PDA

View Full Version : What are your pool goals?

bluewolf
05-12-2003, 08:09 AM
I really do not have too many long term goals because I do not know what are my capabilities. But here are some, sort of.

1. Learn to play one-pocket before I am real old. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
2. Reach my potential in pool,what ever that is.

Short term:

1. Get a little bit better every week in shooting and shape.
2. Have fun with my pool friends
3. Have fun
4. Did I mention, have fun? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

05-12-2003, 08:36 AM
my personal pool goal, is to be able to bank balls as well as i can shoot them. And as of june, am going to start keeping a record of the games i've won & loss.
example:
joe blow VS Jay (Muujahid)
Game: 9ball - race to 4
jay wins 4 -1.

and each and everynight i come home from the poolhall am going to write this down, and this goes for the same people that come over to play me, the only way i wont count your game is IF YOU/THEY JUST CAN'T SHOOT.

pooltchr
05-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Learning to play one pocket is easy...learning to play it well is another story.

As for reaching your potential, I'm not sure that is a good thing. How much fun would the game be if you knew you had reached your potential, and couldn't get any better??????

05-12-2003, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As for reaching your potential, I'm not sure that is a good thing. How much fun would the game be if you knew you had reached your potential, and couldn't get any better?????? <hr /></blockquote>

do you really believe that.

The reason i went to college for computer science was because computers amazed me, theirs always some new language coming out or some new hacking trick. Now as for pool/billiards it's just the same pool for me is like playing chess but only on a pool table, theirs always a new shot to learn, or even a new stragety, new game, new form of the game, i still have'nt played snooker, and i've have'nt mastered billiards yet either. so my point is that you'll actually never really reach that potential theirs to much to learn.

Predator314
05-12-2003, 08:55 AM
I just want to continue to improve so I will be a factor in any tournament I enter.

I am trying to be able string 3-4 racks together in 9-ball. The best I've done is 4 racks in a row, but that was a little luck and the balls breaking just perfect.

I want to improve my break.

I want to improve my safeties in 8-ball and 9-ball.

Last, but definitely not least. I want a 100+ ball run in straight pool.

Rich R.
05-12-2003, 09:03 AM
My goals:
1. Improve a little.
2. Enjoy myself a lot.

Not necessarily in that order. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dmgwalsh
05-12-2003, 09:11 AM
I'd like to develop a smoother stroke.
I'd like to be able to get more draw.
I'd like to get more consistent on long shots.
I'd like to learn cue control better, so that I have a pretty good idea of where the cue ball will go before every shot.
I'd like to learn more about throw and push.
I'd like to learn to analyze clusters better.

Slowly but surely. Dennis

UWPoolGod
05-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Everyones answers are right on. I would like to:

1. Play one pocket well.
2. Become a regional contender (no pro aspirations)
3. Be respected by everyone that I meet in the pool world.

eg8r
05-12-2003, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr> my personal pool goal, is to be able to bank balls as well as i can shoot them. And as of june, am going to start keeping a record of the games i've won &amp; loss.
example:
joe blow VS Jay (Muujahid)
Game: 9ball - race to 4
jay wins 4 -1.

and each and everynight i come home from the poolhall am going to write this down, and this goes for the same people that come over to play me, the only way i wont count your game is IF YOU/THEY JUST CAN'T SHOOT. <hr /></blockquote> My suggestion is to also count whether they are a good shooter. If you are logging data to track progress, don't discount good data. Set up a scale for opponent skill level. If the person shoots the lights out, then they are a 5, if they have never played before they are a 1. You fill in the middle. In doing this, you will see how well you concentrate. If at the beginning of the year you are winning against 1's on average 4-3, and then at the end of the year you are winning 4-0 you can determine that your concentration level has increased and you don't get board playing a person of a lesser skill level.

I would also add an attribute for mindset. Were you playing for fun or were you serious. This will help you remove the "playing for fun" data in the calculations so you can see what your progress is when you bear down and play serious.

