PDA

View Full Version : New poolhall in town

stickman
05-13-2003, 11:31 PM
We've needed one for a long time. It's not the greatest, but it will work. It has a clean clientel, and with the management, I feel sure it will stay that way. The tables are clean and in good condition, the balls are clean, the help is clean and polite. There are only 6 tables, three Valley 7 footers, one 6 footer?, one 8 foot regulation, and a 10 foot snooker table (my favorite). There is another old rundown poolhall in town, that I wouldn't go to on a bet, and the only other place to play is in the bars on substandard tables, or risking your well being due to the patrons. I'm in hog heaven. You'd have to live in Hicksville, like me, to appreciate it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hopster
05-13-2003, 11:45 PM
Good for you Stickman, i hope it lasts and does a good business. I wish i could get one a little closer to my side of town. Like you we got one not that far away but in my opinion, its a toilet and i only go there rarely and only when a buddy of mine is going to go. Equiptment stinks, a lot of kids and those godamm jukeboxes, i hate them with a passion.
Anyway, enjoy.

Rod
05-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Good for you, glad to see someone put the heat on the other dump. LOL I hope it stays that way. Who knows they might expand if there is room?

Rod

stickman
05-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Rod. There's not a whole lot of room for expansion. I suspect the 6 footer will be the first thing to change. Another 7 footer would be much more sensible considering that there will be tournaments held there on 7 foot tables. I bet the 6 footer will be the last table most people will want to play on, if there is any choice. The other place? They could close anytime, but I don't think the new hall owner wants any of their business, if you know what I mean. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brent
05-14-2003, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> . There are only 6 tables, three Valley 7 footers, one 6 footer?, one 8 foot regulation, and a 10 foot snooker table (my favorite). <hr /></blockquote>

Hmm..Id now like to ask what the hell is going on over there ? I mean over the seas. I live in estonia (most of u even dont know where that is) and even I wouldnt call the thing u described, a poolhall. Id call it a dump /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I always thaught u guys only had 9 foot tables and pool-rooms with atleast 10 tables. Guess I was wrong. Well if thats the best place u got around u Stickman then I feel a little sorry for u /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Take care.

05-14-2003, 10:00 AM
we got a new ph here a few months ago, it's called buffalo billiards nice brunswick tables and great people. but am just not for the drinking, they have a bar their, they food bar all ph's need but the bar can go drinking and pool are as bad as drinking &amp; driving. other than that great place and has free pool on sat &amp; sun from 2pm-6pm

stickman
05-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I admit that many people that live in the bigger cities, have no appreciation for what they have available to them. If you ever get over to the States, I could show you some real dumps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif In my part of the country, you have to be a real pool fanatic to venture into some of these places. There is a nice place about an hour's drive away. It is an old converted grocery store, turned into a billiards hall/sports bar. It has probably a dozen or more tvs scattered around the establishment, electronic darts, a restuarant, electronic trivia games, and I'm guessing that there are 35 or more tables, including 7 foot bar tables, 9 foot tables, snooker tables, and one or more of those funny tables without any pockets. It's a very clean, nice place that is well managed, but on my budget, I can't afford to travel there frequently. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

05-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Stickman,

Never mind the snobs ... here's a vote for smalltown pool halls. Hey, I'd feel privileged to play on those tables in Sam the Lion's place in "Last Picture Show."

Other places I can remember as classics would be a place in Columbia, Mo., Booche's, an old-fashioned bar/grill that has a billiard table, 2 snooker tables and maybe 4 other nine-footers ... and also a place a couple steps down from the town square in Gainesville, Tenn., which looked like a roomier version of where Paul Newman got his thumbs broken.

Just stumbled on another smalltown oasis this weekend while on vacation in Bisbee, Ariz. ... great old bar with high tin ceilings and two perfectly maintained 9-foot Olhausens, with time costing a quarter of what you might pay in NYC. Had to forgive em for the red cloth.

05-14-2003, 03:17 PM
er, that's Gainesboro, Tenn. ... for any of you heading toward the Cumberland Plateau.

Anybody else have favorite off-the-beaten-track joints?

Rod
05-14-2003, 04:44 PM
I know where it is. There was a recent scam that someone pulled off from your $hitty little country. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I guess you'd have to experience some pool rooms in rural america. Granted it is small but from what I've heard it's a palace compared to the other room. LOL I've played in many old rooms in the US. Most were some what larger but just having a room in a small town is great.

Brent, What is the population of the city you live in? Come to think of it what city do you live in. Estonia is a little smaller than Ohio!

