PDA

View Full Version : How low do you go?

glupidio
05-15-2003, 02:09 PM
I've noticed that over the years the vast majority of top players are getting down lower and lower on their shots; many even lightly rubbing their chin on the cue. What is the height that works best for you?

I haven't done any research on it but it seems like the trend really started to take hold as more snooker players starting coming over and winning major events. Is this is a natural evolution of the game that came about because of added accuracy? It wasn't that long ago that you'd see top players aiming with their chin 6, 8, 12 inches or more above the cue. Is there really that much of a difference?

It seems to me that it's easier to see the aim point on the object ball and judge those 1/4 ball & 1/2 ball hits while down lower. It's also easier to spot stroke flaws and see where the tip is making contact with the ball. On the other hand, it's easier to see the angles while up higher. Thoughts?

-Glupidio

L.S. Dennis
05-15-2003, 02:33 PM
The association you make between the snooker players and their shot making skill certainly can't be denied. You're also correct in pointing out that the great players of yesteryear (with the possible exception of Jersey Red) pretty much all sighted with the shaft well below their chins. Your observation is accurate, I've ofter thought about this myself!

Aboo
05-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Low, 1-2" above the cue shaft. This is an estimate, I've never taped myself or measured /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
05-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Well at least during the straight pool era there was no need really to bend way over. As that game faded away and 9 ball become the game of choice per-say I think things started changing. For sure the British invasion has no doubt influenced some of the change.

I play at least 14" over the cue. Man my back gets sore watching the cue rub their chin. LOL I sure can't see anything down there.

Rod

pooljunkie73
05-15-2003, 03:56 PM
My chin touches the cue.I first started playing snooker so,this is how i was taught.I tried shooting off my chin but found it very uncomfortable.

snipershot
05-15-2003, 04:26 PM
I hold my chin about one to two inches above my cue, this feels comfortable to me. One of my biggest problems used to be lifting my head up before I had finished shooting and it threw my shot way off, but now my chin stays down near my cue until I have completed shooting.

Karatemom
05-15-2003, 04:32 PM
I shoot as if I were sighting with a rifle. My chin touches the cue and also am center over the cue instead of having my dominant (right) eye over it. I have tried shooting with my chin anywhere from 2 - 6 inches above the cue, but can't get comfy that way.

This was not a position I was taught, it just came naturally. I believe that most players just shoot where they're most comfortable. But the younger and newer players to the game now have models to learn from and watch via videotapes and television, so they might try to duplicate what they've seen.

I also think that with the entrance and popularity of snooker players, their stance has become more popular.

Heide ~ surprised I don't have a callus on my chin, LOL

cycopath
05-15-2003, 07:00 PM
My chin is about 3.5 - 4" above the shaft. Any lower and I start to see spots. A buddy of mine plays practically standing upright. It's like watching old tapes of some of the legends playing. Except for the absence of potting balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phong_Do_Khoi
05-15-2003, 10:46 PM
My chin goes pretty low, sometimes rubbing my cue, usually when I'm concentrating more.

Ever watch Gerry Watson play? He's really high off his cue

bluewolf
05-16-2003, 02:37 AM
As low as I need to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously, i am very low but it does depend somewhat on the shot. I typically have my chin about 4 inches above the cue, unless the ball is near the tail and then I am up more. More of a modified snooker stance I guess. Sometimes I get so low that I am square and my legs are spread out like I am doing a split.

I tried different stances and losts of people have told me I am doing it wrong, that I address the ball wrong, etc, but essentially evolved into what is comfortable for me.

Scott Lee said, when I asked him, do what is comfortable as long as it allows you stroke arm to stroke freely.

