PDA

View Full Version : jeanette lee's FUTURE

arn3
05-16-2003, 10:17 PM
i think JL is at an interesting point in her career. i don't see her CONSISTANTLY in the top four as she used to be. she's done a good job PR-ing herself up till now, but she seems to be at brink of losing what got her here. this means less tournament coverage of her matches, less free airtime.

out of sight, out of mind.

cheesemouse
05-17-2003, 06:20 AM
If my memory serves me, I beleve both Eva Mattia(sp) and Mike Segal were at the top of there games when they both landed endorsement with Brunswick. It seems to me that shortly there after they fell from the top positions. I assume from the new endorsement duties required took away from their games. Janet's game could be off just a touch because of the hard work she puts into her self promotion and she has lost that razor shape edge that is required to win events on her tour.

In this game where it's hard to make it on prize money alone it must be a hard choice to make whether to take the money outside the game or focus on trophys.

05-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Also remember that her back condition from scoliosis has been growing worse and worse over the years. That could also be contributing to her decline. She wrote one time about taking a timeout in the middle of a match, and going to the ladies room where she passed out on the floor from the pain she was having. She basically says it ALWAYS hurts when she plays, but she just learned to focus through it and play the match.

Didn't I hear or read recently that she was finally going to have that back surgery she's been putting off for years? She long ago outgrew the 18" rod that was placed in her back as a teenager, but she put off the surgery because the doctors told her she might not be able to compete for a few years and at the time she was at the top of the game.

I'll bet if she goes ahead with the surgery and gets things fixed once and for all, and with some rigorous therapy and training, she's still young enough to come back strong and be competitive again. Maybe without her back trouble she'll come back even stronger.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-17-2003, 02:53 PM
dmorris8
I was under the impression that she had this surgery last year. Maybe I was wrong.. but she had a spurt of success (more 1sts and 2nds places)

bluewolf
05-17-2003, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> Also remember that her back condition from scoliosis has been growing worse and worse over the years. That could also be contributing to her decline. She wrote one time about taking a timeout in the middle of a match, and going to the ladies room where she passed out on the floor from the pain she was having. She basically says it ALWAYS hurts when she plays, but she just learned to focus through it and play the match.

<hr /></blockquote>

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 12. My back is pretty twisted. I do have constant pain but if Jeanette also has fibromyalgia along with the scoliosis, that would be very painful.

I do not think surgery is a very good option. I think that they essentially break your back unless techniques have improved.

Laura

05-17-2003, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> dmorris8
I was under the impression that she had this surgery last year. Maybe I was wrong.. but she had a spurt of success (more 1sts and 2nds places) <hr /></blockquote>Oh, maybe she did. I'm always the last to know... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

arn3
05-17-2003, 03:46 PM
whatever the reason, her visibility relies on her pool exposure. not her infrequent ads, tv spots. her image is linked to her pool game.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2003, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> dmorris8
I was under the impression that she had this surgery last year. Maybe I was wrong.. but she had a spurt of success (more 1sts and 2nds places) <hr /></blockquote>

She had the surgery. I believe it was in spring of 2000. The reason I remember is because I missed seeing her at Valley Forge that year, the only time I've gone. After months of rehab she started playing again.