PDA

View Full Version : He Couldn't Play Worth A Damn...

tateuts
05-11-2003, 11:15 AM
When I was in dead stroke 20 years ago, there was a tough young motorcycle guy - we'll call him Timmy Boy - who hung around the pool hall who wanted to beat me really bad.

Problem was, he couldn't play worth a damn. His stroke was short, crooked, and nervous. He missed everything. He had no ability to play shape.

I gave him the wild 5-Out in 9 ball and waxed him for whatever change he had in his pocket. The more I won the madder he got. I stopped playing the kid because I figured he was a little unstable.

As far as his ability to play goes, I figured some people just don't have it, and this guy would never be a good player.

Well, I lost interest in pool and went my merry way.

About 10 years later, I decided to stop by the old pool hall and hit a few, see how everyone was doing. I didn't want to walk into a pool hall totally out of stroke, so I went to a bowling alley to practice up for a couple of days and get a little stroke going on.

I walk in, get a table, and it's all new faces. Guess who comes up? Yep, Old Timmy Boy, and he wants to play for money - EVEN UP!

Well, I figured Timmy was bluffing. There was no way Mr. Banana Stroke was going to beat me, even if I was a little out of stroke. I vividly recalled his pathetic 9 ball game. I knew this his kid had waited for me to walk through those doors for 10 years, and he wants payback. I also figured I had to play him.

So we matched up. And Timmy Boy kicked my butt.

He ran racks and rarely missed. His stroke was now long and smooth and flowing. He played shape and angles, and could even jump the cue ball accurately.

The moral of this story is:

For beginners - improvement will come with practice.

For advanced players - respect those beginners, they'll be gunning for you soon enough.

snipershot
05-11-2003, 12:50 PM
If you stopped playing for ten years and he was still playing after those 10 years I would expect the skill levels to be alot more even, that story reminds me of myself and my dad. He used to whoop me all around the table when I first started, I was determined to whoop him and now after a few years It's me that is whooping him, the same thing goes for my younger brother, I am whooping him and he is determined to beat me, I can certainly see him being better than myself in the future.

In fairness, you only had a couple days of practice to work on your stroke while he had probably practiced his a$$ off for the last 10 years, a lesson well learned though.

#### leonard
05-13-2003, 07:23 AM
That reminds me of my Larry Ridgeway story. I played Larry in Whiteys poolroom in Troy when I was in high school and lost my last 2 bucks to him. Five years later I beat him for some serious money in a small poolroom in Syracuse after which I told him I was getting even with him for his beating me in Troy. We had a great laugh over that.###

Wally_in_Cincy
05-13-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr>
...I didn't want to walk into a pool hall totally out of stroke, so I went to a bowling alley to practice up for a couple of days and get a little stroke going on....
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah. Bowling a few frames really helps my stroke a lot too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's a good story. I imagine this is a pretty common occurence too.

Before I started playing seriously I used to shoot with my co-workers at the bar on Friday. I could beat everybody except for 2 guys who I could never beat. Well I've run into them both in the last year and thrashed them both on the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif How sweet it is......

ceebee
05-13-2003, 11:42 AM
...my story is along these lines, but it is a bit different. When I was a young (18-25) player, I could play right along with some of the best. But, some of the worst thrashings I ever received, were from a few old men around the DFW area. I quit playing pool in '74 to be a Dad &amp; an Engineer. In '98 I retired &amp; somehow fate would have it that I should pick up another Pool Cue. In 2001 I won an Oklahoma State Championship... my highest acheivement in the game.
Now at 60, I am a threat to some of the young guns around the Tulsa area. I've become a better player by reading instructional books, watching instructional videos &amp; even went to Dayton for some lessons from George Rood. I have to tell you that learning the Diamond System from Preacher Feeney, Byrne, Bert &amp; the Hoppe Billiard book, practicing Target Pool, memorizing the 99 Critical Shots &amp; learning Bert Kinister's 6 &amp; 9 Point Stars made a world of difference.
I've always had a great stroke, but I have to admit that I played by the seat of my pants as a young man. Now, I have lots of knowledge to gird my game playing talents &amp; more patience to go with it. I have a very good Open Break Shot for 8 ball &amp; 9 ball and a superb Break Shot for Snooker, One pocket &amp; Straight Pool. Too bad I'm old man...

#### leonard
05-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Just know this Onifrio Lauri led the 1971 Worlds 14.1 Championship with 15-0 at 73 going on 74. That was in 1971, then the earthquake hit California and Lauri lost his next three games and his last chance to Win the Title. He had lost to Ralph Greenleaf by two balls when he was young man. He is still my lost canidate for the Hall of Fame.####