These are just suggestions, however if you are serious and diligent, make sure you are truthful also. It is very easy to get whipped by a lesser skill level (who is playing above their head) and you just chalk it up to "playing for fun." If you get beat and you were not playing for fun then mark it that way.

Have fun with the data collection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

bluewolf
05-12-2003, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr>

do you really believe that.

on a pool table, theirs always a new shot to learn, or even a new stragety, new game, new form of the game, i still have'nt played snooker, and i've have'nt mastered billiards yet either. so my point is that you'll actually never really reach that potential theirs to much to learn. <hr /></blockquote>

Good point. Always learning, that is true. I have so much to learn, I never thought of that point.

As far as op goes, I would like to get good enough at it so that people would want to mess around with me at op at the ph. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

SecaucusFats
05-12-2003, 12:01 PM
My goal? To win the US Amateur Championship at some point within the next five years.

Shorter term goal? My APA team going to Vegas and winning it all.

Fats

bluewolf
05-12-2003, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>

My suggestion is to also count whether they are a good shooter. If you are logging data to track progress, don't discount good data. Set up a scale for opponent skill level. If the person shoots the lights out, then they are a 5, if they have never played before they are a 1. You fill in the middle. In doing this, you will see how well you concentrate. If at the beginning of the year you are winning against 1's on average 4-3, and then at the end of the year you are winning 4-0 you can determine that your concentration level has increased and you don't get board playing a person of a lesser skill level.

I would also add an attribute for mindset. Were you playing for fun or were you serious. This will help you remove the "playing for fun" data in the calculations so you can see what your progress is when you bear down and play serious.

These are just suggestions, however if you are serious and diligent, make sure you are truthful also. It is very easy to get whipped by a lesser skill level (who is playing above their head) and you just chalk it up to "playing for fun." If you get beat and you were not playing for fun then mark it that way.

Have fun with the data collection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I won more matches this past session that we just finished than the one before that , so I reckon I am improving and that is all that counts, really.

I have learned by making dumb mistakes to treat every shot,no matter how easy it looks, as the 'money ball'

I practice mainly short shots and the easy long ones. The hard long ones, not as much practice.Dont practice banks very much at all or kicks either. Right now I want to be real consistent with the easy stuff so I wont do something stupid in a match.

Laura

eg8r
05-12-2003, 12:38 PM
In the previous post I made I was adding to what muujahid had posted. I think you should also count the people that are of less skill level.

[ QUOTE ]
I won more matches this past session that we just finished than the one before that , so I reckon I am improving and that is all that counts, really.
<hr /></blockquote> There is no doubt that you should be getting better. Quantity of matches won from one session to the next does not always mean the same thing. There are a lot of variables that go into a session. Some examples would be your skill level through the session, your quality of play through the session, your opponents skill level, the quality of their play. It is quite possible for a 2 or 3 to beat a 5 especially when the 5 is not playing up to par that night. The question is, can the 3 beat the 5 when the 5 is playing at his true speed. The other issue is the upper and lower ends of the SL. There are 5's that can whip other 5's all day long. All this needs to be accounted for when trying to judge your skill improvement, not just "I won more matches this year".

When you are talking about beating people, you need to remember the spot. I am sure you are getting better, so you need to also pay attention to what kinds of spots you were getting before and what you are getting now. Just because you beat someone in APA does not mean you can beat the same person heads up.

One other thing to account for, was average opponent SL this year and years past. Last year, were you playing more 3's and 4's compared to this year. If this year you were playing more 2's and your SL had increased to a 3, then your matches won ratio should increase.

