PDA

View Full Version : Goal within a Goal - A concept

socrates
05-14-2003, 07:04 PM
There have been several posts related to goals on the board.

Certainly goals have played a big part in my life and I am a believer in The Magic of Thinking Big and the Power of Goals.

Prior to coming to my senses and taking up pool again I had a run of several years of bowling. When taking lessons from a former pro-bowler (Bob Neff) he asked me what my goal was. To which I replied a 200 average.

His response was that is nice but your goal should really be to roll each ball as good as you possibly can. If you do this the average will take care of itself.

Although I never did become a 200 bowler my average did move up about twenty pins following his words of wisdom.

Since then I have applied this goal within a goal concept to other endeavors. For example on the golf course when I changed my focus from the big goal of breaking 80 consistently into smaller goals within a goal the breaking 80 took care of itself. These goals within a goal were to never three putt, get up and down 1/2 of the time whenever I was within 15 yards of the green and to remember that a double bogey is better than a triple bogey so never give up on the hole.

In pool the goals within a goal are to;

Always "Perform the Ceremony" (Pre-shot routine)

100% effort on every shot. (You can not turn precision on and off)

Make the balls I am supposed to make.

Shoot the correct shot.

Always Deliver my best stroke. (Slow back, accelerate through to a fluid finish.)

If I can keep my brain engaged and pay attention to the goals within a goal I almost always play better.

In any event I found Bob Neff's suggestion helpful and I thought I would share it and see if others might have had similar experiences.

Candyman
05-14-2003, 07:40 PM
The elephant is huge, but he can be eaten one bite at a time. Great post Steve.

Karatemom
05-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Geez, I could have used those words last night. Chris tried to help the best that he could, but after my 1st loss, I lost it. I ended up winning my 1st game, and losing all 4 others, not because my opponents were better than me, but because I lost sight of those goals within a goal. My main goal was to win, but without the little goals, it was hopeless, and literally gave up.

Definitely something to think about the next time I'm at a table (which will be in a week, LOL).

Heide

jjinfla
05-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Hi Steve, My goal is to keep working through your lesson book one drill at a time. (up to page 60 now) And master the ones I can. 12 so far. The find dead center drill on page 45 really lit a light bulb for me and improved my stroke immensely. And Blackjack's rail drills also helped a lot. They sure helped me a lot with CB control. The two of you have really helped my game. Thanks, Jake~~~and maybe one day I will even be able to make that zero tolerance shot.

bluewolf
05-15-2003, 02:51 AM
I talk about wanting to beat an sl6 and stuff but as a lower ranked player with a spot, that is no huge accomplishment. I like playing better players though because it does tend to bring out my best game.

I get on here sometimes and say I am a cruddy shooter. It is all relative. When I began karate, I wanted the skills of the black belts and that is what I compared my skills to, not the guy one notch above me, whose fundamentals were only slightly 'cruddier' than mine.

Same thing in pool. To me a good seven is a good player (B or A player). That is who I model myself after and when I say 'I am a cruddy shooter' that is what stick I am using. I also will say I am weak on position because I fall short of my goal.

As far as APA sl there are such large variations within each and over laps, ie a 4 who shoots better than a 5 but just is not up there because of the computer program. For that reason, it seems kind of silly to measure one self by sl. It is better to evaluate oneself my improvement in the skills they are trying to master.

So my goals within goals have to do with where I am in my skills and working each day to get better.

This is me. I am shooting most shots well now but still have difficulty on 80 plus degree shots, banks, kicks unless it is a one rail one. Shape, learning more complex shape. Can do some shape, but I have a seven teaching me better shape.

I do not feel that by having such lofty goals is 'beating myself' up. I am just very goal directed. As far as short term goals, that has to do with the improvement I see in myself and it is that I can pat myself on my back about.

BTW, I love your book too Steve

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
05-15-2003, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
....it seems kind of silly to measure one self by sl.... <hr /></blockquote>

So why do you obsess about it so much?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-15-2003, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr>
His response was that is nice but your goal should really be to roll each ball as good as you possibly can. If you do this the average will take care of itself.
<hr /></blockquote>

Great post Steve.

My stroke has improved since I took lessons from John Scalf in 2002 and Scott Lee in 2003 and since I have been using your book. My goal within a goal is to deliver a proper stroke and the wins take care of themselves, same as the quote above.

Wally~~likes books you can "use" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
05-15-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
....it seems kind of silly to measure one self by sl.... <hr /></blockquote>

So why do you obsess about it so much? <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, if you knew me personally, I talk about things more than I think about things and I think about sl in a different way than I once did. When I first got on here, I thought that I was not respected because of my sl. I know now that that had nothing to do with my ability to play pool, but it did have a lot to do with confidence, focus and believing in oneself. Today, I hear these kind of things 'i cannot be a five because I cannot draw' and no effort to learn how. I saw in this last playoff one sl4 and one sl5 scratch twice and cluless, as they did not realize that it was the tangent line. I see people in boxes because of their sl and people staying in boxes for years. It is different what I mean by sl today.

These boxes are comfortable to them and it takes courage to break out of these boxes in the same way it takes courage to step out of any box as a particular profession, position in the family and to be more.

The ego seeks to define us : fat, thin, hansome, nose too big, lawyer, bricklayer, husband, wife. It has us conned into thinking those things are what the person is when each person is so much more. But it takes courage to step outside of the egos definitions and experience real freedom for the first time. And sometime, we get frightened by the undefined freedom, and run back to the security of the definitions of the ego.

I see league play the same way. Just as the ego serves a purpose, so does league play. Just like we must step out of the ego's definition of us to experience freedom and all that we are capable, people must step out of the league sl box that they are in to expereince all that they can be in pool. EGO, SL. Both boxes.

So if this does not go over your head like water over a duck's back, but you really SEE what I am saying, you will know that when I talk about sl, it is differnt for me now than it was eight months ago.

The ego box. The sl box. Same thing. No difference.

Laura