Laura

HalSmith
05-16-2003, 03:59 AM
I too have noticed alot of players rubbing their chin with their cue. I stay about 2-3 inches above my cue, I think it would be a huge distraction to fell the cue rub my chin on a shot. But hey if it works for those that do it all the power to them.---Smitty

Paul_Mon
05-16-2003, 05:45 AM
Glupidio,
Good topic. Having played for over 30 years and starting out playing mostly 14.1 I used to be quite erect in my stance. In 1995 when I started playing regularly again and switching to 9 ball I developed a much lower (chin 1" above the cue) stance. I maintain this stance on a majority of shots. The only times I'll assume a more erect stance is when kicking, breaking and short shots without much angle. In my case the change to a lower stance was made after observing the new generation of pro players getting lower.

One unfortunate thing that happened to me was that I tore my left rotator cuff in 1999. This injury prevents you from raising your arm over your head which is exactly what is required in setting up in a low stance, if you're right handed. Prior to my surgery and for months after during my rehab I had to assume a very erect stance.

Paul Mon

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Normally, my chin touches the cue so that it's dead center between my eyes. Other times, my cue will brush the right side of my chin but I'll keep my right eye over the cue (dominant eye). And then there are those shots that I can't get down on the way I normally would because it distorts the path of the CB to the OB so I sort of stay up about 3-4 inches for those.

Qtec
05-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi everybody,i have been teaching snooker for more than 17 years and it seems that you guys are in need of some good advice.To play good snooker you have to have good technique.The degree of dificulty ,between pool and snooker in respect of potting balls, is obvious to anybody who has played both games.A good snooker player can switch to pool and play,in a short time ,to a high standard,eg,Allison Fisher.Beware of bad advice,somebody said that you should play every ball as if it was the money ball,what about this,you should play the money ball the same as every other ball!Think about it.

pooltchr
05-16-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Normally, my chin touches the cue so that it's dead center between my eyes. Other times, my cue will brush the right side of my chin but I'll keep my right eye over the cue (dominant eye). And then there are those shots that I can't get down on the way I normally would because it distorts the path of the CB to the OB so I sort of stay up about 3-4 inches for those. <hr /></blockquote>
Steve &lt;--- Suspects 9BG would be good regardless of her position!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

glupidio
05-16-2003, 02:36 PM
My limited experience with snooker was a trip to Thailand last year. They had smaller tables and they used numbered balls 1-15 (which seemed odd to me) so we played 9-ball with those rounded pockets and small diameter cues, which was a disaster for my game having never played snooker before. I couldn't run 3 balls, it was truly infuriating.

Eventually I figured out that the only way I could pocket anything was to get down low and stroke each shot flawlessly. Cheating the pocket or using any amount of english was extremely difficult to pull off. I think it has to be much easier to go from snooker to pool than the other way around. I have tremendous respect for the game and its players.

So now I'm trying to decide how much I will really benefit from getting down lower on my shots. The biggest challenge for me will be learning how to aim all over again. I currently use the ghost ball and line-from-pocket aiming techniques to visualize the lines and angles on the cloth. I know it will take a while to adjust, but I can see some benefits to the switch- it's a tough call. Thanks for all your feedback.

-Glupidio

Ralph S.
05-16-2003, 03:18 PM
I would like to add some of my opinions and observations to this subject. Personally, I dont really get into a very low stance, nor do I have my chin very close to the cue. I beleive from my own experiences as well as observations, that one's sight line and how "low they get" in their stance can and does vary greatly due to physical stature.

I, myself, can actually sight almost as well and better in most cases from a more upright position depending on the shot. Any particular shot can also be a determining factor into a persons' stance and how low they get yet again.

I am sure there are some who will agree and disagree, but these are my opinions, nothing more nothing less.

TonyM
05-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Good observations!

I play both Snooker and 9 ball primarily, so I get as low as you can get (my chin lightly rubs the cue).

The main advantage for the chin touching the cue is not what most people think. It's not for "aim". It's to create and maintain a consistent head position for repeatable sighting.

My advice is always;

"aim from above (while standing" and shoot from below"

Tony

05-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Hi Folks,

This is a great post!

Something that I have noticed is that when I play 8 ball and 9 ball, I tend to rub the cue against my chin. When I practice straight pool, I naturally stand up much straighter.

Mike