PDA

View Full Version : vegas halfway point report - (long)

SPetty
05-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Friday night, Julie, our cruise director (O.K., it was really Eric.) gathered together himself, Mr. Ingrate, Fred Agnir, Rip and SPetty, plus Fred's quiet friend Rob (maybe Rod?) and took us all across the street to Circus Circus Steakhouse for some really good food and mostly fun conversation. CarolNYC found us just before we left the Riv, so we all got our Carol hug fixes. (That would not have been a good time for me to take that "how gay are you" test that you guys talk about on the other board... hahaha)

Then we all played pool for days and days. Eric. got unlucky draws and was knocked out earlier than others - Fred stuck it out and really did very well. Mr. Ingrate, in spite of being quite worried about his rather ill spouse, surprised himself and finished very well as well. He and randyg both finished well into the money in the senior event. CarolNYC didn't enter the women's open because she was on the alternate list for the pro event, although she wasn't needed this time.

I learned (not really the hard way) the importance of winning right off the bat. I won my first match to a woman who was just like me last year - her first year here and having fun. I thought her first lesson here should be an introduction to the loser's bracket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif hahaha My second match win was especially nice because I was able to beat the woman who's scotch doubles team knocked out my scotch doubles team. Payback's a bitch, eh?

Winning your first two matches is an automatic "in the money" finish. Last year, I lost a match, won two then lost the last one and never even came close to seeing "the money". I not only got "in the money", I got to the second round of money. Cuechick made it one past me - the same girl that knocked me out knocked her out. Rip overheard the girl that knocked me out say that I was her toughest opponent yet... I sure didn't make it easy for her!

Fred bought at least one new cue and a new cue case, and made a small fortune side-betting on Bobby Pickle on the challenge table; Rob (maybe Rod?) talked a cue dealer (Joe Salazar) down for me on a Schon cue I found quite attractive (although I still can't see myself paying that much for a cue...) I found a new cue holder device that works on the round poles out here.

It sure started getting real crowded here at the Riviera yesterday afternoon as all the teams started arriving. I've heard that Scott Lee should be showing up on Thursday...

Spiderman, Eric. (aka "James, the driver" because I can't spell chouffeuer) (btw thanks for the ride, Eric.), SPetty and another friend Tom all went to the Rio seafood buffet together last night. Man, that's a feast! Talisman's Big Jeff backed out because he's not a seafood fan. (He still owes me some tips.)

I haven't been downstairs today yet to see who won the singles events. My favorite female master player, Terri Kelly, formerly from Florida and now from Texas and winner of last year's Vegas women's open, was knocked to the loser's bracket by Jeanne Seaver from Florida, and as I went to bed last night, Terri was in the "can't finish less than third place" position, waiting for the winner of another match that was still being finished.

Team events start today. I'm on a strong women's open team from Texas - Orietta (if you've heard of her, you'll recognize the name) is our captain, a strong master level player - then we have Susan Bishop, who I have recently learned is a former WPBA pro, plus two other very strong women - one recently spanked me like a red-headed step-child 4-0 in a singles event in Dallas. Then there's Michelle (from Hawley's) and I - we're considered "warm bodies" for this team event - the last time I heard the plan it was to swap Michelle and I in and out just to let us play...

Again I notice: It is amazing to me that actors and movie stars can't go out in public ever again in their entire lives, while professional pool players walk among us pool players virtually anonymously. I don't know diddly squat about the pro players, but at least I can recognize some of them. Most people around these parts at this time of year are pool players - yet the pros walk among us without fear of being recognized. No one stares, no one points, no one turns around to watch them walk past...

And, speaking of not knowing these people, there was a Mr. Salvas (Luc?) that I watched play in the pro tournament without the benefit of having the completely totally knowledgeable Rip by my side. So I don't know him or his story - but man, I couldn't breathe watching that guy play pool. I watched him do a break and run in what must have been 15 seconds! I don't think I took a breath the whole time. After the break, he pocketed his first ball before the seven ball even stopped spinning! (foul?) He waited impatiently for the cue ball to stop rolling while setting up his next shot.

Having fun! Planning to have more fun! Pool is fun! But I guess you guys know that, eh?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-14-2003, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>..CarolNYC found us just before we left the Riv, so we all got our Carol hug fixes. (That would not have been a good time for me to take that "how gay are you" test...

<font color="blue">Well it is Sin City if that makes you feel better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

...I not only got "in the money", I got to the second round of money. Cuechick made it one past me - the same girl that knocked me out knocked her out. Rip overheard the girl that knocked me out say that I was her toughest opponent yet... I sure didn't make it easy for her!

<font color="blue">Conratulations on your improved play. You're the one that claimed she couldn't make a ball a few months ago. Hmmmm..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

Fred bought at least one new cue and a new cue case,

<font color="blue">There's a shock </font color>

Team events start today. I'm on a strong women's open team from Texas - ...

<font color="blue">Good luck. </font color>

...there was a Mr. Salvas (Luc?) that I watched play in the pro tournament without the benefit of having the completely totally knowledgeable Rip by my side. So I don't know him or his story - but man, I couldn't breathe watching that guy play pool. ...

<font color="blue">He's played in the Challenge of Champions before on ESPN. They call him Luc "Machine Gun" Salvas. </font color>

Having fun! Planning to have more fun! Pool is fun! But I guess you guys know that, eh?

<font color="red">Have some fun for me while you're at it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

<font color="blue">Wally~~having fun at the Hamiltucky APA tourney /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Tom_In_Cincy
05-14-2003, 12:14 PM
SPetty,
Great post.. making me jealous of not being there..

