PDA

View Full Version : Satire time

nAz
05-15-2003, 11:38 PM
funny or not? accurate or not?

http://www.salon.com/comics/boll/2003/05/15/boll/story.gif

Aboo
05-16-2003, 10:19 AM
hehe, I realize that this was a joke, but, if the media prints it, it is true /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Sadly, in this country, that's how it works. The only way to boost the economy, is to get the consumers to spend more. The only way to get them to spend more, is to convince them that the economy is doing great...
It's kind of a Catch 22 /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2003, 10:28 AM
They have this cartoon and others printed in the Village Voice (like the way we have off off Broadway shows, this would be the off off newspaper of New York among others). In any case, it's some funny $hit! Hahahahahaha!

Aboo
05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Is this an online rag, or print only? I'm a ways from NY but I'd like to take a look /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
05-16-2003, 11:27 AM
it has an a web site but its a free paper that come out every Wedensday.
good left wing article in it too lol

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2003/db030421.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Here you go hon:

http://www.villagevoice.com/sutton/

eg8r
05-16-2003, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only way to boost the economy, is to get the consumers to spend more. The only way to get them to spend more, is to convince them that the economy is doing great...
<hr /></blockquote> Well, I thought you were on to something in the first sentence, but you fell off the edge on the second one. Sure the only way to boost economy is to get the consumers to spend their money and buy goods. The only proven way to get the consumers to buy goods is to put money in their hands. This is done through a tax cut for those that pay taxes. Not everyone, just those that pay taxes.

eg8r

Aboo
05-19-2003, 02:11 PM
I don't have a problem with tax cuts, in fact, I'm all for them. However, to cut taxes means that the government has to curb stupid spending. Not ALL spending, but stupid spending. And historically speaking... that's not gonna happen.

So, what will happen is what has happened in the past. The Federal Government will cut taxes, then cut state benefits. Causing the States to raise taxes and cut educational spending , rather than spend their money more efficently /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yes, this post is highly opinionated, but somewhat true as well. I live in a city that has a non-accredited school system, one of the WORST road-way systems in the country, and the highest paid Municipal court justices in the country, government officials with chouffers, etc... How do they reduce the deficit? Cut police and fire safety spending, raise taxes, roll-over toll-road contracts for additional years, do another 6 month investigation on a school superintendant that will quit in less than a year, etc...

Our system is broken, but unfortunately, there is no better one /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Aboo
05-19-2003, 02:15 PM
On another note. The difference in my utility bills this past summer and winter were much MORE than any money I saw from any tax cuts, or will ever see. So, them giving me back the money that was mine in the first place doesn't do anything for my feelings of confidence in our economy, especially since it'll just get taxed again when I go to spend it /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

WesK
05-19-2003, 04:12 PM
I don't know about the comic, but I believe that the 5th string should be: 1110110

wes

nAz
05-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Opps yes your right sir thanks you for the correction /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif