert loud place here} just a few minutes ago, now its quiet as a church up in this motherf*****" line?), and the pool playing was way "overdone" for the most part -- too fast, too many rediculous show-off shots, and Rick Schroeder looked like he'd never picked up a cue before, yet plays a touring "pro" in the movie.

But I still liked it.

Somebody who isn't a student of the game probably won't appreciate it, so it won't appeal to the general public like TCOM did. There was a lot of name dropping of well-known road players and pro's, and esoteric hustler lingo like "playing on the wire" and "air barrel" that probably left non-players scratching their heads.

Supposedly, Mars Callahan is a decent shooter IRL, but I thought his acting was pretty lousy. However, Christopher Walken, as is often the case, stole the show! I thought his screen time was way too short -- he's one of my favorite character actors, and IMO was the best actor of the bunch. For those who haven't read the BD interview with Mars that talked about the scene where Walken's character wins that bet during the dinner party with that timed 8-ball cut/kick shot, Mars said they set aside lots of time to get it right, then asked Walken if he wanted to practice awhile. Walken said "nah, I'll just shoot the shot" and nailed it on the first try! And Walken doesn't even play pool! Mars said his reaction in the scene after the shot was genuine, i.e he wasn't acting -- he was genuinely surprised by how cool Walken played that shot!

Chazz's character was WAY over the top in the jerk department. I can't see a real stakehorse with that attitude surviving for very long...

As mentioned, Rick Schroeder, while I think a decent actor, didn't come across well as a pro player in the movie. They should have spent more time with his technique, as he really did look like somebody playing his first week of pool.

Oh, and Clint Eastwood's daughter shore wuz purdy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I would give it maybe 7/10 in the overall movie quality department, but any movie that promotes the game of pool gets an honorary 10/10 from me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif