PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Holiday ?

Hopster
05-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy Johnny Holiday ? I used to have a book by him called continous high runs, i dont know what happened to it but i saw it online and i never really heard of the guy. Anyone know anything about him / Was he a champ at one time or what ?

Popcorn
05-14-2003, 06:09 PM
.He may have played in some tournaments I don't know. He was more a student of the game and had a analytical approach. I met him a number of times in I think it was West Palm Beach when he was living there. He could really play. It was just a hobby to him though. The guy that knows the most about him is a guy named Danny Christian, (I knew him before he changed his name). Danny played with Johnny a lot and I believe bought the rights to his books.

Hopster
05-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks Popcorn. I tell you, the more i play the game the more i learn about things that i always did and shouldnt have done like going into balls needlesly just to break them up. Ive seen by doing that all i do is create more problems by tying them up with different balls and whatnot.
I learned an awful lot from Jimmy rempes tapes. Good instructionals and i met him and spoke to him about it yesterday, nice guy.
I may pick up that book again if i cant find my old copy.

L.S. Dennis
05-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Hopster,

This is from one of his books entitled: "Position Play For High Runs" (which was thought to be the "mystery book" that Fast Larry would not reveal to us). He later said that it wasn't the book anyway.

John D'Amato (Holiday) was born Feb 26 1909 in New York. At the age of 15 Johnny became interested in pocket billiards and soon began to understand the vital importance of Position Play.

His Hi-Run of 243 still stands as an outstanding display of his ability to handle any situation on a billiard table and to execute it well.

There's more but you get the idea. I do like his books, especially this little on from which I just quoted. They're great instructional tools to be sure!

Hopster
05-15-2003, 03:53 AM
I didnt know the guy was that old. 243, huh ? Not too shabby but when you think about it, the guy was around when all the greats were playing the game so he had the best in the world to watch. Who the hell plays straight pool like those guys used to ?
I got to hunt for that book, i know i got it somewhere.

Aboo
05-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Guys who are that old! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Man, there are two old men that play straight in a pool hall I frequent twice a month. I don't think they ever leave. They play on a huge (to me) snooker table up near the front counter. In the past two months they've been in there, playing each other, different groups watching every time.
It is amazing watching them think and play. Very very educational /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Candyman
05-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I'm getting a little self conscious when you guys talk about old men. I would prefer seasoned, cooked, used and abused, had-it, lucky. Anything. I would have kept better care of myself if I new I would live this long. I can't play a lick, but if you aren't more respectful of your elders, I might get my little 82 year old buddy and show up at the CCB tourny and show you what old can do. I believe you are from the "show me state". /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hopster
05-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Aboo,You should try to get a game with one of them sometime and see what getting locked up in safety play is like.Them old guys got some moves. lol

Aboo
05-16-2003, 09:07 AM
LOL, man, I am not in their league, not in straight pool and probably not in anything else.
I love straight pool, but just seeing how efficiently they combo balls through the rack... *shakes head* it's beautiful to watch /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Candyman, I meant NO disrespect to any old-timers that play our beloved game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif This sport is one of the few that the longer you play it, the better you get. I respect you, but I'm not scared of you /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I do live in the show me state. KC, MO. If your ever in my neck of the woods, I'd love to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not CCB tourny material though /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif To far away for me, and my girl would take issue with me leaving for a weekend just to play pool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooltchr
05-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Whenever I am in a strange city, I usually try to find a good pool room. Always look for the oldest guys in there. They are usually the best around. In the PH where I play, I am probably the second best one pocket player there. The best is an 80 year old gentleman that will spot me 3 balls and the break, and usually still get my money. I learn more from that guy.......

Jack Jr
05-16-2003, 12:18 PM
My dad, Jack Colavita (age 72) about 2 weeks ago spotted gentleman at Comet Billiards in NJ 100 to 65 in Straight Pool which he lost the lag and from a safety ran 100 and out, continuing to 113 balls. Just to emphasize, he is 72 and has been a pro for years. He has a high run of 375 and shows that this game has no time limit for anyone who is god gifted.

Jack Jr.

Hopster
05-16-2003, 05:36 PM
I heard about your father years ago, was one of the really great straight pool shooters.
375 huh ? Wow, thats something.

poolmouse
05-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Is Comet Jack's home poolroom? I'd love to play him a game of straight pool. I've seen him play in alot of tournaments but never played him. Is he open to playing someone who broke 100 once?

PoolMouse

Candyman
05-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Candyman, I meant NO disrespect to any old-timers that play our beloved game This sport is one of the few that the longer you play it, the better you get. I respect you, but I'm not scared of you
I do live in the show me state. KC, MO. If your ever in my neck of the woods, I'd love to play.

Aboo, I know you we raised right and respect your elders. I was messing with you. I'm proud of my high mileage. I'll take you up on that invitation if I make it your way and the invitation to play in N.C. is open to you if you get down this way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
05-18-2003, 06:29 AM
Danny "The Golden Touch" Christian wrote the foward to Hollidays "Hi Runs" book. Danny and I have been friends for 20+ years and spoke highly of Holliday. Currently Danny is giving lessons at Steve Mizeraks pool room in Palm Beach Co.,Fl.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-18-2003, 01:09 PM
I have that book.. (dated 1984) and I found that I made a lot of notes (geeze was I a little crazy then) in the margins and on the diagrams. I've had the book about 15 years (maybe longer). Its one of the first books I ever got that I really learned some finer points of 14.1