PDA

View Full Version : Alering your glasses to play Pool

ceebee
05-13-2003, 12:06 PM
...anyone interested in seeing how I've altered a separate pair of glasses to play Pool? Just e-mail me & I'll send some pics. I purchased a set of frames from a thrift store for $2.00, got my prescription & Non-Glare Lenses for $100... it was time to play some Pool.
One other item of interest is this... I had my optometrist modify my prescription to 10 foot & nearer. It made all the difference in the world. I jumped a whole skill rating in a day or two & they are'nt too sure it shouldn't have been 2 skill ratings. God, I could see the balls without compensating for refraction... Yabba Dabba Doo

stick8
05-13-2003, 10:44 PM
I did about the same thing, My optometrist ordered me skeet shooting glasses, andput lens from 0-10ft workes great. STICK

pooltchr
05-14-2003, 06:29 AM
For anyone who wears glasses, I would check out
www.sportglasses.com (http://www.sportglasses.com)
Having your lenses adjusted for optimum vision from 3 to 10 feet with these frames makes seeing the table easy, and you don't end up with the top of your glasses cutting your field of vision.

ceebee
05-14-2003, 08:44 AM
say there pool teacher... Hy-Wyd-Decot is a great pair of glasses, but they are also expensive. I took a $2 pair from a Thrift Store and simply altered the frames's position on my nose... Voila! a great pair of glasses.
By the way, I also have since found a pair of Hy-Wyd Glasses on eBay /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif... I like my creation above theirs.
Thanks for adding that website info for the players to have access to... cb

Joel
05-14-2003, 09:59 AM
if your prescription is good for up to 10 feet, how does it seem when you look further away?

pooltchr
05-14-2003, 11:36 AM
The point of the 10 foot lense is to give you the best possible vision of the pool table. When you are not shooting, you just switch to your regular glasses.

ceebee
05-15-2003, 08:36 AM
here's the real poop about prescriptions. The more powerful the prescription, the greater the arc of the grind. Ever the notice the thickness on the side of the lens? That's due to the severe arc of the grind. The greater the arc of the grind also determines the dime to nickel size area in the lens that you may look thru without refraction of the view... meaning what you see is not in the exact spot you are viewing. Take your glasses off & rotate them up & away... you will see the image grow narrow at the vertical center or horizontal center, depending on the direction of rotation.

Being near sighted can cause several things, besides not being able to focus at a distance. Your depth of perception is most times off too. You probably even have astigmatism too, meaning what you see isn't in that exact spot.

So now we try to correct our vision using spectacles, meaning we have MODIFIED what we are viewing. By obtaining a near view prescription, the lens grind will not be as severe as would have been. The less severe grind gives you a bigger picture window, maybe a nickel to a quarter instead of a nickel to a dime. And your depth perception won't be affected as much.

By altering the frames to sit higher on your nose, you won't have to disfugure your nose & eyebrows to make a long shot anymore. I have added another feature, above & beyond what the DeCot-Hy-Wyd frames give you, which IMO is the most important. I have bent the ear pieces, just back of the hinge, to rotate the frames into a normal viewing plane. It works... cb

MarkUrsel
05-15-2003, 09:04 AM
I much prefer contacts. I can't play pool at all with my glasses on.

RGP (Rigid Gas Permeable) lenses are great for pool, but a nuisance for pretty much anything where dust or dirt can blow into your eye.

Soft contacts are great for everything, but aren't quite as perfect at vision correction as RGP's, so the long shots can be a bit more challenging.

FWIW, that's my experience with it all.