PDA

View Full Version : Vegas - final report (way too long)

SPetty
05-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Howdy,

Been thinking about my past 10 days in Vegas...

Every time I leave home for more than a few days, I lose a pet, so I refuse to ask about them any more when I'm gone. However, I'm pleased to report that when I got home this evening, all the pets are still alive and missing me!

I didn't lose a friend in the scotch doubles event as can happen; I had a great tiem placing in the money in the singles event. I'm learning a little more how just one shot changes everything. Miss once and that's it. Really tough.

I missed the semi-final pro matches due to still being in the running in the amateur women's open tournament. We ended up finishing 13-16 out of 130-something teams. Not bad. Scott Lee made it into town and had stopped by to check it out, so I gave him my VIP ticket for the semi-finals. Sure glad the ticket didn't have to go to waste.

Rip didn't show up for the finals, so I didn't even have the chance to say "bye". So, Rip, if you read this... "Bye!" I'll be back in Vegas for a weekend in September for the Hunter tour event.

Eric., however, did a great job of holding Rip's seat for him, even if he didn't have VIP tickets. Eric. was silly enough to suggest that Allison would be Karen by no less than 7-4, so I took that bet. Well, he changed it up before actually accepting the bet - he bet that Allison would beat Karen by at least two games.

I took the bet. As you know by now, Karen dominated the match 7-1, so because I won the bet, I had a double shot of Cuervo Gold to keep me company for the men's finals. Eric. was also nice enough to run down and get us some food - you know, the $0.99 shrimp cocktail special!

During the finals, it was extremely evident that the crowd favored Allison for the women and Busta for the men. They were both the ones in the winner's bracket waiting to play the finals, and they each lost. I heard someone say that 65% of the time, the people that come through the loser's bracket win the match. Do you think so? I get a little uncomfortable with the crowd so evidently favoring one player, so I often root for the less favorite player.

I got to see some of the Bobby Pickle show. If you ever get the chance, check it out.

Here's my favorite story of one of our local DFW teams in the trophy event. Their match went hill-hill. The last match was against the jerkiest jerk of a pool player. The kind of guy you hear about - delay of game, screwing around, sharking, being a jerk, etc. He was icky. Anyway, it came down to an easy eight ball shot for the good guys. Our guy couldn't take the pressure of the extreme quiet with hundreds of eyes watching and missed! The other guy sauntered up to the table and... missed! So, our guy gets back to the table, takes his time..., feels the pressure and missed! The other guy gets another shot and... pockets the eight ball in the corner... they cheer!... then the cue ball slow rolls all the way over to the side pocket and scratches! If I wasn't a believer in karma before, I am now! That was a great ending to that match.

I got to play a little "Who's on first" episode with Spiderman when he asked about Eric until interrupted by Big Jeff from Talisman. I saw Big Jeff from Talisman several times, and each time he said something like "I owe you some tips - they're in my room". So now I believe he exists, but I'm still not sure that there's free Talisman tips in it for people who find him... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All in all, I had a great time. More pool than you could handle - both professional and amateur. Sometimes, the amateurs are better than the pros... You get to watch pool and play pool and talk pool and buy pool. I sure hope that you guys don't end up being right about me regretting not buying the Schon cue.

I still think it's great fun to walk around the Riv and catch snippets of conversations. Everyone is talking about their last game or their teammate's last game or whatever. "The cue ball was here and..." "They got lucky with a good roll and..." "And then the eight ball rolled..."

Wish you all could have been there. Eric. was a great "Julie, your cruise director". Let's all make plans to attend next year, O.K.?

nAz
05-18-2003, 08:23 PM
WOW sounds like you all had a great time,maybe next year I can make that event!

Emmmmm $0.99 shrimp cocktail! Really??

9 Ball Girl
05-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Great post Susan. You can count on me being there next year. Can I count on you to be at the US Open next year?

Wendy~~~tit for tat /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
05-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Now that's an informative post. I misread it earlier and thought that Allison won. She has been having a hard time of it lately and thought she came out of it, but once again, Karen prevailed.

Sounds alot like last year. Didn't Bobby Pickle play in the pro event? Can't remember if he was one of the ones that was told to either play in the pro event or not be able to play at all. I know Jesse Bowman played in it, but didn't fare so well.

I hope we can make it next year. Going to the Open this year and possibly Derby City and Valley Forge as well next year, so we'll have to see about Vegas. Not a problem getting qualified, and plan on playing in the amateur event if we do go. With any luck, I'll draw you, LOL.

I'm so glad you had a good time. Sounds alot like last year, and that's one I will always remember.

Thanks for the great post, Susan.

Heide

Rich R.
05-19-2003, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I sure hope that you guys don't end up being right about me regretting not buying the Schon cue. <hr /></blockquote>
There is no question, you will regret it.
That is, unless you quickly find another cue, you like even more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2003, 05:57 AM
SPetty,
I guess you are the cub reporter as Eric is "julie" the hostess.

Great post, and it all sounds wonderful.

Rod
05-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Good report SPetty. Wish I could have been there. Those snippets of conversation are everywhere aren't they? Pool Pool Pool it's everywhere at the Riv. I plan on next year.

Rod

SpiderMan
05-19-2003, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I plan on next year.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
05-19-2003, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> WOW sounds like you all had a great time,maybe next year I can make that event!

Emmmmm $0.99 shrimp cocktail! Really?? <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, 99 cents and each one has about a half-pound of popcorn shrimp on it! I held myself to two of them before we (Eric, me, Susan, Tom) hit the Rio for all-you-can-eat lobster tail.

SpiderMan

nAz
05-19-2003, 05:02 PM
did you guys/gals hit the slots? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

05-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey there people. Im new hear, so.. ya anyways. I was there at the Vagas Tourny this year. it was pretty bad ass. I dident play, but next year i plan to. I dont know whoever you are(whoever posted this thread) but you might have seen me, i was the funny lookin guy with the dorky straw cowboy hat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif , The pro match was pretty cool but i was pulling for the 15 year old Ana Kostanian. I think she could have done better then she had though. (and if anyone has her e-mail that would be so cool) well gotta role, ill post later..

Eric.
05-19-2003, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Howdy,

Eric. was silly enough to suggest that Allison would be Karen by no less than 7-4, so I took that bet. Well, he changed it up before actually accepting the bet - he bet that Allison would beat Karen by at least two games.

<font color="red">I was hustled /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

I took the bet. As you know by now, Karen dominated the match 7-1, so because I won the bet, I had a double shot of Cuervo Gold to keep me company for the men's finals. Eric. was also nice enough to run down and get us some food - you know, the $0.99 shrimp cocktail special!
<font color="red"> Gee, you make it sound like I was a poor host! I wasn't sure what to get, so between the Shrimp cocktails, Tuna and Turkey sandwiches and bowl of Chili, I thought I covered it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

During the finals, it was extremely evident that the crowd favored Allison for the women and Busta for the men. They were both the ones in the winner's bracket waiting to play the finals, and they each lost. I heard someone say that 65% of the time, the people that come through the loser's bracket win the match. Do you think so? I get a little uncomfortable with the crowd so evidently favoring one player, so I often root for the less favorite player.

I got to see some of the Bobby Pickle show. If you ever get the chance, check it out.

<font color="red"> My friend Danny Basavich caught the Bobby Pickle show too /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font color>

Here's my favorite story of one of our local DFW teams in the trophy event. Their match went hill-hill. The last match was against the jerkiest jerk of a pool player. The kind of guy you hear about - delay of game, screwing around, sharking, being a jerk, etc. He was icky. Anyway, it came down to an easy eight ball shot for the good guys. Our guy couldn't take the pressure of the extreme quiet with hundreds of eyes watching and missed! The other guy sauntered up to the table and... missed! So, our guy gets back to the table, takes his time..., feels the pressure and missed! The other guy gets another shot and... pockets the eight ball in the corner... they cheer!... then the cue ball slow rolls all the way over to the side pocket and scratches! If I wasn't a believer in karma before, I am now! That was a great ending to that match.

I got to play a little "Who's on first" episode with Spiderman when he asked about Eric until interrupted by Big Jeff from Talisman. I saw Big Jeff from Talisman several times, and each time he said something like "I owe you some tips - they're in my room". So now I believe he exists, but I'm still not sure that there's free Talisman tips in it for people who find him... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All in all, I had a great time. More pool than you could handle - both professional and amateur. Sometimes, the amateurs are better than the pros... You get to watch pool and play pool and talk pool and buy pool. I sure hope that you guys don't end up being right about me regretting not buying the Schon cue.

I still think it's great fun to walk around the Riv and catch snippets of conversations. Everyone is talking about their last game or their teammate's last game or whatever. "The cue ball was here and..." "They got lucky with a good roll and..." "And then the eight ball rolled..."

Wish you all could have been there. Eric. was a great "Julie, your cruise director".

<font color="red"> the pleasure was mine </font color>

Let's all make plans to attend next year, O.K.?
<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
05-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Big Tom hit them pretty hard, and came out bruised. I think he was down about $4,000 by the time we left town.

SpiderMan