PDA

View Full Version : OH OH Elbow drop revisited

Rod
05-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Over the years we at the CCB have discussed this topic. Well not exactly true, we have worn it out. LOL I've noticed over the last couple of years, but never said anything that Karen Coor has a drop.

OH No you say. Well it's true, don't believe me? Just watch her on TV or for that matter you that saw her in Vegas. Were you paying attention? Unless she changed her break has a big drop. Not a drop after the c/b but right from the start. Point is I wonder why that is? During the game she is about flawless, way to mechanical for my tastes but very solid all the same. Why would she incorporate such a move, or does she know she is doing it? Food for thought.

I've tried to see Allison in the past but the matches I've seen is always covered by the camera angle.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Rod,
I've noticed what you are talking about with players that get their chin on the cue while shooting. It seems that the elbow does have a natural tendancy to drop on the follow thru. Maybe its a physical thing, Karen is Taller than Allison. Bending over more may make the elbow more easily dropped? Just an observation

Rod
05-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Tom,
The only problem with that theory is Karen stands more upright to break. I think it's a power thing myself. She doesn't really break that hard though so it doesn't add up to me.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Rod,
I wonder if Mr. Fusco has had any influence in Karen's break. It is confusing, I agee, maybe she just has the 'auto-correction' gear engaged. Seems to be working for her.

05-20-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
I've noticed what you are talking about with players that get their chin on the cue while shooting. It seems that the elbow does have a natural tendancy to drop on the follow thru. Maybe its a physical thing, Karen is Taller than Allison. Bending over more may make the elbow more easily dropped? Just an observation <hr /></blockquote>

Tom, It's interesting that you make this observation. This is a problem I have been trying to deal with for a couple of months now every since my lesson with Scott revealed I needed more follow thru. I shoot down low with my chin down on my cue. My elbow is elevated and so during my stroke when my forearm is vertical to the table at cue tip cue ball contact I am already past the half way point of my stroke allowing less distance for follow thru. Two suggestions were to shorten my bridge, which I would rather not do, or lengthen my grip. The only problem I have with increasing my grip is when I make cue ball contact my forearm is not quite at the vertical position. What gives me hope is that players like Fisher and Corr also shoot with their chin down on the cue and get follow thru. I have been wanting to specifically watch Corr shoot and now I'm hoping Rod is only talking about her elbow dropping on the break. As it stands now while looking for answers I am much too self concious of my stroke to get into a groove and play natural.

Fred Agnir
05-20-2003, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I've tried to see Allison in the past but the matches I've seen is always covered by the camera angle.

Rod<hr /></blockquote>She has the elbow drop on the break as well. I've got a still picture of her on her break. She's pretty jacked up, aiming well low on the ball. If she doesn't drop the elbow, she'd draw the cueball back pretty quickly, as straight as her stroke is. She drops the elbow.

Fred

Rod
05-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Davis,
It is only on the break and her stance is much more upright.
Normal play as I mentioned there is very little movement. If your going to assume that stance then you have to accept what goes with it without moving the elbow. The follow thru will be shorter. If I was to error my back hand would be a tiny bit long. IMO that does not have to be perfect. If you watch the finer points of very good pool players you will see that is not always perfect. Some shots call for a different set up. Pool is a game of adjustments, it's not near as rigid as some may think.

When I hear people wanting to be so rigid in their stroke/setup I think of them being in a body cast. I don't know about you but I'd hate that feeling. When your comfortable with your set up it works no problem. Learn the rythm and timing within that area and your stroke wiil be more than adequate. As a foot note I don't have a problem with the upper arm going forward. However that is well after the cue ball has been struck (never before) it happens naturally in the follow thru.
That is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I'm not trying to change anything you have been taught. Scott saw you first hand and knows what your doing and what he is doing.

Rod