PDA

View Full Version : small problem with my break

snook
05-13-2003, 03:47 PM
when im breaking nine ball from standard spot (side rail) i know im putting bottom on my ball, and when i hit the one ball in the face, its sucking back about a foot with obvious draw, then its shooting back forward to the head rail, my cue ball normally becomes airborn for about half a second after the break and was wondering if in the small time it was in the air it was actually spinning 180 degrees or something and thus turning my bottom english into top? i have no idea. im not making anything on the break very often but that doesnt bother me because im playin on a 10 foot snooker table with regulation size balls! but when i go to a bar box or any other my break is pretty constant then. any ideas?

UWPoolGod
05-13-2003, 04:48 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that you aren't actually putting a little draw on it, but on your follow thru are hitting high with follow. If you have draw on it it will jump (or not) and shoot back towards the breaking end, unless you hit it right and it stops after the bounce.

Todd

Rod
05-13-2003, 05:57 PM
snook, your dropping your lower arm or shoulder before the c/b is hit. That will make the tip rise. You don't want low or high, just center ball. If you do hit it with any low at that force it will draw back to the head end of the table. Just like it is following to the foot end now.
Try slowing down a tad to make exact center contact and beware of your elbow dropping.

Rod

snook
05-13-2003, 07:33 PM
thanks alot

bluewolf
05-13-2003, 11:38 PM
What is wrong with one tip low? I have been breaking that way. I do not usually get a ball in, but the balls split nicely and the cb goes to the center of the table unless an ob knowcks it somewhere else. LOL

I am 8 ball and shoot from the front.

Laura

bluewolf
05-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Disclaimer- Scott taught me the correct stroke and how to break without dropping my elbow. My break keeps getting better. At least the balls split.

I know I am a novice but this I have noticed and also on draw shots. I line up the ball I want to hit head on in the break and in the draw the object ball. In both cases, if I take my eyes oof the cb, what I thought was a low shot ends up being middle.

Someone mentioned to me that I might be looking up before the follow through. that is a possibility for you to consider too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Rod
05-13-2003, 11:59 PM
You just think your hitting it with a tip of low. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Since it stops near the center your hitting the c/b center. Either that or your break is soft and it draws back a little. My reference is a firm or hard hit, any low will draw back across the table and then some. Just because a person addresses the c/b with low does not mean they hit it with low! This is the original posters problem. On my break I do address fairly low, but I hit the c/b center. Mine is intentional.

Rod

Rod
05-14-2003, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if I take my eyes oof the cb, what I thought was a low shot ends up being middle.

<hr /></blockquote>

Very common, and not just from taking your eyes off the ball.

[ QUOTE ]
Someone mentioned to me that I might be looking up before the follow through. that is a possibility for you to consider too.

<hr /></blockquote>

You might be doing anything, LOL but that is a possibility for you to consider, not me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod

bluewolf
05-14-2003, 12:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> You just think your hitting it with a tip of low. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Since it stops near the center your hitting the c/b center. Either that or your break is soft and it draws back a little. My reference is a firm or hard hit, any low will draw back across the table and then some. Just because a person addresses the c/b with low does not mean they hit it with low! This is the original posters problem. On my break I do address fairly low, but I hit the c/b center. Mine is intentional.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe it looks like low but it is really centerball.I would call my break an accurate hit on the front ball, firm but so not hit real hard. If I try to hit too hard, I break worse. Anyway you are probalby right about the cb.

Laura

bluewolf
05-14-2003, 12:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> You might be doing anything, LOL but that is a possibility for you to consider, not me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Not directed at you. That would be dumb to direct that at you considering your skill.

Laura

Rod
05-14-2003, 12:29 AM
I'll tell you a story. I know a lady that says she hits with top or low etc. I told her much the same, if you hit low it will draw etc. After a short lesson she realized it was not hit with low. Another part to this is her tip was always flat (very little radius). I had reshaped her tip twice in two or three months. I told her if she hit with any top, bottom, or outside english it would not be flat! If someone rarely gets very far outside that will happen.

She draws and follows ok now and her tip has a more curved radius without me reshaping. LOL

bluewolf
05-14-2003, 03:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I'll tell you a story. I know a lady that says she hits with top or low etc. I told her much the same, if you hit low it will draw etc. After a short lesson she realized it was not hit with low. Another part to this is her tip was always flat (very little radius). I had reshaped her tip twice in two or three months. I told her if she hit with any top, bottom, or outside english it would not be flat! If someone rarely gets very far outside that will happen.

She draws and follows ok now and her tip has a more curved radius without me reshaping. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Rod. In my lesson with Scott, he showed up where true middle was and what was middle to us was really top. So I do sometimes fall into that optical illusion thing.

Laura