PDA

View Full Version : Tourney report - Hamiltucky APA Invitational.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm sure nobody gives a rat's patoot but here it goes anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This past week was our annual Hamiltucky APA team tournament to decide which teams go to Vegas in August.

Actually it also includes Middletown (Middletucky) and Trenton (Home of the Miller brewery and the "Box-car boys"..anybody remember that story? The boys that got locked in a freight car and survived by drinking beer).

Dam I'm tired LOL. I was there 8 days in a row starting last Saturday and from 9:00 am till 3:30 am yesterday with only a 2 hour break in the afternoon.

Out of 58 open teams (men and women) 4 go to Vegas. Two years ago they only took 3 teams and we finished 4th. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Out of 20 ladies teams 2 go to Vegas.

My Thursday team ("Fun" team, I'm captain and we're just a bunch of bangers. That's our name- "The Bangers") lost our first match Sunday but we pulled one out of our ass Monday.
Then we lost Wednesday in a rubber match, hill-hill thriller. I was 1-1 with sl 5. He made the 8 and scratched on the break. That put me on the hill at 2-1 (yes I am back down to 4 skill level /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif, for no apparent reason). He won the next 3 games to beat me. I actually played really well, just one or two balls from winning. I played well Tuesday too against the best player on the other team. I had him at 2-1 also and he won the last 3.
The good news is everybody got to play and all but one person got a win. Our girl sl 2 even got a win. These guys never expected to even be there and we had a blast. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
================================================== ===

My Monday team ("serious" team) got a bye in the first round due to our stellar play in the regular season /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. We won Monday. But we lost Thursday and Friday. Only one guy (Mike, a 5 who played like a 7) and one girl ( Kathy, my gf ) really had their game on. The rest of us were terribly inconsistent. Brilliant one game and awful the next game. You just can't win like that.
================================================== ===
It sucked being up there for 18 hours yesterday and not playing. I did get in a mini-tournament though and I helped Kathy's female teammates practice and warm up. I'm a stern taskmaster /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...not really.

Kathy's ladies team started Friday with a loss. Then they started the looooong trek thru the loser's bracket. They got wins Saturday at 9:00 am, 3:30 pm, 7:30 pm, and 10:00 pm. At 2:00 am Kathy woke me up in my chair and said "hey we're playing our match for Vegas" I said "Cool. I'm going to go sleep in the truck" LOL. I was exhausted. She came out at 3:30 with the good news. They had survived the long journey thru the left side to earn a Vegas berth . Yesssss.... <font color="blue">That means I get to tag along.</font color> We are going to try to get in the Scotch tourney out there also.

Kathy also won $70 in a mini-tourney so she's buying the New York strips for the grill tonight.

So anyway, I guess the whole point of this is <font color="red">Is anybody else going to Vegas? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? </font color>

Tom_In_Cincy
05-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Wally,
The other women's team.. the one Jan E. is on, Won also. Jan's team went undefeated (had two frist round byes) and had 3 qualifying spots, one for regular season champs and two from a wildcard spot.

Looks like Vegas will be getting a taste of Hamiltucky soon.. I hope I get to go and watch.. LOL

cycopath
05-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Our area doesn't have city cup play-offs until June, I think. My team is already qualified for play-offs by finishing first last session. We don't have to do anything this session and we still go to play-offs, but we are currently in first place this session also. I'll let you know if we go to Vegas.