PDA

View Full Version : willards tipping machine

05-17-2003, 03:22 AM
Hi, i'm thinking of buying the tipping machine and i just have a few questions about it. Are they any good and how does it work? Meaning would i have to get it converted to a 3 pin plug or whatever. And just one more thing, i got my hands on a gulyassy sledgehammer break cue last night and i can sum that cue up in one word........UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! JASON /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif [ QUOTE ]
Money won is twice as sweet as money earned <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
05-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Jason...The Willard is what I have, but I might have made a different choice if I knew then what I know now. Harbor Freight sells a mini-lathe for 50 bucks more that the Willard tool, and I wonder whether that would be the best investment overall. The best of both world would be to have the Willard AND the lathe, but that gets pricy. If you do get the Willard, be very cautious with your trimming. The set screw used to creep you up toward the ferrule is necessary, even though I got away without using it iin my early days...it also nicked a couple of ferrules for me. Finish the trim in a spinning tool or preferably a lathe once you get close to the ferrule. The trim is your only real task.

One other thing, make sure you put enough muscle into tightening the shaft into the holding collet. I worried about marring the shaft wood by being too strong. There's wisdom in being a little over strength than under, cuz the shaft will snag and turn inside the collet if it is too loose, and that will indeed make marks on your shaft. Watch the tape that comes with the tool. I also got the 14mm collets with mine to allow me to do larger shafts.

Sid

Rod
05-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Sid,
That lathe is on sale now for $329. I just passed up a 2 month old used one on ebay for $275 with extra tooling. I'd never buy a Williard for what those lathes cost. I want a little bigger one.

Rod