PDA

View Full Version : Anika can win!!!!!!!!

Kato
05-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Sörenstam says she can win May 14, 2003
GolfWeb Wire Services
E-mail this story to a friend

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- Unfazed by critics, Annika Sorenstam said Wednesday that she believes she can win the Bank of America Colonial next week.

Advertisement

"I believe so, if all the stars are lined up right," she said Wednesday.

Speaking on a conference call to promote next month's ShopRite LPGA Classic, Sörenstam was surprised at the stir created by her decision to play in the PGA TOUR event and without mentioning his name, addressed Vijay Singh's controversial comments from earlier this week.

"I think everybody's entitled to their own opinion, and obviously they speak their minds, and that's just where I want to leave it," she said. "I don't hold anything against anybody.

"I was maybe a little naive when I didn't think about this," she said. "I'm still amazed by all the attention, all the opinion, all the experts on my game. It's really funny. I never expected anything like this."

By accepting a sponsor's exemption, Sörenstam will become the first woman in 58 years to compete on the PGA TOUR. The last woman to do so was Babe Zaharias, who qualified for the 1945 Los Angeles Open.

Sörenstam won 13 times around the world last year, the most by a woman in nearly 40 years. She's the only woman to shoot 59.

She acknowledged she will be nervous playing the 7,080-yard, par-70 Colonial Country Club course, but thinks she can shoot par if the weather holds. She has played the course once but didn't keep score.

"I'm doing this because I want to test myself. I'm coming to a stage that's totally different than I'm used to: tougher course, tougher competitors, all the attention. It's just going to be so different," Sörenstam said.

"It's just a test for me. I want to see what it's all about, I want to see how good my game is. I'm sure I would perform better if I get more chances, but this is just a one-time opportunity," she said.

Tiger Woods thinks it would be terrific if Sörenstam makes the cut.

"I would think it was a fantastic performance -- no doubt about it," he said in Alveslohe, Germany, where he's playing in the Deutsche Bank-SAP Open TPC of Europe.

In Irving, Texas, where the PGA TOUR's EDS Byron Nelson Championship starts Thursday, some players admitted they were eager to find out how she'll fare.

"Everyone is extremely curious to she how she's going to play," Ben Crane said. "We really don't know what's going to come of it. I'll be very interested to see how she plays."

David Toms, who won the Wachovia Championship last week, said: "I hope she plays well for ladies' golf and for her. But what is playing well? Nobody knows, nobody has anything to measure it against. I don't have any hard feeling toward her at all. She thinks she can do it, I guess we'll find out."

Singh told The Associated Press that Sörenstam had no business playing in next week's Colonial and said that on the odd chance he gets paired with her, he'd withdraw.

"I hope she misses the cut. Why? Because she doesn't belong out here," Singh told AP golf writer Doug Ferguson during an interview. "If I'm drawn with her, which I won't be, I won't play."

Singh later said he was sorry if his comment came across as a personal attack.

Nick Price, the Colonial's defending champion, has said Sörenstam's appearance "reeks of publicity."

"The people that say that, they don't know me," she said. "When I started playing golf many years ago, I was afraid of the limelight. My game has changed, but me personally has not changed."

İThe Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

Kato~~~used the old cut and paste

nAz
05-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Bad link dude...

I do not think she could win nor do i think she should play, then again what do i know.
Hmm you know this may open the door for the Men to play in the WPGA and rob every tourny /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
05-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Crazier things have happened before. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do not agree that she is playing without qualifying for the spot, however, now that she is playing I hope she plays her tail off. It would be ashame for her to make it to the second round and fluff off. Would this happen, I am not sure, but I hope not.

Good luck Anika (sp?).

eg8r

snipershot
05-15-2003, 06:57 PM
She better play her best if she hopes to have a chance at winning, she's a great player on the wpga but this is a whole different ballgame. She sure has attracted alot of media attention which is good for the tournament though.

Ward
05-16-2003, 08:30 AM
E8gr

I no golf expert but what I have heard here on ESPN radio this is done a lot. Tiger did not qualify for his first Masters, he was a amature, there are a lot of amatures invited to different tournaments. I think that a local course teaching pro can be given the exemption.

At least Anika has a proven record on the LPGA tour, what has some local teaching pro won?

I think it is like all sports now, it's all about the money

Later

nAz
05-16-2003, 11:23 AM
true she can play and by the rules she does not have to qualify since the sponcer gets to invite any two players (even me)
Boy the TV ratings are gonna be really high for this huh.
Just found out that Men can't play in the WPGA since its writen in their rule book lol

eg8r
05-16-2003, 11:56 AM
FWIW, I am beyond all that now. I don't think she should just get picked to play. I am not picking her out, I don't think anyone should get a free ticket if the majority of the crowd had to work to get there. Anika just happens to be the one that has piqued my interest.