Rod

snipershot
05-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Good for you Stickman, it may not be the best but it's better than what alot of people have. The closest poolhall to me is a 45 minute drive away, fortunately there is a bar 5 minutes away with pretty good equipment and the people are all really nice.

SecaucusFats
05-15-2003, 12:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> . There are only 6 tables, three Valley 7 footers, one 6 footer?, one 8 foot regulation, and a 10 foot snooker table (my favorite). [/quo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmm..Id now like to ask what the hell is going on over there ? I mean over the seas. I live in estonia (most of u even dont know where that is) and even I wouldnt call the thing u described, a poolhall. Id call it a dump /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I always thaught u guys only had 9 foot tables and pool-rooms with atleast 10 tables. Guess I was wrong. Well if thats the best place u got around u Stickman then I feel a little sorry for u /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Take care. <hr /></blockquote>

I can take a five minute walk to my favorite pool hall: twenty-four 9 ft Gold Crowns, nice bar, good food / drink, and very nice people. Yet in many parts of this country there is no such thing as a 'pool hall', the closest thing is a bar table over at the Dew Drop Inn or something.

Some towns have very severe restrictions on pool halls, I don't know if that's the case in Stickman's home town. But in any case, some kind of pool hall is better than none, and I'm happy for Stickman.

BTW... Estonia former satellite of the now defunct USSR, one of the Baltic States along with Latvia, and Lithuania. Capital : Tallin, population: approx half a million. Land 10% Urban, 40% farmland, 30% forest, 20% swamps. Religion 80% Lutheran. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fats &lt; They'll Estonia when you're walking down the street... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brent
05-15-2003, 03:06 AM
Yay u have heard of it..or maybe u just searched the internet not to look dummies /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway I live in Tallinn ( the capital) and the population is about 0.5 million.

cheesemouse
05-15-2003, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> . There are only 6 tables, three Valley 7 footers, one 6 footer?, one 8 foot regulation, and a 10 foot snooker table (my favorite). [/quo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hmm..Id now like to ask what the hell is going on over there ? I mean over the seas. I live in estonia (most of u even dont know where that is) and even I wouldnt call the thing u described, a poolhall. Id call it a dump /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I always thaught u guys only had 9 foot tables and pool-rooms with atleast 10 tables. Guess I was wrong. Well if thats the best place u got around u Stickman then I feel a little sorry for u /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Take care. <hr /></blockquote>

I can take a five minute walk to my favorite pool hall: twenty-four 9 ft Gold Crowns, nice bar, good food / drink, and very nice people. Yet in many parts of this country there is no such thing as a 'pool hall', the closest thing is a bar table over at the Dew Drop Inn or something.

Some towns have very severe restrictions on pool halls, I don't know if that's the case in Stickman's home town. But in any case, some kind of pool hall is better than none, and I'm happy for Stickman.

BTW... Estonia former satellite of the now defunct USSR, one of the Baltic States along with Latvia, and Lithuania. Capital : Tallin, population: approx half a million. Land 10% Urban, 40% farmland, 30% forest, 20% swamps. Religion 80% Lutheran. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fats &lt; They'll Estonia when you're walking down the street... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Back in the 40's and early 50's nearly every small town would have 'the poolhall' . By small town I mean 1,000 to 3,000 people and towns with populations up to 10&gt;15K would have numerious little halls. I would venture to say that by the mid 60's they had all closed down. When I was a little kid and too young to go into p/h's there were four active five or six table p/h's in the town of 15K where I grew up; they were all closed by 1965.
The economics of this day and age are not condusive for little poolhalls reappearing in small towns as even a small nice little place requires a 4,000 square foot facility. The heating/cooling and the meeting of building codes plus jumping the hurdles of local ordinances against hours of operation and restrictive liguor/food service laws make it close to impossible make them good business sense. Banks won't loan money on such a business plan in a area where there aren't enough warm bodies to support the business. Even poolhalls in larger metro areas of the country are eccentually food and beverage operations and the pool tables are just the hook to get units(bodies) in the building where they will consume food and drink. The best poolhalls in this country could not keep their doors open on table time alone. Once you go beyond the simple operation of a place where the accent is just pool you enter the labor intensive food/beverage business which has one of highest failure of any one could choice. The catch 22 is: it's just as expensive to operate in rural America as it is in Metro America but in rural areas the bodies just don't exist...I have researched this pretty closely as I would love to open a 'good old poolhall' but the numbers just don't wash...it ain't going to happen.