PDA

View Full Version : Are Elephant Practice Balls Too Heavy?

TomBrooklyn
02-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Would you say that an elephant practice cue ball is heavier than a regular cue ball. Someone mentioned that to me, and it did feel heavier in my hand, but I can't be sure and I don't have an accurate enough scale to weigh it.

Tom

02-18-2002, 01:17 PM
LOL! Are elephant balls heavy? I'm just gonna have to let this one go. But the mind is reeling at the humourous possibilities for an answer! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

But to answer your question...

I don't know how heavy the elephant balls are. But realize that cueballs come in many different weights, too. I know of one poolhall around here that has no less than four different cueballs! A red circle, a red triangle, a blue circle, and some plain thing. The weights of each one are slightly different.

02-18-2002, 04:25 PM
I don't think so, in fact the cueball seems a little bit lighter to me.

02-18-2002, 08:47 PM
I had to work like hell to resolve this issue, not counting the zoo time. No two sets weigh the same, vary mostly with the size of the particular elephant. On the other hand, one of the elephants didn't co-operate until whacked upside the subject of this post, and the subsequent swelling may have created a minor ambiguity on that weighing. It is interesting to note that your basic elephant can attain an altitude of about four feet when struck properly.

TonyM
02-18-2002, 09:36 PM
The one that I weighed was bang on the same weight as the red triangle Aramith cueball. So no, I don't think that they are too heavy.
And I don't think we need another poll on this! Lol!

Tony

TomBrooklyn
02-19-2002, 04:36 PM
I asked the folks at Seybert's Supply who sell elephant balls about the weight of the practice cue ball. (I'm assuming the practice object ball is the same.)

Rick told me the elephant ball was 6 oz. and a regular blue circle cue ball was 5.8 oz.

Was 6 oz. the weight you came up with Tony? I'm trying to remember, was that you or JimS who posted some months ago with actual weights of various cue balls in grams?
http://www.louisville.edu/~jrallg01/Billiard.gif

Fred Agnir
02-21-2002, 10:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Would you say that an elephant practice cue ball is heavier than a regular cue ball

<hr></blockquote>

The original Elephant Practice Balls, I believe were made of a different material. Urethane of some sort rings a bell. So, they might feel different. Softer, I'd say. They switched to a new material that would replicate the hit of the phenolic balls in 1997 or so.

Tom Simpson, BCA Instructor and the developer of the Elephant Ball system, updated us on the material specification in 1997:

"The biggest news is we've changed to a new, proprietary material for the
balls products. It's excellent. Very shiny, very bright. No longer
scuffs. The balls are still held to our original rigid specs: 2-1/4"
diameter +/-.001", 5.8-5.9 ounces, round to within .001"..."

So, by inference, the Elephant Ball is slightly heavier than a "nominal" ball (5 3/4 oz). And of course, most cueballs will lose weight and size over time.

Fred &lt;~~~ has no elephant balls

TomBrooklyn
02-21-2002, 02:14 PM
I'd like to make a correction to what I posted above that Seybert Billiards told me. I was unable to edit the above as the current 6hr. time limit has expired.

Seyberts said the elephant practice ball weighed 5.8 oz. and a regular cueball weighed 6.0 oz.

This would corfirm what you report vis-a-vis the elephant ball Fred, although they reported a regular cueball to be a bit heavier than what you said.

I recall someone weighing various cue balls and reporting the weights on CCB in the range of 162-167 grams. However, my memory might be faulty on this. At 28.37 grams/oz this would equate to 5.71 - 5.89 oz or approximately 5 3/4 to almost 6 oz. Any confirmation or correction to this is welcome.

JimS
02-21-2002, 08:00 PM
I don't have an elephant ball to weigh but here are the weights of the cue balls I do have, according to my digital postal scale.

Red Circle = 167 grams. Blue Circle = 169 grams, cheap unmarked cue ball that came with an inexpensive set of Airimith balls = 166 grams.

Regards, JimS