PDA

View Full Version : Pool Glove

Cuemage
03-25-2002, 08:52 PM
I own a Sir Joseph pool glove but use it sparingly (when hand gets really sweaty, or when my cuestick picks up a lot of debris from a dirty table). When I made the transition from 100% usage, I noticed a better "feel" of the cue (more control). What are your experiences with a pool glove?

The Cuemage

Barbara
03-25-2002, 09:12 PM
I always use a glove and the Sir Joseph glove is thin enough that I can feel a ding in my shaft with it. My hands have too much oil to be able to not shoot with it.

I don't usually see men shooting with a glove and I'm wondering if this is a "macho" thing.

Barbara

Cuemage
03-25-2002, 09:18 PM
I've seen several men shoot with it (Earl Strickland included). Some non-players have seen me shoot with it & call me a Jedi Knight...hahaha

The Cuemage

Gayle in MD
03-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Hi there, I also use a glove. I have bought at least twenty gloves, and lost most of them, but never paid attention to brand names, though I wish I had. I started using a glove shortly after I began to play, because the skin between my thumb and hand seemed to get in the way of smooth stroking, and also because I hate to get chalk on my clothes. Also, I never break with my cue, I use a house stick, and they always feel so sticky. The problem I have had with gloves is that they don't hold up under frequent washing, and don't seem to have enough lycra (sp) in them. I have seen some out there that look nicer, and seem to fit more snugly, and have a more brief cut, which I like. Do you think St. Josephs are the best on the market? Also can you order them on line?
Some have suggested that I try to shoot without a glove, saying that I would have a better feel of the cue, but I just can't even imagine going without my glove. What's your experience?
Gayle in Md

03-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Barbara says:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I don't usually see men shooting with a glove and I'm wondering if this is a "macho" thing.
<hr></blockquote>
Barbara, I often wonder about this myself. I never used a glove until recently. Right before I started to use one, I asked a player (male) I was shooting with what he thought about them. He thought people who used gloves were "posers", that is, people who belive that they are someone that they are not (wanabes.)
The fact is, my palms sweat way too much to use a closed bridge without a glove. My self esteem is firmly intact, and I let my cue do my talking for me, so I don't have any "issues" as such. I don't allow powder on my home table, but I do have extra gloves for anyone who wants to use one. After initial reservations ("the boys back home would laugh..."), nearly ALL of my friends and/or neighbors use them now. Why? They got over it once they realized that they played better.
It's a lot easier to talk trash when you're winning...

BTW, I smoked that "player" who trashed the glove both times we played. Once with the glove, once without.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
the Sir Joseph glove is thin enough that I can feel a ding in my shaft with it <hr></blockquote>I agree.

Tim

stickman
03-25-2002, 09:45 PM
I used to use one. My hands always seemed sticky and I could feel the shaft dragging across my bridge hand. After wearing out and loosing enough of them, I finally decided to go without. I don't know if I finally just adjusted to it or what, but I feel quite confortable without one now. I keep a clean towel in my cue case and try to keep my hands clean and my shaft clean. Other than that, I don't do anything special. The rednecks in the bars around here had there wise cracks to make about my glove also. Nothing like taking their money to shut them up though. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif Michael Jackson LOL

03-26-2002, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> I always use a glove and the Sir Joseph glove is thin enough that I can feel a ding in my shaft with it. My hands have too much oil to be able to not shoot with it.

I don't usually see men shooting with a glove and I'm wondering if this is a "macho" thing.

Barbara <hr></blockquote>
Hi Barbara,
How Macho can it be? Michael Jackson runs around with one glove on... Seriously, I tried the glove and just wasn't that comfortable with it(has nothing to do with peer pressure,they can kiss my patooty). The glove makes the shaft feel alot thicker and is a little distracting. I also have sweaty hands and I have a solution: I keep a clean towel for my hands/cue and I treat the cue shaft with a silicone spray. A road player told me once that I can fix the "sticky shaft" problem by going to an automotive parts store,buying a can of Silicon Spray Lube(make sure it's not WD 40 or aomething oil based) and spraying my shaft before every match. Buff lightly with a paper towel and you are good to go. This works like a charm and I swear by it. Let me know if you decide to try it.

E

SpiderMan
03-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Gayle,

You've been playing three years, and you've already lost more than twenty gloves? Maybe engineers have two left feet, but .........

