PDA

View Full Version : Basalt vs Simonis/Room Owners

slim
05-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Which cloth is more difficult to slightly tear on a scoop jump? Also, if they both tear about the same, which cloth will be better at keeping the nick in the cloth from spreading (enlarging)?
Thanks, Slim

9 Ball Girl
05-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi Slim. I know this doesn't help since I don't know much about cloth, but I can tell you that "scoop" jumps are not legal so why do 'em?

Pizza Bob
05-19-2003, 02:37 PM
I would assume (yeah, I know - ass out of u & me) that slim is a room owner and someone destroyed the cloth on one of his tables by scooping. I have played on both and they are both pitched by their respective manufacturers as being worsteds with appx the same fabric content and playing characteristics. The weight of the cloth may tell you something - again assuming (LOL) the heavier cloth (if there is one) would be less prone to tear. I would think that once nicked they are probably about equal in containing the breach in the cloth - this may be more a function of how tightly the mechanic stretched the cloth during installation, rather than a function of the cloth itself. One of you table mechanics want to chime in here?

Adios,

Pizza Bob