PDA

View Full Version : Ball Weights True Or MYTH???

05-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Hello
the other day somebody told me that in a 9 ball break people like the 8 in back and the 1 in front because the 8 is the heaviest and the 1 is lightest, does anyone know how much each ball weighs or all they all the same? is there any differnce bewteen 1-15 balls and the cb?

qSHAFT
05-13-2003, 01:38 AM
They should be all the same weight in a good set of balls.

The one ball probably would be the lightest object ball in a old set used primarily for nine ball since it will always be hit on the break and erode the most. However I would suggest the reason they put it in front is not because it is the lightest, but because that is the rule for racking nine ball. The cue ball would be the lightest because it is eroded on every shot. Some bar tables have mechanisms to determine when the 8 ball is sunk so it doesn't return the cue ball anymore, so I could plausably see that the 8ball could be made heavier for this purpose, but not normally.

I really don't see that the minute weight differences we are talking about would make a significant change to the break shot, cause the balls should be all frozen and thus transfer the same force regardless of wieght.

Cheers - qSHAFT

05-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Hmmm that is kinda what i thought

ceebee
05-13-2003, 11:54 AM
..the balls should all weigh the same. Some folks like the 8 Ball racked at the back of the rack to get it out of the rack area on the break shot, because it's the pivot ball for a shot at the 9 ball.
In the World BIlliards, the 2 Ball has to be racked at the back.

Aboo
05-13-2003, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some bar tables have mechanisms to determine when the 8 ball is sunk so it doesn't return the cue ball anymore, so I could plausably see that the 8ball could be made heavier for this purpose, but not normally.
<hr /></blockquote>

The bar tables that do this... they keep the cue ball if all the balls are sunk, not the 8-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif In other words, it counts the number of balls sunk, not which specific one was pocketed.

Scott Lee
05-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Absolutely correct q-Shaft! The 1-ball and the CB would be the lightest, due to the most collisions, and in the CB's instance, erosion from the abrasive chalk. That is only one reason balls get lighter over time. They are made of plastic, which is a petroleum product, and will, over time, lose miniscule weight to evaporation. However, the Aramith Red Circle CB has a special coating, that prevents any weight loss from anything, including long time play and wear.

Scott Lee

qSHAFT
05-13-2003, 06:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Some bar tables have mechanisms to determine when the 8 ball is sunk so it doesn't return the cue ball anymore, so I could plausably see that the 8ball could be made heavier for this purpose, but not normally.
<hr /></blockquote>

The bar tables that do this... they keep the cue ball if all the balls are sunk, not the 8-ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif In other words, it counts the number of balls sunk, not which specific one was pocketed.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I've gota say I have not seen this behaviour in any modern bar box I have played on. However, I did notice this happening many years ago on a english 8ball bar box(with the yellow and red balls) with a slot driven mechanism (you know where you put the coins in slots and then push the slot tray forward into the machine). It was really anoying to not be able to pot the remaining balls in. The 8 ball was a notably different size on it, though I can't remember if it was bigger or smaller.

Cheers - qSHAFT