PDA

View Full Version : English and potting

bluewolf
05-18-2003, 04:27 PM
We have come to an amazing discovery. I do not know the difference between inside english and outside english.

I can analyze it and say which each one does and if I see a diagram I can tell which one it is, but when I get down on the ball I have no idea.

I took at the angle, I see the pot and I see where I would like for the cueball to go. When i get down some part of my brain takes over and I just shoot it so the ball will drop. Other than focusing on the center on a straightin shot, the thought of english rarely crosses my mind.

If you ask me did I use english or not or what kind or if I missed, why, I can give you an answer but it will more likely be backwards because my analytical brain was not in gear.

When i shoot like this, the balls drop. When I think, they do not drop.

So when people tell me not to use ie or whatever, i can follow what they say in my drills, but when I start shooting, nothing about that even enters my mind. Nothing exists but the angle line, the pot and where I see the cb going (even if it does not go there, I see where it should go).

Maybe that is why I have been doing better in my last ten matches. Once I got over the nervous part, the analytical mind runs away from me with the speed of a freightrain when I get down on the ball. And I also do not care how many games i have won or lost, if I am on the hill or not. So in a sense I guess that is focus.

The main point being that I can analyze, but that feel side is just taking over more and more and I might be doing the english thing all wrong but the balls keep dropping.

Laura

Rod
05-18-2003, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The main point being that I can analyze, but that feel side is just taking over more and more and I might be doing the english thing all wrong but the balls keep dropping.

<hr /></blockquote>

There you go thinking again! LOL Fine just use it. What ever you do don't analize it 6 feet under! You'll learn that stuff in time. Your aware, all progress (on that subject) starts here.

bluewolf
05-18-2003, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>

There you go thinking again! LOL Fine just use it. What ever you do don't analize it 6 feet under! You'll learn that stuff in time. Your aware, all progress (on that subject) starts here. <hr /></blockquote>

When I used to ask a good player specific questions, they would say 'depends on the shot' Maybe the light bulb is coming on.

Ya know what got me thinking. Fast Larry told me not to use ie. I told him I used oe, then he said I was using ie when he was at my house.

I had never thought about it until then. When Ray watched me, that is when we realized that what I thought I was doing I was not and what I thought I was not doing I was.

But i did not do the same thing on every shot. It depended on the shot but it was not a conscious thing.

Thanks rod. Is not thinking what you guys do when you are playing?

Laura

Rod
05-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes, not thinking is what I do while playing. I think before I play.

bluewolf
05-19-2003, 04:08 AM
I have a reason for asking this.Randy said 'thinking equals standing', then went into various detail this concept.

Do you do your thinking before you play in general or before you get down on each shot?

The reason I ask this is because once I start playing, I do not think at all, unless I am doing some kind of drill.

I do not want it to seem like I do not have a brain while shooting. It is just that there are no words, just pictures of the angle line, etc in my thinking.

I tried to do it the anylytical way, thinking about everything, and it gave me nothing but a headache, because I am not made that way. My brain is just a feel, think in pictures type brain so I went back to what I really was.

That is when I started getting better. Have not tested it in a match yet, though.

Laura

ps- every now and then I get a relapse in thinking and it is then I beat myself up,when I need to screw thinking and just shoot

pooltchr
05-19-2003, 07:38 AM
I think Randy's point is that when you are standing, that is the time to look at the table, determine how to hit the shot (aim point) what kind of speed and spin you need to get shape on the next ball, etc. (Thinking!) Once you make those decisions, that is when the chalk goes down, and you stop thinking and execute. Like standing in front of the refrigerator thinking about what you want to eat. Once you see that peice of cheesecake, you stop thinking, and go for it! Make sense?

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2003, 07:50 AM
pooltchr posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Like standing in front of the refrigerator thinking about what you want to eat. Once you see that peice of cheesecake, you stop thinking, and go for it! Make sense?
<hr /></blockquote>

Great analogy..

Do all you thinking standing up, only get down to execute.

bluewolf
05-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks. Perfect sense. The only thing I am thinking about is 'set, pause, finish, freeze' and my new 7inch bridge.

The stroke is the most important so I do make sure I do that right.

Laura

Rod
05-19-2003, 09:36 AM
I do my thinking standing before every shot. If I think at all while down it is only in the sense of minute aim adjustment. That is more instinct really but I think you have to call it thinking. I don't get bogged down with will i get position or make the ball. If one does and all systems aren't go then they need to stand back up.

Rod

phil in sofla
05-20-2003, 09:27 PM
My memory for my or anyone else's shots is about 1 shot long, and sometimes not even that. People say things like "back on the four ball, I was trying to...,' and I usually have no concept of the situation they're describing, even having seen the whole thing a minute ago. Even if I'm the shooter, get out, and they say 'nice shot on the 7,' I rarely would remember what the shot was.

But when I'm shooting, I always know what I'm shooting with, whether inside, outside, straight top or bottom, or nothing. What IS becoming unconscious for me recently is how to get 'there' from 'here'-- I just vividly imagine it happening as I want it to, and evidently I'm getting experienced enough that my mind/body knows how to calibrate the right amount of stroke and/or English to accomplish the shot/shape situation. I find that mysterious, amazing, and very cool!

I'm wondering what else I could do in that way, more intuitively and by feel than analytically. I'm seeing and shooting at imaginary balls in imaginary mirrors as a one-rail kicking system, and it's fine tuning itself now to where I can hit a particular side of the ball I'm kicking to, by aiming to that side of the ball I'm 'seeing' out there in space, often pocketing the ball, or getting the right hit to safe my opponent.