PDA

View Full Version : Dress Codes

L.S. Dennis
05-15-2003, 07:57 AM
What about dress codes on television matches? Do you think that formal dress helps improve pool's image? When asked this question Allen Hopkins responded in this way;

"A tuxedo isn't going to make the image of pool better. We've been wearing tuxedos for the last 30 years. It hasn't done a anything for us"

What about this do you agree?

cycopath
05-15-2003, 08:13 AM
Tuxedos are for weddings and proms. I say let them wear what they feel comfortable in. And make Jeanette Lee wear as little as possible. Anyway a bunch of sponsor patches would look kind of retarded on a tux.

Yuppie
05-15-2003, 08:18 AM
I don't really think dress codes do anything for the game. People have a stigma about the game that has become ingrained in our society which will be hard to extinguish. Especially with movies like "Poolhall Junkies" coming out and giving pool an even worse name.

The only way the poolhall stigma will go away is if more high-class halls open up and people SEE that the upper class play the game too.

It's one thing to see players dressed nice on television and it's another thing to see gamblers and smokers gathered around a table in a dingy hall.

Something big needs to happen for people to realize that the game has changed by leaps and bounds over the years.

pooldaddy9
05-15-2003, 10:40 AM
They should maybe dress a little nicer for tv, but not a tuxedo. You should be able to be comfortable and able to move around.

9 Ball Girl
05-15-2003, 11:11 AM
I love the way Jeanette Lee dresses. She dresses the way I probably would. I like to be able to wear sleeveless tops. That's a must for when I'm playing. I just don't know if they would have anything against tattoos.

05-15-2003, 11:24 AM
well, i think their is a need for a dress code, women shooting with mini skirts on would draw a nice crowd, but really destroy her attention. as far as the men are concerned just some khakis and a nice button down shirt that you know you can stretch and shoot in.

i say the same for the women, just be mindfull.

cycopath
05-15-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote muujahid:</font><hr>...women shooting with mini skirts on would draw a nice crowd, but really destroy her attention. as far as the men are concerned just some khakis and a nice button down shirt that you know you can stretch and shoot in.
<hr /></blockquote>Fong Pang Chao "The Cold-Faced Killer" might want to wear a mini skirt.
That dude looks like he's a butt-bandit. Or maybe I'm just a redneck homophobe... who knows.

05-15-2003, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fong Pang Chao "The Cold-Faced Killer" might want to wear a mini skirt. That dude looks like he's a butt-bandit. Or maybe I'm just a redneck homophobe... who knows. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

dg-in-centralpa
05-15-2003, 02:30 PM
I have no problem with dressing nice. Especially if we want the corporate world to take our sport seriously. Golf does not allow torn jeans,sneakers, t -shirts, etc. I also think that having your hair look nice should be a requirement. Like that girl who played Loree Jon on TV( Can't think of her name) it looked like she stuck her finger in a light socket. I almost gagged. IMO she did not represent the WPBA very well.

eg8r
05-15-2003, 02:49 PM
I like the idea of a dress code, but tuxedos might be over doing it. Could you imagine some of these characters all stuffed up in a tux. It would look like pool was trying to hard.

I think CW has a dress code for his tourneys, slacks and collared shirts. No jeans, t-shirs, etc. This is a good idea in my mind.

eg8r

Aboo
05-15-2003, 02:53 PM
I don't care if you dress like a hobo (NOT homo! :P) If you can run racks I'll watch you play.
Sure, Jeanette (or 9 ball girl /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) in a mini and a halter top would be nice... but can they shoot? I'm there to see and play pool. If I want to see T&amp;A I'll go to the club up the street. (Not that I won't look between matches, I'm human for crying out loud.)

To me, saying; "If you can't wear a button down shirt, a bow tie and slacks, you can't play" is the same thing as saying "if your black/white/spanish/insert whatever idiotic fear of difference you have here" you can't play. Equally ludicrous in my opinion.

05-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Lots of ways to look sharp without looking like a stiff. Wearing a tux is like trying too hard. Can't see how that would encourage a regular guy to take up the game.

snipershot
05-15-2003, 07:30 PM
I don't think players should have to wear tuxedos, I couldn't imagine trying to shoot in one. imo, players should be able to dress how they want as long as they don't dress like slobs, just wear something decent and respectful looking but something that is comfy to shoot in as well.

05-16-2003, 12:23 AM
well, i've played in a tux and it's not fun at all. it was right after i left a wedding, i decided to go and shoot some pool instead of going right home, and man i could'nt stretch, it was just the worse, i played for about 1 painfull hr, and then just went the hell home, slacks &amp; a nice shirt is all you need. you'll die in a tux trying to shoot pool. It's as bad as trying to play basketball in a tux.

Billy
05-16-2003, 01:45 AM
you may or may not be referring to CJ Wiley's pro tournaments a few years back but if i remember correctly he asked that you wear a tie.

one of his tournaments was where Strickland ran the consecutive racks on Mannino for the million dollars later to be disputed by the insurers.

JPB
05-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Tuxedos are ridiculous in pool. Some dress code is fine because there are players who would show up in wife beaters or sweats. Someone mentioned golf again. Golf pros dress a lot better than the average pool player, but remember 2 things. (1) they dress in a way that people who play golf dress - i.e. normal golfers wear trousers and golf shirts - pool players don't wear tuxes except at a wedding. (2) this means clothing companies can sell clothes to golfers in pro shops. The market for pool shirts is about 32 per year.

05-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Wasn't it Willie Mosconi who was once quoted as saying "Making a pool player wear a tuxedo is like putting whipped cream on a hot dog"