PDA

View Full Version : What a surprise!!!

Drake
05-11-2003, 10:53 AM
My lovely and thoughtful wife purchased me a new book for my birthday about a month ago. The book turned out to be "Pleasures of Small Motions" by Dr. Bob Fancher. My first reaction was disappointment because of the posts that Dr. Bob had made on the CCB had gone against all traditional mental strategies in pool.....such as Play your opponent and not the table. SO, I wasn't to anxious to dive in and start reading. BUT, After reading the book from cover to cover twice .....it is the best book on the mental game I've read. I don't agree with every strategy than he encourages but it is a great book overall and you should read it. It truly was a pleasant surprise.

UWPoolGod
05-11-2003, 11:31 AM
I own the book as well. For what I have read it seems to be pretty good. However he seems to ramble on about the same subject for a little too long. Gets ya thinkin though

BillPorter
05-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Drake,

I agree with you about the book. Turns out the second edition is much better than the first edition. Fancher is no top pool player, but he knows some things about the mental aspects of the game. In fact, IMHO, and speaking as a person who has taught college level psychology courses for almost 40 years, I believe it's the best book about the mental aspects of pool that is available today. I'm not sure it will improve your pool game, but it might. It's certainly worth a read.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drake:</font><hr> The book turned out to be "Pleasures of Small Motions" by Dr. Bob Fancher. My first reaction was disappointment because of the posts that Dr. Bob had made on the CCB had gone against all traditional mental strategies in pool.....such as Play your opponent and not the table. SO, I wasn't to anxious to dive in and start reading. BUT, After reading the book from cover to cover twice .....it is the best book on the mental game I've read. I don't agree with every strategy than he encourages but it is a great book overall and you should read it. It truly was a pleasant surprise.<hr /></blockquote>