PDA

View Full Version : Greenleaf Stories

L.S. Dennis
05-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Here's a little article of Ralph Greenleaf that I came across in an old Billiard Digest issue today;.

"It's certainly no secret that the late great Ralph Greenleaf led a cavalier life. Stories abound about Greenleaf's wild off-table exploits- but few poiple know about the sir the former world champion and his manager, George Worden, caused when Greenleaf was just 19 years old.

Greenleaf made plenty of headlines during gis youth, but in this instance it was a run-in with the law that earned the cue star front-page status.

He was held on suspicion of murder.
It happened agter an exhibition in Bridgeport, Comm. On Nov. 1, 1919 Greeleaf, practicing for the upconing world tournament, was arrested as he was leaving a Bridgeport poolroom. Both he and his manager were dtained so that the coroner could question them concerning the death of Benjamin Binkowitz, a Wall Street bank messenger who diappeard the previous August with $170,000 worth of bonds. Binkowitz' body was later found in Milford, but the bonds were never recovered.

Greenleaf and Worden were quizzed as to their whereabouts at the time of the missenger's disappearance. In all, 11 people were in connection with the crime.l The coroner would not release any information as to the reason Greenleaf was singled out and detained.

Both Greenleaf and Worden were soon released with Greenleaf being allowed to continue his tour. He was never again questioned in connection with the crime.

Obviously the reported for more than a week in the Philadelphia Inquirer,The Newark Star Ledger and the New York Times, did not distract Greenleaf for long. Just one month after his detainment, he won his first pocket billiard championship at the Park Building in Philadelphia.

Greenleaf went on to dominate the next decade in pocket billiards, taking his place alongside Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, Red Grange and Bill Tilden, and enjoying the 1920's headlines just as much. At his peak, Greenleaf made more than $2000. a week giving exhibitions."

Hopster
05-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Damm, $2000 a week during the twenties !! I wonder that would translate into in todays money ?
As far as the murder beef, they probably questioned anyone who was seen in contact with the guy before he got killed. Was probably seen talking to Greenleaf about the matches or something and some Sherlock holmes decided to drag Ralph in for questionging figuring he would get his own name in the papers. Cops, all the same. lol

L.S. Dennis
05-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Hopster,

I think you make excellent points I think a got to agree with you. $2000. a week back then, simply unbelievable!

How are things at the BCA open?

Hopster
05-14-2003, 10:09 AM
I havent had a chance to get down there yet but im heading there tonight after work and hopefully tomorrow. My buddy has been hanging out down there and says theres been a great crowd.