PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck!

CrispyFish
05-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Last night was a classic in my book. I'm a strong APA 5 and was playing an APA 3. I had to win 4, him 2. I won the first two just fine. My aim was as good as it's ever been, I was making tough cuts and giving myself good leave. Came close to running the table on the first game.

Then... game 3... tragedy struck. Left myself just a little behind my opponent's ball, so I chose to elevate and jump to cut my ball in the side. The cue ball MISSED my ball completely, and...!

START(
%AJ6M4%Bl9U3%C^3E4%DR4J2%EM9T0%Fj4I7%GE5N0%Hp9H0%K[2T7%PP3E3
%Wb9[0%XP9F3%]o4J2%^c4[6
)END

Okay, that's fine, and somewhat amusing -- just as long as he doesn't make the 8 on his break, I can still win 2 more. He doesn't make the 8, and I'm on good track to win. I play a sly safe to get ball in hand and break up my problem cluster, and run from there to the 8. Except I don't get quite enough draw and...

START(
%AJ4U5%HY9T9%Km3T0%M`1F0%Nk8G0%PQ1L3%Ur3Z4%Vl2U0%W Y0S3%XQ8M3
%]j9T5%^Y9S8
)END

I lost the match on two 8-ball fouls! Aaaaaaaah! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

05-14-2003, 09:47 AM
damn, all you had to do was just put a lil draw on the cue ball so that it rolls back to the center of the table and you win. you should have taken time to read the TL. ahh well you've live to learn another day! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

CrispyFish
05-14-2003, 09:49 AM
And please ignore the accidental 1-ball in the second diagram. It wasn't there last night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CrispyFish
05-14-2003, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr> damn, all you had to do was just put a lil draw on the cue ball so that it rolls back to the center of the table and you win. you should have taken time to read the TL. ahh well you've live to learn another day! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I took my time, believe me. I knew I had to put draw, but I also didn't want to hit it hard and risk scratching in another pocket. So I hit it very low, but just a *little* too soft... the draw was gone by the time it hit the 8.

05-14-2003, 09:53 AM
on shot's like that i always complete my stroke. stroke complete throught but not to firmly, i bet next time you wont miss that shot.

CrispyFish
05-14-2003, 10:01 AM
It was cue speed, not follow-through. I'm sure I could have hit it about 100% harder to get the draw without any danger of scratching in other pockets.

*sigh*

Like you said, you live and learn.

bluewolf
05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Last night was a classic in my book. I'm a strong APA 5 and was playing an APA 3. I had to win 4, him 2. I won the first two just fine. My aim was as good as it's ever been, I was making tough cuts and giving myself good leave. Came close to running the table on the first game.

Then... game 3... tragedy struck. <hr /></blockquote>

There was this real strong four. It was the playoffs,session before the one we just finished, and I was put on him as a dump, because I was a two.They did not want to waste their four and good three on this guy because ww told them they could not beat him, and our five had already played. My husband (WW) told me he was the best four in the league,a scratch golfer and very talented.

There is no way I could put up wei because within a couple of shots into the match, I must have gone into some weird state. It was like scuba diving and coming up for air at the end of each game so just roughly know how the games went.

All went to the wire, the first three. In the third I missed a hit on a long cut on the eight. This gave him bih and 3-0.

In the fourth game he raced ahead and I still had 3-4 balls left when he shot the eight, he scratched. That made it 3-1. In the last game, all i know was I ran all my balls down to the eight in low innings (was told later that i sank one, then 6 in a row)and then missed on a long bank on the 8. He had the long cut, same one almost exact i had missed and he missed. I had bih and the match.

Same race 4-2. I am just a 2. I usually just get in 3-4 balls at a time usually at the end of the game. I cannot runout and I know it. That is why I play safe to get that 3-4 ball run at the end.

A fluke? I guess anything can happen in a ?-2 race.

Same night. We had this seven on another team who is probably in the top 3 sevens. I had a friend that fluctuated between 3 and 4. He beat this seven because the seven scratched twice.

Poop happens.

Laura