Tell everyone I said hi.. and good luck.. (if they need any)

9 Ball Girl
05-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Susan, great post! I am so there next year! And, hey, have a tequila shot for me, will ya? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

pooljunkie73
05-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Luc Salvas is from Quebec,Canada.He's about the fastest player you will ever see!He ran out a race to 7 in about 5 min. flat /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

HalSmith
05-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Petty, was that a new Shon you bought from Joe or a used one. If it was used , what did it look like?

Barbara
05-14-2003, 03:32 PM
SPetty,

What's wrong with Mr. Ingrate's wonderful wife??

Barbara~~~misses all youse guys out there...

Vagabond
05-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Howdy Texan,.
I am glad to hear that u are having good time.Orietta should have joined pro tour long time ago.I do not know why she keeps playing in Amateur events year after year.By the way Luc Salvas has slowed down now( by taking aiming strokes)I told luc one time that his game went down after he started playing slow.Have heeps of fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
05-14-2003, 08:01 PM
I saw Orietta play in the pro stop in Dallas a few years ago, so I imagine she isn't finishing well when she hits that venue. It's a mental game ya know...sid

Fred Agnir
05-15-2003, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> SPetty,

What's wrong with Mr. Ingrate's wonderful wife??<hr /></blockquote>Apparently, this week at Vegas was their high for all of the major allergens. Her sinusitis raised to antibiotic levels.

Fred &lt;~~~ just a hair under the antibiotic level

Fred Agnir
05-15-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Fred stuck it out and really did very well.<hr /></blockquote>I ended up in the 257-? spot, for $200. One spot short of last year. Every player I played was an excellent player (an SL-7, if they played APA 8-ball), and just like last year, all but one had a B&amp;R on me. I'll report on the table play on another post.

[ QUOTE ]
Fred bought at least one new cue and a new cue case,<hr /></blockquote>I upgraded my 2/4 Chestnut Instroke for a multi-tone 2/4 Saddle Series. It's sort of cranberry and light brown, but the colors change dramatically depending on the light and the drinks. Don't let the picture on the Instroke site deceive you. The Saddle Series is, IMO, they're best aesthetic offering as each one is unique, left only to the experimentation of the particular builder. I'll post a picture at some point.

I "picked up" a FURY cue. I'll do a review.

[ QUOTE ]
and made a small fortune side-betting on Bobby Pickle on the challenge table;<hr /></blockquote> This year, I got in on the Pickle show rather than just watch it. The window was closed last year. I'll do a separate post on that as well.

Fred &lt;~~~ owes several separate posts

Eric.
05-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Morning! Just got up, bright and early at the crack of Noon (Spidey and I were at the Cue Club til sunrise)

I wish I could use the "unlucky draw" excuse /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Truth of the matter, I got out of it, what I put into it; (party til sunrise). Hell, I was having fun though and you have to make choices...

I read Fred's post on Bobby Pickle, so I'll wait til I'm back from Vegas, then I'll add to it. Basically, I was talking to Kid Delicious and he had a chance to "meet" Bobby /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, got my 3 1/2 hrs of sleep, time to head out again...

Eric

SPetty
05-16-2003, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> SPetty, was that a new Shon you bought from Joe or a used one. If it was used , what did it look like? <hr /></blockquote>Hi HalSmith,

It's a used Schon Elite - they say that means there's only three of them. I didn't buy it, but I stop every day and look at it. It's uniqueness is from the gray stain on the main wood part - plus it has my favorite cue inlay of abalone in several diamond shapes around it. Sorry I can't describe it further - I'm a novice and all cues look alike to me! hahaha

SPetty
05-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Bronchitis is what they called it. She was up and about yesterday and feeling much better.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> SPetty,

What's wrong with Mr. Ingrate's wonderful wife??<hr /></blockquote>Apparently, this week at Vegas was their high for all of the major allergens. Her sinusitis raised to antibiotic levels.

Fred &lt;~~~ just a hair under the antibiotic level <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
05-16-2003, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">Conratulations on your improved play. You're the one that claimed she couldn't make a ball a few months ago. Hmmmm..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

Team events start today. I'm on a strong women's open team from Texas - ...

<font color="blue">Good luck. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>Hi Wally_in_Cincy,

C'mon Wally - I am horrified /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif that you obviously have me confused with someone else. I didn't say I couldn't make a ball, I said I can't aim. Big difference!!! I still have trouble with that aiming thing, but taking the hint from all you good pool players, have learned to pocket some balls by "rote" rather than by aim. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for team events, we've won three matches in a row now. We're on the "big board" and looking to take the whole thing! Our 8 a.m. match this morning was brutal, but we pulled it out. We play again later today. WooHoo!

HalSmith
05-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. Nope it's not the one I trade to Joe. Mine was a real nice entry level Shon and I upgraded to one with more ivory. But ,you never know till you ask. Have a good day.---Smitty

Rod
05-16-2003, 04:40 PM
SPetty,
Glad to hear your doing well! Kind of nice to be under the lights. Annnnnnnnd Good Luck!

Rod

PS go buy that cue, you'll hate your self if you don't. BTW it sounds similar to mine, except mine has a brownish stain.

Rip
05-16-2003, 05:21 PM
I agree Rod! It seems like the perfect way to spend your tournament winnings SPetty!!
It's a nice looking cue and it would look great in SPetty's new case /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Rip~~isn't it odd how easy it is to spend other people's money?

Rod
05-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi ya Rip,

No problem here I can spend their money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Heck she will have money left over after the big shoot out. That cue needs a nice home, it would be happy on either of her tables! Probably clear up that slight aiming problem too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod