PDA

View Full Version : Questions from Beginner

05-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Hello - I'm getting ready to have a table installed in my rec room and I'm now in need of accessories. I'm hoping to get some answers to the following:

(1) Good websites to order accessories (e.g., pool light, balls, cues, etc.)

(2) Make and model of a good pool cue that's high quality, but not too expensive (ie., $75 - $150 range). Any recommendations on best weight or is that truly a personal choice?

(3) Good pool balls. Maybe not the most expensive, but ones of high quality that will last for many years.

Thanks to all in advance for your help. Steve

Kato
05-13-2003, 07:32 PM
There are many good websites for ordering cues. Hawleys.com I have had good sucess with.

Good cue, try Mali.

Balls. Go with Cenntenial or Super Aramith. Expensive but well worth it.

Kato

WaltVA
05-13-2003, 07:41 PM
www.billiardsexpress.com (http://www.billiardsexpress.com) has always been good to deal with in my experience. They handle lights, balls, accessories and cues. Good luck on the new table - enjoy!

Walt in VA

05-13-2003, 08:51 PM
I also recommend:

Mueller's: http://www.poolndarts.com

Billiard Fanatic: http://www.billiardfanatic.com

IMO, you shouldn't scrimp on the balls if you can help it. Aramith Super Pro or Brunswick Centennials are the top of the line and will play best and last the longest. Shop around to find Centennials in the $185 range and Super Pro's in the $140 range. I think Billiard's Express used to sell factory "seconds" Centennials for like $150 a set, I don't know if they still do.

WaltVA
05-13-2003, 09:46 PM
Just checked the website - Billiards Express has Aramith Super Pros on sale for $127.50.

I'd agree 100% with the "don't scrimp on the balls" advice. We have Super Pros for 2 barboxes in a private club that has a lot of league play, and they look and play like new after 3 years of use. The cheap ones before lost their finish quickly and wouldn't clean up after that.

Walt in VA

bluewolf
05-13-2003, 11:33 PM
We got the cheaper aramith balls with our table. Then they chipped and we took them back and got the next better aramith balls. In about a year, they started chipping too so we got the top aramith balls, forget what they are called but they cost about $130. I think they are equivalent to brunswick centennials, just that the brunswick is a little nicer looking. Some folks like that nicer look if they entertain a lot or have their table in a place where they want it to match their furniture <G>

Not too sure about good cues in your price range. I got a cue from Blackheart, who makes custom cues, because he just happened to have a cheaper one laying around. Since it hits great I got a good deal. My other cue is a predator sneaky pete, which shoots good too, but cost $276 at poolndarts.com.

As far as the cheaper cues, I would look for something that is recommended here and has a reputation for the shaft not warping.

The billiard supply places sell lights, pool chairs, decor and everything. Just think the lights will cost more than the cue.

Everyone has their priorities, to me a good hitting cue is mine, whatever the cost may be.

Also, i know a guy who upgraded his cue and has a low end viking he is trying to sell. If you check around the pool halls in your areas, you might be able to find a deal that way.

Laura