PDA

View Full Version : 8-ball rules dispute nightmare.

Cueless Joey
05-13-2003, 04:04 PM
A friend of mine invited me to play his friend some friendly game of Last Pocket 8-Ball.
Along the way I ran into two "rules".
First one was you can't pocket the 8-ball in the same last pocket as your opponent's. Never heard that before.
Second was, really pizzed me off, his friend made my last ball "accidentally" on one pocket after comboing it with his ball. The 8-ball was nowhere near that pocket. He claims I have to pocket the 8-ball to that pocket even though HE was the one who made my last ball.
I say, baloney. I can pocket the 8-ball anywhere.
I quit.
8-ball? Never again!

Barbara
05-13-2003, 04:23 PM
CJ,

[ QUOTE ]
First one was you can't pocket the 8-ball in the same last pocket as your opponent's. Never heard that before.
<hr /></blockquote>

This is true. I found this the hard way via an interpreter (no me recuerdo mucho de mi espanol!).

Howefer, if your last ball got pocketed by someone other than you, I believe you have choice of pockets, as long as it isn't in violation of the above revelation.

I'd check with Harold Acosta on this one - he's the last pocket 8-ball champ!

Barbara~~~likes last-pocket 8-ball...

Cueless Joey
05-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks Barbs.
I'll send Harold a Predator ferrule after he settles this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
05-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Some people at a local bar were playing this way one day when i put my quarter up. They were also playing the 1-15. Where the 1 and 15 have to be shot in a side pocket depending on which balls you have. Once one of the two balls (1 or 15) are pocketed in a side pocket, the other one has to be made the the cross side pocket.

All of this along with last pocket ball 8-ball. So if the last ball you have is the 1 or 15, you have to make them both in whichever side pocket is yours.

Long games for peoplr who can't play position and bang the balls around the table.

Todd

Barbara
05-13-2003, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Thanks Barbs.
I'll send Harold a Predator ferrule after he settles this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

"Barbs"??? "Barbs"??!!!

Kato, sic Joey!

Ooooooooooo!!!!!!

Barbara&lt;~~~not abreviated!!!

Kato
05-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Cueless, Cueless, Cueless. Joey, please don't call Barbara "Barb". She don't like that very much /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif. When I first started posting here 2 years ago or so I called her "Barb" (I have a cousin named that), I was corrected in an extremely stern way /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hopefully you don't meet the same fate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~just looking out.

jjinfla
05-13-2003, 07:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Some people at a local bar were playing this way one day when i put my quarter up...
Todd <hr /></blockquote>

Put your quarter up? How long ago was this? Ain't seen a quarter table in many moons. LOL Jake

Harold Acosta
05-13-2003, 09:56 PM
This is how we play it here in the Island

1. 8 ball cannot be pocketed in the same one as your opponent. If you drop your last ball in his/her pocket, your opponent is entitled to assign you any other pocket of his/her chosing. Before you pocket your last ball, you have to secure your shot and position the cue ball in a way to have a few alternatives of pocketing the eight ball to almost any possible pocket chosen. This is where your knowledge of kicks, banks, and the diamond system comes into play.

If your opponent pockets your last ball, you are entitled to choose any pocket, except if he/she has already a chosen pocket. Again, your knowledge of kicks, banks, and the diamond comes again into play.

Many pool players disregard playing last pocket 8 ball but when 2 good players are "at it", the game could be as exciting as watching anybody run a table in 9 ball. In this game you could show-off the skills you've learned in straight pool, one pocket, rotation, banking, and kicking. You most certainly should be able to run the 8 ball table. One miss and you are "out".

The game is not that much fun when you play with "bangers." Therefore, all good players will avoid as much as possible playing with them.

In Puerto Rico, there is sort of an "unwritten rule." You must be in the "same league" to be able to play in certain tables.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Harold Acosta
05-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Hey Barbara, thanks for your kind words!

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Harold Acosta
05-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Joey, please donate any "Predator Products" to Tom's CCB Tourney at the next US Open. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Harold ~ still owns a Lucasi L-10U with a matching Predator shaft!

Scott Lee
05-14-2003, 03:33 AM
Joey...LOL ROFL If you had mentioned that tonight at dinner, or when we were working on the table, I would have told you, those are both correct rules for last pocket 8-ball. Both players cannot have the same last pocket. If you make your last ball in my pocket, I choose your pocket (some places play it goes in the opposite corner). It's also true, that if your last ball goes in, even by accident, that becomes your last pocket for the eight!

I really enjoyed working with you again tonight! Your stroke has noticibly improved over a year ago! Thanks again for a good Thai dinner!

Scott

Barbara
05-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Harold,

I agree that "Last Pocket 8-ball" requires *just that much more skill* than regular 8-ball. It's a great game!!

In fact, I do believe I beat Scott Lee at one game of it when he was doing a show at Widener U. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara~~~Scott got beat by a gi-irl, Scott got beat by a gi-irl... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-14-2003, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Some people at a local bar were playing this way one day when i put my quarter up. They were also playing the 1-15. Where the 1 and 15 have to be shot in a side pocket depending on which balls you have. Once one of the two balls (1 or 15) are pocketed in a side pocket, the other one has to be made the the cross side pocket.

All of this along with last pocket ball 8-ball. So if the last ball you have is the 1 or 15, you have to make them both in whichever side pocket is yours.

<font color="blue">May as well throw "Bank the 8" in there for good measure /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, as Harold stated, if 2 good players are shooting and are familiar with the game it would be fun. But for most bar players it's just to give them a chance to actually fluke a win. IMO

Wally~~not a big fan of "Bank the 8" </font color>

Long games for peoplr who can't play position and bang the balls around the table.

Todd <hr /></blockquote>

UWPoolGod
05-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Put your quarter up? How long ago was this? Ain't seen a quarter table in many moons. LOL &lt;----- Jake

Out in the middle of nowhere by Mt. St. Helen's in southwest Washington. Most of the tables out there are a quarter still. When you get to Vancouver then it gets to .50. Seattle is minimum of .75, up to $1.

Quarter tables always make for good break pots, since if the winner takes his quarter and puts it toward the break pot it is not that bad.
Todd

UWPoolGod
05-14-2003, 09:22 AM
May as well throw "Bank the 8" in there for good measure &lt;--Wally

Yeah I know. That is all that it really does when you are playing weaker players, give them more chances. Which is fine, evens out the competition I guess.

Todd

05-14-2003, 09:42 AM
lol, if you really want to play a tuff eight ball game, try playing bank out last pocket.

here's how it's played, let say your last ball is the 5 and mine is the 10, if you shoot the 5 ball in the right corner pocket on the rack side of the table. then you have to bank the eight ball into that pocket, which means i start to pull out my one pocket game here.