PDA

View Full Version : Object Ball Fouls

L.S. Dennis
05-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Having learned straight pool as my first game a life time ago I've always played that ANY foul is a foul and this includes touching an object ball while shooting. To this day if I'm just practicing and am in the middle of a 50 ball run and I inadvertantly touch another ball that run has stopped for me, at least mentally.

In 1674 Charles Cotton published the first set of billiard rules in the English language. One of them reads, "He that in play the adverse ball shall touch/With stick, hand, or cloaths forfeits just as much". In other words you can't touch a ball, even with your clothing.

Now fast forward to 1988 when the now defunct PBTA came up with this change; "It is not a foul to accidentally touch stationary object balls while in the act of shooting".

I don't know maybe I'm old fashion but I liked it the way it was!

jjinfla
05-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Hey Dennis, this is the modern age - we have to lower expectations and requirements so that we can all be equal. LOL. Jake

L.S. Dennis
05-16-2003, 08:25 AM
One more note while on this subject, to the best of my knowledge Earl Strickland is the only pro who has advocated going back to playing 'all fouls' in the 9-ball game they play.

Congratulations to Earl for taking a stand on this!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-16-2003, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know maybe I'm old fashion but I liked it the way it was! <hr /></blockquote>

Me too.. and alternating break is the pits.. you hold the table until you miss... ???? doesn't this include the break of any future games?

Double Elimination (except in the finals) ???
Race to 9 except in the finals... then race to 7???

Could I go on?

Old fashion or not.. when will the game(s) have ONE Standard Set of RULES?