SpiderMan

Pizza Bob
03-26-2002, 11:09 AM
I have used a glove 100% of the time for about the last two years. Couldn't imagine not using one. Aside from keeping the shaft cleaner, it makes for a very consistent stroke - one less variable to worry about. I have found that different brands have different levels of sensitivity and I've settled on the Sir Joseph pull-on (haven't tried their velcro closure yet - but I subscribe to the KISS theory) for the best "feel" and longevity. I think the posers are those too entrenched in tradition to try anything "new" that might help.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Gayle in MD
03-26-2002, 12:13 PM
Hi there, LOL. Hey, now I didn't say anything about engineers, I was talking about sail boaters! Yeah, I have lost so many gloves, I used to take my glove off when I go to the ladies room and leave it on the table. When the waitress would come by to clean off the table, there goes my glove! Keep it in my pocket these days, even dummies like me wise up eventually!
Have a great day,
Gayle in Md,

Kato
03-26-2002, 12:19 PM
Macho? I always said that it would be ok for a woman to wear a glove but for a man to do it he would have to be one heck of a player. Stupid comment I think by me. I made this assessment after watching a girlfriend of mine's brother play with a florescent green glove. I've tried them a couple of times but I just don't like them. I just like the wood feel on my skin. As far as keeping shafts slick I like Maguier's carnuba car wax. Good stuff.

Kato

Chris Cass
03-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi Kato,
If I ever seen a guy walk into a room with a glove on, a pool shirt, a magnetic chalk holder on his belt and flood pants on with white socks(the Micheal Jackson type pants). I'd be all over him to play. So, after thinking of this a while. I don't think it would be a bad thing.

Regards,
C.C.~~the 2 and out man......

03-26-2002, 12:56 PM
I use them only on the break. My hands are a little too sweaty and sticky to not use one for the break. But for everything else, I don't use them. It takes the feel of the shaft away from me. My hands being a little sweaty and sticky aren't a problem, because of the different bridge and shooting technique I use when shooting, as opposed to breaking.

Ralph S.
03-26-2002, 01:02 PM
I personally have tried the glove thing before and didn't like it a bit. I found it to be more of a distraction than anything. What I do normally is a frequent hand washing to keep chalk dust and oil residue from the skin from building up and also keep the cue shafts well maintained. I wouldn't go so far as to say the glove thing is about being macho or whatever, I just believe the player should use what ever method they feel most comfortable with. Ralph S.

stickman
03-26-2002, 01:05 PM
Earlier, I stated that I didn't do anything special to my shaft, but after reading Kato's post about the carnuba wax, I realized there are a few things I do.

For cleaning my shaft ocassionally, I use the following method. I don't know if the pros would recommend it, and if it is terribly risky perhaps one of them will correct me.

I use a fine white powder with bleach, like you would use to clean a sink. (Nothing with green cystals) I make a very dry paste on a damp white cloth. I keep it as dry as possible and scrub the shaft and ferrule clean with it. All the nasty grime and blue chalk dust comes out of the shaft and it looks new again. I wipe the shaft clean with a slightly damp clean cloth and stand it vertical to completely dry. If you have any small dings, you can dampen a small piece of toilet paper and place it over the ding to draw it out. Once completely dry, the shaft will look clean, but dull. I then take an undyed piece of leather and buff the shaft. It is not necessary to rub hard, but fast. This seals the shaft and returns the gloss. Once I am satisfied with the gloss, I use a cream colored carnuba wax to further seal the shaft. With care, this is not needed frequently. Maybe once every 6 months, depending on how much you play and how careful you are.

My shafts look new, and slide freely in my bridge. My biggest caution would be to minimize the moisture as much as possible. Excessive moisture could create multiple problems.

Okay pros, what do you think?

cheesemouse
03-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Chris,
Watch out if the guy talks with a limp and walks with a lisp. His road name is: "Too Many Feathers"

rackmup
03-26-2002, 01:39 PM
I tried the glove and it was a difficult adjustment at first, being the traditionalist that I am. After awhile, I went back to bare-handed playing and like it a lot better.

Leaving the glove behind had nothing to do with the "macho" thing. I experienced some serious side effects to the glove like moon walking, the urge to bleach my skin, began consuming a lot of Pepsi and had fantasies about Lisa Marie and BoBo the chimp smeared in chunky peanut butter.

I simply couldn't deal with it any longer.