All I am saying is, "I won more matches this year" does not have to mean your skill improving. I am sure it is, however it is not a definite. There are many ways to look at improvement. Just keep practicing and competing.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
05-12-2003, 12:41 PM
To, like they say in the Army, Be All I Can Be--in pool that is.

bluewolf
05-12-2003, 12:57 PM
APA hmmm. Based on w/L and innings. I have a spot and that is good for my team. The higher sl I go up, less of a spot and not as much of a guarantee of wins. That is why most teams like to have good lower handicaps because they have that spot.

I do not consider playing with a spot the same thing as a dead even race. If I cannot beat them in a dead even race, it means that they are better, but of course I already knew that when I played the ones who were rated much higher.

In the two sessions I played lots of the same players and the skill of the players were similar.

I think I have gotten some better but also better in things like concentration, not folding even when I am behind.etc.

Laura

Rod
05-12-2003, 01:22 PM
The short version.

I just want to play near my level, give or take a little. I guess that's a goal. That is the name of the game though, consistancy. That doesn't mean I can't play better or that I don't try to improve. Some days are better than others but there is not a big difference. You can win matches, tournaments etc, even if you are a little off.

Rod

teen1216
05-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Become better than the best pro. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-12-2003, 03:32 PM
"Learning to play one pocket is easy...learning to play it well is another story."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Just goes to show the difference from one player to the next. I'm part of a camp who'd probably have 1-P on a different list...that goal would be to avoid it. Played well, it is enjoyable to see, but most people play average or less and it is slightly torturous to watch that!

After reading this subject title I realized I really have no set goals. I'll need to think about it a bit and make a specific goal of some kind....sid

GreenLion
05-13-2003, 01:11 AM
I have 2 goals i like to meet this yr.
1.Control my emotions better when things dont roll my way.
2.Think ahead more.I have a hard time staying ahead of my current shot sometimes.I get distracted alot.

bluewolf
05-13-2003, 05:04 AM
I do not have pool experience but suggestions on that you are talking about.

Emotions-anger, hurt. I had to identify why I felt that way. I felt put down but discovered it was ego. Being mad because I wanted to be good because of my ego.

I learned in meditation unattachment. Unattachment to emotions, pain,outcomes. This helps a person to play in the present and not have anger.

I think that meditation is a very good thing, a thing I have been getting back to, that I learned 12 years ago.

You have heart. Meditation can teach you control.

Also, I think is an experience factor. Someone who had been in the sport for 30 years told me that you win some and you lose some. When that light came on for me, it was no longer a huge disaster if I lost that night.

It is very simple to me. The other person won that night because they played better that night. Sometimes that person was sandbagging. That does not matter any more.I played my best even though the other person win. It is impossible to play more than ones best or to do miraculous things beyond the skills that a person has achieved.

And even though I always play my best, my best may be better on one night than another. I do not beat myself if I was not 'on' on that night, nor dwell on mistakes I made.

For instance, I have to safe because I do not have a shot. I do a bad hit on a shot I make 90% of the time. This gives my opponent bih and the win of that game. I can do two things. I can beat myself up and be angry and obsess over it. Or I can laugh at myself, and try to figure out why I missed that shot, so that I will not make that mistake next time.

I do not know how old you are. That sometimes is a factor in emotional control if less than 30 or so years old, depending on the person.

Laura--&gt; experience in life not pool.

Terry
05-13-2003, 06:49 AM
My pool goals are to be as good and have as much fun as I can while at the same time doing a better than good job of raising my kids. Oh yeah i'd like to stay happily married too. I know I can be better but being good at pool is not worth it although it was my first love, LOL. Terry

05-13-2003, 10:31 AM

05-13-2003, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> ((3) Defeat a woman pro. A guy in my 8 ball league was behind 5-1 in a tournament in Md with Karen Corr and came back to beat her 9-8. Very cool.

<hr /></blockquote>

what game were they playing?

what was his spot?

was this a tournament or just gamblin?

Aboo
05-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Short Term
#1: Beat my teams sl7 without a spot.
#2: Win the local APA handi-capped weekend tourny's 1+ times in my (4-5) skill level.
#3: Win one or more of them at the 6-7 level.
#4: Win an open tourny in my region.