Beyond all that, now that she is playing I hope she plays her butt off. Good luck

eg8r

eg8r
05-16-2003, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just found out that Men can't play in the WPGA since its writen in their rule book lol <hr /></blockquote> This is correct, however I personally am fine with it. They are a private entity and can let who they want to be part of it. I just wish that hypocrite Burke would now open her mouth about the LPGA. This is the same type of thing, Augusta is private with restrictions, and so is the LPGA. I know we will not hear anything because Mz. Burke is not going to go against her own sex.

I did hear something that was pretty interesting to me and I completely agree. Yesterday I was listening to 820 AM, the Randy Galloway Show. He had a caller that called in and asked the question, "What is the difference between Augusta choosing who can be a member, and the Colonial (or whatever the sponsors name is) getting to choose who they want to golf." I do agree that there is no difference. A private business should be allowed to do whatever they want (providing they obey all laws). So in this respect, Anika I will retract my disagreement about your play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Like what I think really matters.

Anyways, I have not totally switched views, but I do have a different point of view now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks to no one other than the caller on the Randy Galloway Show.

eg8r

rackmup
05-17-2003, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> Tiger did not qualify for his first Masters, <hr /></blockquote>

Tiger did qualify for the Masters. His exemptions as an amateur were earned by winning certain amateur events. The Masters provides these exemptions for amateurs who qualify for them.

Ward...stick to pool. You know nothing about golf. For that matter, stick to microwaving poptarts as you know nothing about pool either.

Hell...you probably don't know anything about working your microwave either.

You just might be completely hopeless.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

Ken (just teasing my very first Texas friend.)

nAz
05-17-2003, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> Tiger did not qualify for his first Masters, <hr /></blockquote>

Tiger did qualify for the Masters. His exemptions as an amateur were earned by winning certain amateur events. The Masters provides these exemptions for amateurs who qualify for them.

Ward...stick to pool. You know nothing about golf. For that matter, stick to microwaving poptarts as you know nothing about pool either.

BAhahahahaha stop it please lol ohhh mercy!

Hell...you probably don't know anything about working your microwave either.

You just might be completely hopeless.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

Ken (just teasing my very first Texas friend.) <hr /></blockquote>

eg8r
05-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Wow Ken. Where's all the animosity coming from? You better not be sniffing the bug spray. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

rackmup
05-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Ward knows I'm just razzing him.

During my first visit to Texas (while trying to decide if I would accept a company transfer from Arizona to Arlington), I decided to play in a "chip" tournament at Speed's in Arlington.

Ward was the very first person I met. He walked up and asked "Are you 'Rackmup'?" A poolhall friendship developed from there.

He razzes me every chance he gets and I am simply trying to catch up.

Ward is a good guy as well as a straight shooter.

But I mean it when I say he probably doesn't know how to operate his microwave or get his VCR to cease flashing "12:00" on it's display screen.

Hell...he cross-threads his 314 shaft to his cue butt 2-out-of-three-times.

Regards,

Ken (cross-threading his shaft does seem to help Ward with difficult masse' shots)

JPB
05-19-2003, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> She better play her best if she hopes to have a chance at winning, she's a great player on the wpga but this is a whole different ballgame. She sure has attracted alot of media attention which is good for the tournament though. <hr /></blockquote>

She better play her best if she hopes to make the cut. Her best cannot win on the Tour. If she made the cut and then the top 60 guys in the tournament got food poisoning from the players' buffet and withdrew she would have a chance to win. I'm not against her and I think what Vijay Singh said was moronic, and kind of want to see her or another woman do well, but realistically she has no shot. I watched some of the women's golf this year with a critical eye given she is going to play. Her short game is awful by men's tour standards. Her long putting is awful. Her chipping is bad. SHe does not have some of the shots around the greens. On the LPGA pins are parked in the middle of slow greens to keep the bottom of the field from being embarrassed. On Tour they are tucked in nasty spots on fast greens. Annika looking at a tucked pin with a 5 iron in her hand is a disaster waiting to happen. SHe is a low ball hitter and can't hold the greens if she goes for tight pins. So she is going to either have long putts or tough shots around the greens. If she putts like she did in the Dinah Shore, I expect to see her make a lot of bogeys and some doubles. Take a nice tight 445 yard par 4. Driver 9 iron for the men, some wedges. Short iron to a pin 4 steps over a bunker and 4 steps from the edge. Annika will hit driver 4 iron, 5 iron something like that. If she goes for the pin she will probably have an up and down she can't make and could bring double into the picture if she short sides herself. Playing safe brings bogey into play because her lag putting is bad. I wish her well, but think she will struggle.

Ward
05-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Ken

Work is making you grouchy, quit that damm job....

Later