Regards,

Ken (Who's bad?, I'm Bad, Eeeeeeeeeee Heeeeeeeeeeeee)

Rod
03-26-2002, 02:46 PM
Barbara, It might be a macho thing with some guys, I can't answer that question. I'd prefer to think that everyone either has a need, or no use for a product/glove.
I've never had a need for one because my hands are always dry. When I walk down the lotion isle in wallgreens the bottles start moving at me like I'm a sponge or magnet!
I'm sure for those that have oily or sweaty hands there great to use. What I wonderis, what do people do about their shooting hand? That would be miserable for me to have my shooting hand stuck to a cue. I've had it happen when my linen wrap isn't clean, duh! should have cleaned it.
In that case I use a touch of powder on the wrap.

shojingod
03-26-2002, 04:10 PM
Pool glove are GREAT! I love my glove. I always have my shaft slick from the get go but with the glove on top of that it is like a hot knife through butter. Some people think they look a little effeminate but I don't care. They make it where it counts. /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

shojingod
03-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Feel the force Luke. Come towards the dark side.

03-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Hi All,
I would recommend going to the local bowling alley and get your hands on a rosin bag. does the trick for me.

jjinfla
03-26-2002, 04:40 PM
Gayle, You wash your glove? Actually, I do too, once in a while, to get the smell of smoke out of it. And I keep it in my pocket all the time. It's there right now. I keep it until it is full of holes and then when someone around here puts in an order from the Mueller catalog (poolndarts.com) I usually order a couple. They are about $7 to $7.50 when you order 12 or more. And come in a variety of colors - you can have a different one for every day of the week. I use St. Joseph. I think they are a godsend. Without one I couldn't use a closed bridge. I saw Ray Martin playing with one a few months back. With more and more players using the glove I hear fewer negative comments. We have a lot of golfers here and if they comment about the glove I usually ask them if use a glove when they play golf. That usually confuses them. Jake

Doctor_D
03-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Good evening:

Personally, I prefer the NO glove approach. I have had the shafts on my cues dressed to the point where they are super smooth and, with very little effort, I am able to maintain a great finish on them.

Dr. D.

Barbara
03-26-2002, 11:01 PM
Eric,

I'm very happy with wearing a glove and as long as I keep chewing my fingernails down to the quik on my left hand, I find they last thaaaat much longer. It was when I let them grow out and got manicures every week that I put holes in them. Then I used to sew them up, but what the heck! Let's live large and get a new one!!

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll talk to my Cue Man about that.

Barbara~~~has "practice at home gloves" and "tourny gloves"...

Barbara
03-26-2002, 11:07 PM
Tim,

For me, wearing a glove was the only way I was ever going to learn how to play draw on the CB. I was shooting with an open bridge and coupled with poor mechanics, could not draw the CB very rarely, if only for a half foot or so. Using the glove with a closed bridge, my draw is much better.

Barbara~~~goes through 3-4 gloves a year...

Barbara
03-26-2002, 11:09 PM
Okay, so when you become the "Jedi Master of the Cue Ball", let me know. I know of a couple pool halls near me you should visit should you need any action....

Barbara

Barbara
03-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Hey Pizza Bob!! Thanks for introducing yourself to me at the Expo!

Barbara

03-27-2002, 09:32 AM
Well Barb,
As far as the finger nails/holes in glove thing, I guess it's like everything else in life; Damned if you do and...

E &gt;thinking Barb is a master seamstress by now

Gayle in MD
03-27-2002, 10:07 AM
Hi there, I got a lot of razzing about my glove, and still do when I shoot someplace new. Usually hear, "Oh here comes the Black Widow, watch out" The guys who shoot in my league always kidded me about it, until I started carrying a few extra gloves around with me, (Didn't really lose that many of them) and I started to give them away when they came over asking about my glove. Now, I would say probably about 30% of the players there are using gloves, and all of them are guys, two of them on my team. They swear by them now. The one bad thing about using a glove is that if you use one and really like it, and don't want to shoot without it, I doesn't help you much when you're out there looking for action, as a glove portrays you as a serious player. Since I don't gamble that's not a problem for me, but gloves and Sneaky Pete's don't go together too well, LOL.
Gayle in Md,

Kato
03-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Barbara, am I allowed to call you Barb like everyone else? Or would you prefer I still refer to you by your one true name. I'm just teasing and hoping to someday get some nuts.

I am curious though Barbara. Can you draw the rock without a glove now that your technique is better? I figure you can. Also, do you ever hit balls without a glove?

Kato~~~just wondering