PDA

View Full Version : Beginners with custom cues?

Candyman
05-15-2003, 06:13 PM
I have read quite a few post over the last several months on whether or not a beginner should start out with an inexpensive cue or a higher end model. I asked myself the same questions when I started to play serious pool last October. House cues were my choice in the beginning, but I quickly became discouraged with the selections available. In bars they are abused unmercifully, so I purchased an inexpensive "Players" Sneaky Pete. This has worked out nicely for me. Having a cue of my own has helped in my consistency also. I have begun to get a better feel on what the reaction of the CB is going to be as well as how much to adjust my aim point when using side. I played with this cue for about 3 months and upgraded the tip to a Moori MH. I struggled at first because this changed the characteristics of the stick completely. It was scarey. After I got use to the change, I loved it. If I had continued to use house cues I think my learning curve would have suffered. I still consider myself a beginner with a lot to learn. This brings me to my next point. Some veteran players have commented on the CCB about beginners upgrading to high end production or custom cues. Some comments were positive and some negative and I respect both and actually see both sides. I would feel self conscious going into a bar with a custom, but I will be doing so shortly. This is my logic. I see golfers, tennis players, bowlers, skiers and on and on, that can't play a lick, but have the latest and greatest equipment. I see people buy Rolex's, sports cars, boats to make them better looking and it doesn't work. Some people can afford the luxury and some can't. You kinda see where I am going with this! I know a custom won't make me a better player, but I have an appreciation for the work these cue makers do. It is truly art. I had not planned to upgrade so soon, but circumstances got in the way. I acquired a Danny Stout last week in a barter deal and a Dale Perry on a Ebay bid that was very low. Right, wrong, or indifferent they are going to the PH with papa. If anybody there has a problem with that they can get therapy. I think a lot of this cue issue is preception. I love this pool game and have become some what of a history buff. IMHO pool has not increased in popularity in leaps and bounds. Nice cues stand out in bars and they create inter-action with the non-playing patrons. Bar sticks don't. This is just one way to promote the game. If each player got one or two people playing pool, maybe we could get more TV exposer, more tournaments, more and better rooms. Think about it.

Lock

pooltchr
05-16-2003, 05:43 AM
I think you have a good point. If you can afford it, or if you find a great deal, by all means, get what you like. Since you can already tell the difference between tips, you probably will notice the different hit with a custom. I still think as a general rule, a new player buying his or her first cue should go with an inexpensive (reletively) cue and then upgrade if they continue with the game. The extra money is probably better spent on some professional instruction. Imagine how much better most players could be if they had an instructor guiding them when they started out, rather than having to learn through trial and error.

Kato
05-16-2003, 06:31 AM
We live in a country where if you can afford something (or often times not afford something) then you can buy it. No hard feelings from me. Enjoy.

Kato~~~would never bring his nicer cues to a bar as they have a tendency to walk away.

UWPoolGod
05-16-2003, 07:55 AM
I know a custom won't make me a better player, but I have an appreciation for the work these cue makers do. It is truly art. <---Candyman

I worked my way up from a $20 Big5 cue, McDermott, Schon Ltd, Scruggs sneaky, Custom being made as we speak. The natural progression for me up to the top of production cues, followed by beginning the low end custom and now working my way up the custom pole. Throughout my journey, I have noticed that each cue has added a different dimension to my game.

Big5 cue: Started out just making shots, lucky with the plastic tip on it.

Blue McDermott: Better for shot making, start of english.

Schon Ltd: Now learning and be able to control position and speed better with the stiffer cue.

Scruggs: Excellent cueball control, shotmaking
Now a custom: wait and see.

Basically each cue helped develop a different part of my game, could have developed the whole game with the McDermott. However you don't have to fight the cueball or cue with the other cues like I had to with the McDermott. Night and Day.
My rambling $0.02

Todd