Last, but probably not all...
I would like for someone to cuss when they draw me in any tourny or league play. I have spent the majority of my pool playing life cursing when I draw "the man" in a tourny. Just once, ONCE, I would like "the man" to be me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Told you that wouldn't be all...
I would also like to learn from every rack I play. Every rack.

cycopath
05-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Hmm, my goals are...

To crush my enemies, see them driven before me &amp; to hear the lamentation of their women.

bluewolf
05-13-2003, 10:57 PM
ww and I were talking about APA 5's and 6's before we went to sleep. He obviously cannot speak for them in other areas. He said here, 75% of them just try to run in their balls, even though they rarely run-out. He said that in most cases, it never occurs to them that they do not have a run and to play safe. (he knows of one 5 and about 2-3 sixes in our league that play smarter than this)

Geez, There must be a big difference between a seven and a six.

So my shooting game is jumping up and we are taking shape lessons, rather I am taking them from ww. So I have a new goal.

To beat an al6 sometime this session. This stimulates that kill or be killed thinking, once again.

"A thing is only impossible until somebody does it". "what you can conceive, you can believe, what you can believe, you can achieve"

Laura

bluewolf
05-14-2003, 04:20 AM
I think that as a person gets nearer to their goal, it is important to set new goals. Or if they learn that their goals were too 'lofty', to reevaluate that too.

To beat a six? Yeah it is kind of lofty but possible in a 6-2 race. Now, if the captain puts me against a 5 or 6 and I lose, I get to stay a two a little longer. If I beat them, I get bumped, especially if innings low.

So if the session is ten weeks, that gives me 70 days to practice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Aboo
05-14-2003, 11:15 AM
LOL

Kato
05-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Goals? That's an interesting topic. I have absolutely no real goals in pool anymore. I'm strictly a "for fun" player and have no goals as far as practice or stringing racks/making balls/winning tournaments goes. I have no APA goals because who wants to get raised anyway? I'd like to shoot at 60% in my non-handicapped league, that's of some importance to me. I'd like to develope a consistent, grip/stance/stroke. I really honestly think though that I probably won't get much better than I already am so mostly it's now about having a good time and playing to the best of my ability while taking into account how hard I work at the game.

Kato~~~the above view points are subject to change at any given moment.

bluewolf
05-14-2003, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Goals? That's an interesting topic. I have absolutely no real goals in pool anymore. I'm strictly a "for fun" player and have no goals as far as practice or stringing racks/making balls/winning tournaments goes. Kato~~~the above view points are subject to change at any given moment. <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,

In a way I wish I was like you. Sometimes I just say I want to have fun, I dont care about winning or losing, long as I have fun. This usually lasts one day. I guess i cannot help being the way I am but I do think you will live longer by having this relaxed, fun attitude.

Laura

Deeman
05-14-2003, 02:16 PM
My goals are to spend much more time improving my game on the CCB by accumulating enough posts (200) to qualify for the CCB tournament. In fact, I may give up playing as an improvement strategy entirely and devote myself to pure chat room improvement. Also, I would like to see both Women's and Men's Professional Pool get it's due respect during my lifetime. I would like to see Fast Larry answer one question directly before I unscrew the old Schon for the last time. I would like to see more shots of the women's players from behind, while they are shooting, on ESPN. I'd like to, for once in my life, be in the poolhall when some drunk millionaire wanders in looking for a money game. I'd love to put a six pack together when someone is watching. I'd love to be in the room with all the CCB'ers at one time.

Not that much to ask!!!

griffith_d
05-15-2003, 06:50 AM
Goals:

1. To get better than 2nd place where I play my weekly 9 ball tournament.
2. To find the perfect cue(it does not exist, this just gives me an excuse to keep on looking).
3. Get my table paid off by the end of the year.