PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a Custom Cue

Carlton31698
05-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Advice on buying a Custom Cue.
There has been a lot of questions about custom cues floating around lately. I thought I would share how I picked mine, in hopes of helping any one else thinking about a custom cue.

I have been lucky enough to have the chance to play with cues from a lot of the major cue manufactures; Meucci, McDermott, Joss, Schon, Viking, Mail, Cuetec, Itís George, Huebler, Josswest, and Schmelke. As well as a fair number of custom cues; Espiritu, More, Gilbert, Hunter Classic, Nova, Bludworth, Ewrin(sp), and Ezell. Having played with these cues over the years I had a good idea of what I liked and what I didnít like in a cue.

I met the Cue Maker that I ended up using about 8 or 9 years ago at a pool tournament Lets call him Joe. I played with one of his cue and talked with him during the tournament, he was a real nice guy that made a nice cue, but I was playing with An Andy Gilbert and a Joss at the time so I wasnít in the market for a cue at the time. Well about three years ago the same cue maker was doing cue repairs at my poolroom during our annual tournament. I went 2 and out in the tournament so I spent the rest of the day talking with him about cues and how they were made. I learned a lot about cues, and I was very impressed with his work. A few weeks after the tournament I picked up two old McDermotts a D 12 and a D16 for fifty bucks each, so I sent both cues to Joe to have new shafts and be refinished. When I got the cues back I could not have been happier. They looked great, and the new shafts, with Joeís taper, played just like I liked. Four months later Joe came back for I next tournament, during the tournament we talked about the cue I wanted, I spent the next month on the phone and at Joeís shop nailing down what I wanted in a cue we used my experiences with the cues I listed above to decide how I wanted my cue to play. While I was in his shop Joe took the time to explain and show how cues are made. After the time in his shop I have a real understanding what makes cues play different ways. While Joe was making my cue he kept me informed of his progress the whole time. I went to his shop, which is two and a half hour drive from my house, to watch him build my cue. If you ever get the chance to watch a cue being built take it. Most people will be amazed at the amount of work that goes in to a custom cue. After I got my cues, I ended up getting a jump/break cue as well, back they were exactly what I wanted, perfect. Thanks to my Cue maker Joe Ezel. Joeezell@southernbilliards.com

Now for the advice part.
1 Play with as many different cues as you can so you will know what you like.
2 Talk with the cue maker ask questions, have them explain anything about the construction of cues that you donít understand.
3 Play with one of there cues If they wont let you try out one of there cues go to another cue maker!
4 Visit their shop if you can.
5 Really plan what you want custom cues cost a lot your cue should look and play like you want, if you take the time to plan your cue itís hard to be disappointed.
6 Listen to advice from your cue maker, He knows more than you do about building cues.
7 Keep informed on your cues progress as it is being made, Custom cues can take months to years to make.
If you questions let me know Carlton Rhodes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John G
05-19-2003, 01:50 PM
Excellent advice. It's what everyone should do befor buying a custom cue, there'd be a lot fewer disapoinments. Especially get to know your cuemaker.

cycopath
05-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Excellent advice and cool story Carlton. Got any pics of your custom cue?

Drake
05-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Great Advice. I didn't see Keith Josey Custom Cues listed. His cues hit very very stiff...beware. He stands behind his work 100 percent and is one of the nicest guys you can ever meet. Check his cues out at www.joseycues.com (http://www.joseycues.com)

Carlton31698
05-20-2003, 07:32 AM
Go to http://southernbilliards.com/pjfallfollies/ download the photojam pictures, my cue is the only one shown. It is the third or forth picture. When I get a better picture I will post it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yuppie
05-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Does anyone know about Hearn, Perry or Prather cues?

Also, is there REALLY much difference in the hit between a custom and production cue? Or is the price difference reflective of the woodwork? Or both?