PDA

View Full Version : What's up with this, RandyG. BCA question.

Chris Cass
03-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi Randy,
I got a question for ya. When I was waitng to play a match. These guy's played a race to 5 eight ball and was taking forever. I questioned the TD and he told me the BCA rules state something to the effect that the only time a shot clock can be put on a player is if the opponent requests it.

So, these guys took 2hrs. Both players were sooo slow, the TD was at their mercy. Were talking a race to 5 chess game. Why isn't there a rule for players slowing the matches down, screwing up the tourney time format?

Regards,
C.C.

03-26-2002, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> I questioned the TD and he told me the BCA rules state something to the effect that the only time a shot clock can be put on a player is if the opponent requests it.
Regards,
C.C. <hr></blockquote>

yet another t.d. who needs to learn the rules. dead wrong. bca 1.11 (slow play) could not be more clear: "if in the opinion of the referee a player is impeding the progress of the tournament..." then the ref first does a warning then can put both players on the clock.

one of the most important functions of the t.d. is to keep the tourn moving by whatever means.

dan

Chris Cass
03-26-2002, 01:39 PM
WOW, Thanks Dan. I'll be sure to let him know the deal.
Regards,
C.C.

PoolFan
03-26-2002, 01:43 PM
I couldn't agree more with Dan. One of the major duties of the tournament director is to keep the tournament on pace. If a match is slow due to one or both players, it is the TD's responsibility to address it.

There is absolutely no reason for slow play. Being deliberate is one thing, but an 8-ball match, race to five, should not even come close to two hours. It should be more like 45-60 minutes.

03-26-2002, 02:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> WOW, Thanks Dan. I'll be sure to let him know the deal.
Regards,
C.C. <hr></blockquote>

glad to help. dipping in to these issues on the net keeps me sharp for when it comes up later. you might want to go to the bca site and print out the rules. not that long.

one reason some t.d.s don't like to use the rule is that they then have to "ride the match", keeping and calling time. it is a real pain. usually, just the warning gets things moving.

i know that in the wpba they use an informal guide. if the match has not finished x-number of games in y-time they get pushed. using some kind of formula like that helps put down claims of unfair application of the rule.

dan

Troy
03-26-2002, 03:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>
glad to help. dipping in to these issues on the net keeps me sharp for when it comes up later. you might want to go to the bca site and print out the rules. not that long.

one reason some t.d.s don't like to use the rule is that they then have to "ride the match", keeping and calling time. it is a real pain. usually, just the warning gets things moving.

i know that in the wpba they use an informal guide. if the match has not finished x-number of games in y-time they get pushed. using some kind of formula like that helps put down claims of unfair application of the rule.

dan <hr></blockquote>

Having the rules handy is a good idea, but when I look at BCA-POOL.Com for the rules I do not get anything prior to 3.1 under General Rules. I can't locate sections 1 or 2...

Troy

03-26-2002, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr>when I look at BCA-POOL.Com for the rules I do not get anything prior to 3.1 under General Rules. I can't locate sections 1 or 2...

Troy <hr></blockquote>

well, isn't that a crock. the 1. series are tourney rules and the 2. series is rules for referees. ya gotta have those. i guess that's their way of driving you into buying the book. pretty crummy if you ask me.

dan

03-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Houston Dan said it all...right.......randyg